SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

6 minutes ago, jbshan said:

You going to paint the interior of the funnel stacks soot black?  Just curious, not critical.  Beautiful work.

Correct Joel,

that is my intention, when all the guy wires have been mounted...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Just curious as to what shenanigans  you employed to fabricate your external ladders for the funnels.........?:rolleyes:

I could probably guess how you made them...but full disclosure on your part would further solidify my impression of your fabricational skills.  :P

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

1 hour ago, rwiederrich said:

Just curious as to what shenanigans  you employed to fabricate your external ladders for the funnels.........?:rolleyes:

I could probably guess how you made them...but full disclosure on your part would further solidify my impression of your fabricational skills.  :P

Rob

Hi Rob,

with ref. to the ladders (brass, only 3,3 mm wide), the credit goes to Aeronautic model fittings, article AE574002.

I used these several years ago on my "Heinrich Kayser" funnels and fortunately still had "leftovers" in sufficient quantity

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

15 hours ago, gjdale said:

Funnels look terrific Nils - up to your usual exceptional standard!

thank you for your kind compliment Grant, 

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

On 02/03/2017 at 3:21 AM, popeye the sailor said:

just ran that through my conversion chart.   if I did it right,  it came to about 8 pounds, 2.5 oz  

Denis that is about what I got. 8.2 pounds. 

G'Day Nils

I have gone through all the adjectives that I could say about the funnels. But the best that I can say is an Ozzie term, so here it is again: bloody fantastic!

Regarding what Joel said about painting inside the funnels soot black..... I think the ship's engines will soon make them quite sooty. The ship looks so real! 

Havagooday my friend 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

12 hours ago, gregchard said:

Denis that is about what I got. 8.2 pounds. 

G'Day Nils

I have gone through all the adjectives that I could say about the funnels. But the best that I can say is an Ozzie term, so here it is again: bloody fantastic!

Regarding what Joel said about painting inside the funnels soot black..... I think the ship's engines will soon make them quite sooty. The ship looks so real! 

Havagooday my friend 

Greg 

Hi Greg,

thanks for your nice compliment...., yes , several hundred tons of coal per day fed into the boiler`s furnaces sure did leave some enough soot in the exhaust gasses of the funnels...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

As so many, I'm following your log with great interest & admiration.

As this is a scratch-build log , I can only refer here to a famous German writer : "In der Beschränkung zeigt sich erst der Meister."

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

21 minutes ago, Barbossa said:

Hi Nils

As so many, I'm following your log with great interest & admiration.

As this is a scratch-build log , I can only refer here to a famous German writer : "In der Beschränkung zeigt sich erst der Meister."

Christian,

thank you very much for your kind and appreciated words, 

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

4 minutes ago, Dubz said:

Muss mir den "Pott" irgendwann mal in Natura anschauen :) Great build Nils!

Dirk

Gerne Dirk,

ich würde mich auf Deinen Besuch freuen...., let me know when you have time, its just around the corner for you

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update

Build log part 54

railing has been added to the mid ship platform, and funnel 3 + 4 understructures have the lights fitted. Also all vents and gratings fitted.

The upper platform is supported from the lower deck at both outer sides. These supports fit between two davits in order to enable their swing function...

Nils

DSCI4689.thumb.JPG.2fa5b2dbc07b9d306738877dd7336dd3.JPG

foreground (bottom, left) are the boats winches

DSCI4691.thumb.JPG.1e793b5c25cd37633eedc42c7e7528aa.JPG

The command bridge area now requires some attention

DSCI4692.thumb.JPG.2e20f899ead2f111b966cb2178af098e.JPG

I`m pleased with the progress, its not so very far more to go...

DSCI4693.thumb.JPG.11e53c2634b6a22b0ea41bd8385df54e.JPG

the model is comprising 86 vents in different sizes

DSCI4694.thumb.JPG.4ebc5acc8091f5df14e6129c6e76a4d9.JPG

must be thousands of "rivets" holding the plates together...

DSCI4695.thumb.JPG.9aed2d4fd83b23c9008f1423fd703b49.JPG

one of the deck-crew taking a rest on the aft anchorchain gear

DSCI4696.thumb.JPG.23411f524106ac60e68d28deea044733.JPG

deck curvature can be noticed here...

DSCI4699.thumb.JPG.f68baf654f551dc1624c08fa0ff89697.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils 

I love all the photos and I can see me in that aft chair sitting down and trying to get out of work. 

Again all I can say is bloody marvelous and bloody fantastic!

I'm sure, I will not be the only one who will be disappointed when this incredible venture ends!

Havagooday 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Wow.  She looks absolutely fantastic, Nils.  An amazing piece of work - with so much complex detail.

Ed

Thank you very much Greg and Ed,

for your kind compliments, much appreciated...

Greg,

I think there will still be quite some updates to come, but thanks for your words

Ed,

I`m very pleased that you like it, and would like to return my admiration for your lovely "Young America" clipper build

Also thanks to all the "likes" for clicking the button...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

She's beautiful and almost done.  Fantastic.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thank you very much Bob,

I hope you`re getting along well with your "mariefred" build...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Bob, I`m very pleased that you like the build,

and thank you so much for your kind words...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much for your nice compliment Oystein,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

thank you very much Pawel,

I always enjoy those animated clips of yours.....:)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, I have been following along on your build, all I can say is WOW what a great job. First cabin all the way.

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Hello Nils

She looks better every visit. Great job. But what next???

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Where do I go to book passage on that magnificent vessel....?

2 enthusiastic thumbs way up!

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Stunningly beautiful... Nils.  The amount of detail is amazing right down to the tiny grates on the funnel supports.   Takes my breath away.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)