SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

many thanks to Carl, Captain Poison, Lawrence, Dan, and Greg

for your nice words and comments.....

Carl,

I was much inspired by the 1:100 KWdG models of the professional Kvartett-team, and the one by Peter Davis Garner (Mr. Hollom), but that scale would have called for a 2 Meter long Model, and a card Model in 1:250 would have been something for a modeler with "surgeon skills" in his hands...

Captain Poison,

welcome aboard, I`m pleased you like it, the idea with resembling only the riveted seams of the funnel-plating came per flash one morning, and I tried and approved it...

Lawrence,

thanks for you nice words, much appreciated..

Dan,

I put a little effort into the props, right at the beginning of the build, as I never saw such scale props on the fitting out model after sale market

Greg,

thanks for your words mate, I grew up in Capetown SA, and I remember my father using that adjective "bloody ....." for something he liked much,  etc. but he spent some months in Australia before, so no wonder....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

19 minutes ago, Dubz said:

Großartiger Pott, würde ich mir auch ins Wohnzimmer stellen :D

Gruss,

Dirk

Thanks very much Dirk,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Hi Nils, just catching up again things are looking like they are coming close to the finish, and it's looking great.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

1 hour ago, michael mott said:

Hi Nils, just catching up again things are looking like they are coming close to the finish, and it's looking great.

Michael

Thank you Michael,

for looking in, you`re always welcome...

in the moment I`m thinking of all the boats required, and of possibly doing a sample one (prototype) from wood in a way that a negative mould (in one or two parts) can be taken off it for reproduction. But first I need to gain some experience with silicone rubber resin forming and resin casting from the "rubber mould"

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

58 minutes ago, albert said:

Bravo Nils wonderful work.

Albert,

thanks for your nice compliment, much appreciated...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

small update :

made the lower bridge-deck railings, these guide the first class passengers alongside the structures of funnels 1 + 2  to the staircase that goes down to the promenade deck, so no one gets lost on the boats-level. There are no railing to the sea-side of the boats.

The etched copper railing is too "flimsy" on its own, so I spent a reinforcement rail at the bottom side and the obligatory brass handrail to strengthen the upper side.

Nils

DSCI4762.thumb.JPG.505f68dd63b81eead612cfcd942e682c.JPG

DSCI4764.thumb.JPG.90a35ec8723e95d3d2ea6b52f63a8d59.JPG

DSCI4750.thumb.JPG.17f23fce40e8b16d1f5981677a88ff7d.JPG

DSCI4758.thumb.JPG.48c6c940af12d181e57d0fc2522e35e7.JPG

DSCI4765.thumb.JPG.89aff21cd679f3956faa24e57970b3a4.JPG

DSCI4766.thumb.JPG.71045f3a7151ad546f36c8de6e5bd595.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils - 

You are getting very good with those railings.  Nice work.  

I understand adding "U" channel top and bottom, but what is happening in the 3rd photo, the one on the scorched building board?

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

9 minutes ago, shipmodel said:

Nils - 

You are getting very good with those railings.  Nice work.  

I understand adding "U" channel top and bottom, but what is happening in the 3rd photo, the one on the scorched building board?

Dan

I must admit Dan, it looks a bit strange...

the bottom side has a thin wooden mahagony reinforcement rail from the visual outer side, and that is masked off for painting duration. The U-channel is only at the top side.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Got it.  Now it makes sense.

For the boats, have you considered doing vacuum formed hulls?  That is how the boats were done on the USS Maine in the Brooklyn Navy Yard museum.

58d407c2783fa_small8-centerislandboats.jpg.23bcd3ff4efafbc0144981177b2d32f3.jpg58d407c309d89_small9-breechof6inchgununderboats.jpg.4eceaf7ad89ae302a9b39b24787858e0.jpg58d40753d95c3_small13-gangwayportlookingup2.jpg.5c0664e6a2b963c6cb3f96e297a6ce06.jpg

The learning curve is about the same as for RTV casting, and there are small units available commercially so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Dan,

no. I have`nt considered vacuum forming yet, but many thanks for your very inspiring museum examples. I made the boats for my "Gorch Fock" from a wooden plug, (one for outside , one for inside) by creating a negative mould in plaster of Paris, and then processing them with cast polyester resin. That worked quick and easy, but these intended boats will be a bit more challenging I think, so learn by doing is the theme....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils...I have used my vacuum former to make boats before and they work out wonderful........and easily repeatable.  Thin and easily able to fix all the interior framing.

I have also made a master plug and formed a silicone mold of  it, then cast many boats from that.......

All I can say is....... do what works best for you....that practice.... has already produced fantastic results for you.  :piratetongueor4:

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

many thanks Rob,

for your nice words, much appreciated

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Just stunning work, Nils.   I'm left speechless every time I see your work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

thanks for your nice words, I saw you had a good catch up with the build recently many thanks for looking in, and am pleased you like it

Nils

Thanks also to all the "like this" for operating the button....

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

most likely.......you have more railings to go ;)    nicely done :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Update :

starting with the upper bridge. Made new stairs for replacement with 135 ° angle in the railing. There will be several Y- shaped supports from the upper to the lower bridge...., made one as prototype in brass to see if it works...

Nils

DSCI4779.thumb.JPG.87e5024f420692775fd8f501a5e3b422.JPG

DSCI4776.thumb.JPG.f7ee10852cb53fdf04c2606f8c2ceaf3.JPG

these tiny buggers (stairs, supports) are quite tricky for soldering

DSCI4777.thumb.JPG.7d5a801c9dc5c6e90642b47085845d3f.JPG

but look nice, when done...

sdc13366.jpg.0592092dead6c9f2a2b6836313ef9fa6.jpg

the supports have to be integrated when the upper bridge is mounted, Here an example pic from a nice built card model I found on the web

DSCI4780.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

26 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

most likely.......you have more railings to go ;)    nicely done :) 

Thanks Denis,

well, one railing to the upper bridge and one on top of the wheelhouse structure to go....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

nice start on yet another piece of your ship......sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, IgorSky said:

Every time I just do not find the words, Nils! Incredible work!

Thank you very much Igor,

for your nice, appreciative words,...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Beautiful work Nils, She is looking Stunning , Amazing detail 

Best Regards, 

Pete 

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

One other thought regarding the lifeboats is to use a drape form mould.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you very much Pete and Michael,

for your words...

Pete,

glad you looked in and like the build, you`re always wellcome...

Michael,

Thanks for your put in here...

I`m not familiar with the term "drape", but think you probably mean thermo-forming over a wooden mould or so.... 

I have`nt thought it through completely, but there are several alternative ways of production.

What I`ll probably go for at first trial is to resin cast a left and a right half into a mould (horizontal and laying on its side), made from a suitable material and two different detailed wooden plugs that can be hung into the mould from above. This way I can produce either boat-halves closed with canvas, or open boats with view to interior fitting out. Each boat half shall require post and individual treatment.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Fantastic build.  What more can be said?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

11 hours ago, captainbob said:

Fantastic build.  What more can be said?

Bob

Many thanks Bob,

nice comment, much appreciated..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils

I always thought your model was incredible, but I was wrong! It's bloody amazing incredible. 

Looking at that finished model that you showed us re the Y brace, your model is in a completely different higher league than that model.

Well done mate.

Havagooday 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

many thanks Greg,

a bloody nice compliment of yours...:D

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

21 hours ago, Greg the peg leg sailor said:

G'day Nils

I always thought your model was incredible, but I was wrong! It's bloody amazing incredible. 

Looking at that finished model that you showed us re the Y brace, your model is in a completely different higher league than that model.

Well done mate.

Havagooday 

Greg 

Hi Greg,

the braces worked out fine, it was a bit tricky to get the fastening pins align to the small holes in the lower bridge, so that all of the braces find their correct place....

Nils

DSCI4783.thumb.JPG.2935cfad25801e98ad8262f5c375b077.JPG

the pins on the upper side will be cut flush with the deck surface before planking this....

DSCI4787.thumb.JPG.198eda36b15ff2e201686effe12fddaa.JPG

priming and painting from the underside

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils 

They look bloody marvelous mate!

There's an expression in Oz that means when you do something great your self -  It's like a bought one.

havagooday my friend 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...