SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Little update....

started with the aftmast shrouds (no ratlines on yet), and some of the "fences" on the aft boatsdeck. The boatsdeck, seawards of the boats gets no railings later on...

Nils

post-3445-0-66256600-1481922567_thumb.jpg

shrouds are spaned with M1 turnbuckle screws

the remaining two of the 6 turnbuckle screws on each side will take up the aft mast backstays (when the ratlines are on the shrouds) 

post-3445-0-78705900-1481922570_thumb.jpg

divding the aft boatsdeck with fence-like barriers, to prevent passengers from going the the boats area (without railings)

post-3445-0-82948000-1481922593_thumb.jpg

The first third and the last third are almost done, now the mid section has to be further built

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils,  Really love your build ! you are doing a splendid job of all the detail which just adds more of that ocean liner charm.

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

G'day Nils

Just amazing as usual.

I showed your log to a friend of mine who was visiting me last night and his mind was blown away. He couldn't believe what you can put into the scale that you are doing.

When he saw your deck chairs on top of your fingertips, that was when he was speechless.

He kept on saying unbelievable with some very colourful adjective which I can't repeat here

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Everyone agrees, your build is fantastic.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

many thanks to - Oystein - Steve - Greg - Gary - Patrick - Albert -  Jase -  Bob,

for your much appreciated words and comments.....

Oystein,

thanks so much for dropping in regulary, and also a merry Christmas to you and Norway...

Steve,

It was my aim to try and build a bit of that nostalgic ocean liner charme, which I also love, into the build, am glad you like it..

Greg,

a great compliment, thanks a lot and also best regards to your freind

Gary,

thanks very much for your kind words

Patrick,

am very happy that you are liking the growth of the KWdG liner

Albert,

thank you so much for your kind words.....

Jase,

Thank you very much for your kind compliments and for joining in and watching the build..

Bob,

Thank you so much for your your kind compliment, I`m happy that you and many others are liking the build....

My thanks also to all the "likes" who clicked in and are watching regulary...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Hi Nils -- I have to share in the chorus of delight over each step of your progress.  I also want to add my thanks for your diligence in keeping us posted on your work.  Your images and your narrative are always a delight.

And of course I have to label myself one of the most desultory posters around!

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Martin,

Thanks so much for your kind comments,

I am delighted by all the positive feedback received from fellow builders, and its very encouraging for me to deliver my best in this phase of the build....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hello Nils,

I just caught up with your marvelous progress since my last post of Nov. 1.  Many things have and are happening around our home that keeps me away.  Not only from all my friends here at MSW but my own shipyard.

Wonderful additions to your ship Nils, very impressive work, thanks for sharing and your explanations.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Good morning Piet,

thanks for your nice words and for catching up with the build......, hope you could get all things settled and are preparing for a smooth christmas time now with your family,

all the best from here in Northern Germany..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils..........she's looking great!   the decks are really filling out nicely  ;)   I looked back to see where you said you got your railings and ladders from......must have been some time ago,  cuz I couldn't find it.    have a great Christmas..........enjoy the holiday!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Denis,

in answer to your request....

for ladders you can find photo etched brass pattern (must be folded ) and in different scales and versions source at Hobby-Lobby web shop

http://www.hobby-lobby-modellbau.com/onlineshop/index.php/cat/c455_Foto----tzteile.html

for railings you can find photo etched copper and in different scales and versions source at Hamburger Modellbau web shop....

http://www.shop.modelltechnik-hamburg.de/epages/ModelltechnikHamburg.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/ModelltechnikHamburg/Categories/Modellschiffbauteile/Reling__Gelaender

wishing you a happy christmas season....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

thanks Nils..........1:124 is a tough scale to find.   I did find that Edwards makes the photo etch for the academy Titanic,  but so far,  1:20 is the closest I've gotten.

.....can someone get these DARN sugarplums out of my head!  :o

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

A little update...

the aft vents are tuned to the right lengths and painted. The aft mast is is rigged, the stays and backstays set and the ratlines are mounted to the shrouds.

Some additional lifesaver rings are assembled

Hope you are all had a nice Christmas time and Santa has delivered the one or other little surprize.....

Nils

post-3445-0-00594700-1482771601_thumb.jpg

about 2/3 of the boatsdeck are on (without boats)

post-3445-0-24025700-1482771603_thumb.jpg

Aft mast rigging....

post-3445-0-79794100-1482771605_thumb.jpg

the vents are shortened and painted

post-3445-0-06696100-1482771608_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-04537700-1482771610_thumb.jpg

have to continue with the forward boatsdeck, right up top the command bridge area

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Absolutely beautiful, Nils.  The full-length pictures really show her off.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Many thanks Mark, Carl and Albert,

for your kind words and compliments, in the moment the small updates are not so obvious to see at first look

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

A simply fantastic piece of work Nils. Every addition just makes it look even better.

Bob

Thank you very much Bob,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Just stunning Nils! What a lovely model you are producing here. Every update shows your care and attention to detail.

Beautiful Work Nils, She looks Stunning, I hope that you had a Merry Christmas 

Best Regards,

Pete 

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Nils she is looking better all the time.

A happy new Year to you and your family.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

G'day Nils

Firstly I wish that you and your family had a great Christmas. My wife and I would like to wish you all a fantastic 2017!

As Mark stated the full length photos shows how splendid your model is. It's also shows how bloody big it is. The original ship must have been enormous.

Like ever one else has previously stated, and I can only echo what was said before.

Fantastic build my friend

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

many thanks Grant - Pete - Michael - Greg and Patrick,

for your words....

Pete,

thanks for looking in, I`m pleased you like the work

Michael,

the thoughts are for the continuation of the forward boats deck....

Greg,

the actual KWdG was at time of launch in 1897 the largest and fastest ship aloat, I`ve been told

Patrick,

thanks for your greetings, and you nice complimemt

Also thanks to all the "Likes" for clicking on..

I wish all a pleasant turn of the year and a good and happy new 2017

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed