SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Thank you Jason,

from now on the design goes after the sequences requirements, I have a certain pattern im my mind, but still there may come some unforeseen necessity for short term adjusting here and there. If I were designing a "kit" one could say,,, the first prototype and see what comes out...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I love the size Nils!    simply awesome......slip set up is awesome too!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thank you for your nice complement Popeye,

very much appreciated..

The size was limited to max. 1500 mm, looks like it will turn out appr. 1390 to 1400 mm over all, but still considered as scale 1:144, but its going to be a "beast" compared with my other models.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Thanks for dropping in Nigel,

and thanks for your nice appreciation

its good to hear from you again, hope all is well on your side (job and house moving related....)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much Bob and Mr. Pucko,

and all the "likes",

Bob,

I was also very much interested in building a British Naval Cutter of 1777, but then favoured this odltimer Atlantic runner which was also on my list as the next Project.

AnywayI have saved up all my gathered cutter-Information and plans though, perhaps for the overnext...

Mr. Pucko,

Thanks for your Kind appreciation

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hartmut and John,

thank you very much for your Kind words and your interest in this build...

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 5

preparing for attaching the stingers to the frames

post-3445-0-74564400-1433498048_thumb.jpg

all frames are set and glued in. The cut out notches for the stringers are also done

post-3445-0-20352400-1433498052_thumb.jpg

there are three places, where the  3 stand M4 spindles go through keel and square bar. Some supporting ply bits prevent later distortion of keel when spindles are tightened to the stand

post-3445-0-89502600-1433498541_thumb.jpg

spindle fitted in and reinforcement cladding both sides to the keel

post-3445-0-51142300-1433498546_thumb.jpg

there are locking nuts M4 on the inside of ship (into the sqare bar)

post-3445-0-56185500-1433498055_thumb.jpg

bow post fitted in and beveled to angle where the later planking will lay on

post-3445-0-58370500-1433498058_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-02434900-1433498061_thumb.jpg

Stern is also prepared for putting on stringers

post-3445-0-36387000-1433498064_thumb.jpg

the stringers have been cut with my hand- circular saw, (which I fitted as a table-saw) Then cut the 2 m long strips from a 5 mm thick plank. I wanted to have the stringers over the full ship length in one piece

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

a very interesting design.......I like the idea of the stringers.    I also like the size ;)   super progress at this point Nils  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks Popeye,

my other ship hulls are also built comprising stringers of pine wood. If the stringers follow the frame outer contours without dents and boils, the planking afterwards shall be an easy job to do. Also the stringers provide very useful hold for glueing and for for all the pegs and pins whilst planking. It is also much easier to do the sanding over the stringers and same time in some places the slightly overstanding odd-outer frame potions when fairing (before planking)

I do single layer planking, 2mm thick and use mostly only white PA glue. I do`nt use screws or nails for planking

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nice work Nils, Shes looking really good 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks very much Pete,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Those days I felt some magic appear on MSW, but could not locate it

Today I find your log, and now I know. You are obviously one of the MSW modeling wizards

Can I join  ?

Fantastic work, as always

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Impressive project :-)

Love it !

XXXDAn

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Many thanks Nenad and Dafi,

and all the "Likes".....

Nenad,

thats a nice comment , also wish you all the Magic on your CS, I saw you (like it..) are making so many Details by yourself

Dafi,

Thanks Dafi, glad you like it, and greetings from Glinde to Ludwigsburg

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Starting with the stringers.......

post-3445-0-73700700-1433607872_thumb.jpg

it takes appr. 2-3 hours to have the glue cured, before removing the pins and the pegs for the next glueing session

post-3445-0-46896400-1433607877_thumb.jpg

I`ll have to move the screws that hold the frames more to the outside for having better access to the srews now, before further stringers are put on

post-3445-0-23546400-1433607880_thumb.jpg

the relatively long and gentle bows do not bring too much tension on the on the wooden strips

post-3445-0-05595800-1433607883_thumb.jpg

the tricky part of the job though will be the stern portion, maybe I shall use filler pieces to a certain degree....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I've been following along so far, and I'm really excited to see this starting to come together. She's a very nice subject, and the type of ship I don't see done a lot on here (but maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.) You're going to do her justice, I'm sure of it.

I'd love to have space to build and display a model of that size. 

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Another interesting build that will teach me something and how how much I have to learn.  You know how to pick a project Nils.  I might have missed it nut how did you determine the notches for your stringers?

David B

Edited by dgbot

Many thanks to my fellow building mates   Mark - Patrick - Robin - Ben- David,

and all the "likes"

Mark,

I`m happy that you like and enjoy following the progress...

Patrick,

whilst doing the hull I can well imagine, what the actual designers had in mind way back in 1897

Robin

thanks very much. I do hope that the original shaped ship`s magnified shape and lines can be brought into this model, I also love the shape of this early engineering and shipwright design

Ben,

I appreciate your nice comment, and hope you shall further enjoy......

David,

I`m glad you like it. For determining the stringer notches I refer my own drawn frame plan. I`ve set a stringer  at the outside frame contour at the crossing point of every horizontal deckline (see pic below)

Nils

how to determine stringer notches.....

post-3445-0-77106400-1433666731_thumb.jpg

The bilge keels will be brought in later on...

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

looking very nice Nils!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thank you very much Popeye,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks for your nice complement Lee,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 6

Today I built two prop tubes 6 mm diam. with glide bearing bushings at both ends to take up the propshafts made from 3 mm round Brass bar.

some more stringers have been cut and most of them already brought on. Now the sub waterline streamline end claddings were shaped and dry fitted to place. For doing so I had to mount the shafts and the props to check out the clearance to the hull.....

post-3445-0-00548500-1433869927_thumb.jpg

dry fit of props and shafts

post-3445-0-57315600-1433869930_thumb.jpg

two more stringers will go to the port side

post-3445-0-11824500-1433869934_thumb.jpg

note the fastening screws for the frames, I set them to the outside for better access now

post-3445-0-18090200-1433869938_thumb.jpg

the propcircles go so close to the hull, there`s hardly 1/2 mm or less clearance

post-3445-0-62232400-1433869941_thumb.jpg

the base can be tuned to every desired way for all round access

post-3445-0-94698900-1433869944_thumb.jpg

the lines are extreme sharp and slim, just like the actual ship

post-3445-0-36342300-1433869948_thumb.jpg

the portions above the upper stringer line ( line of Promenade deck) will be cut off, when the hull is removed from the base later on

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed