SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Thank you very much John,

there are so many points to continue with the ships fitting out in the moment, I realy have to try and get them done one by one, although there are so many ideas (thinking ahead in my mind), that I would like to proceed in many different positions at the same time, just to see if the thoughts would work out....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

G'day Nils

Simply fantastic! The tank, staircase and everything else is beyond belief.

Glad again to see a photo with your thumb in it, it shows how small of the scale that you are working in.

Incredible!

Havagooday my friend

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Don't let your mind go in too many directions.  We like you the way you are.  LOL

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Greg and Bob,

Thanks for your nice comments, much appreciated....

Greg,

the credit for the staircase goes to the producer of the etched brass pattern, I only needed to fold it and angle out the steps at appropriate rake, but you`re right, the pattern is a fine thing, complete without soldering, in opposite to the longer forward staircases at the bridge area

Bob,

I`m trying to keep the thoughts in line with the progress

Thanks also to all the "likes" for clicking in

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

lots of tiny areas to fill with planking........that'll keep you busy for a while  ;)    looking great Nils!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Kees,

yes, I`m very happy with that wood strip source I found at a web shop. The strips are so precise cut and straight and in tight toleraces that it is a pleasure to do planking even with only 2mm wide strips

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update.....

Build log part 52

today is the day where the forward boats deck will be permanently glued on. Between brass frame and deck I use CA and  white wood glue between the lower deckhousings and the boatsdeck.

On this part I did not forget to place the connection holding points for the funnel stays. On the lower bridge its a bit tricky to get the convex deck curvature correct and adjusted to the forseen places of the nav light towers, here also used CA, hope its strong enough...

Also today a last chance to have a look into the inside of this liner, as it is now closed for ever after. Like on all my ships I put a short note (description, year of build, etc . ) into the hull before closing the last opening.

Nils

post-3445-0-92776500-1485524479_thumb.jpg

little red tags mark the places for putting the clamps on (whist glueing)

post-3445-0-98311400-1485524499_thumb.jpg

last look at the inside of the hull

post-3445-0-86404400-1485524516_thumb.jpg

below the deck to go on....

post-3445-0-11240200-1485524519_thumb.jpg

the nav light towers are the forward "anchoring points" for the boats deck

post-3445-0-76584400-1485524544_thumb.jpg

forecastle deck

post-3445-0-47464800-1485524547_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-20622600-1485524549_thumb.jpg

aft deck

post-3445-0-46244100-1485524452_thumb.jpg

deck glued on and clamped down

post-3445-0-79281200-1485524454_thumb.jpg

the boss with the screw is just to curve down the lower bridge wings during glue curing

post-3445-0-19678400-1485524469_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

A big step, closing in the hull.  Congratulations.  A suggestion; don't shake it after to see if anything is loose inside.  You'll want to open it up and take out the loose bit.

Hi Joel,

welcome on board and thanks for looking in. I had a good look inside, but there were only some tiny cut off plank bits and some wood chips that vanished in the vacuum cleaner nozzle.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks a lot Bob,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Great model, Nils

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thank you very much Christian,

for your kind appreciation...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I've been watching for a while.  It's even a better looking ship when you get a finger in the photo and we can see how finely crafted and small everything is.

G'day Nils

I havto echo the other entries.

A big congratulations on closing the hull!

It looks like end end of the build is coming closer all the time.

Havagooday my friend

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Congratulations on reaching another major milestone Nils. She is looking just fantastic.

Many thanks Joel - John - Greg - Carl  - Grant,

for your nice compliments, much appreciated ....  :)

I was about to start with the funnels, this weekend, but the supplier of the ordered brass tube let me down now for several weeks already with no delivery  :(

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils your work is very very nice.

Thank you very much Albert,

a kind compliment of yours...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Congratulations on reaching this major milestone. You've gotta be pretty chuffed.

What's more...what can I say? I just wish I was one centimetre tall so that I could sit next to the old passenger on the bench! Now, that'd be really cool.

Cheers Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Nils

Congratulations on reaching this major milestone. You've gotta be pretty chuffed.

What's more...what can I say? I just wish I was one centimetre tall so that I could sit next to the old passenger on the bench! Now, that'd be really cool.

Cheers Patrick

Thank you Patrick,

I think one day I`ll get myself one of those digital endoscope cameras with flexible support to make some "under deck" photographs...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hello Nils,

I am always surprised by the detail wealth.

Hi Johann,

its fun to bing in the details, at least those I find its worth to model them......, there certainly should be much more, but those have to be ignored...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update....

little cabin structure beneath the bridge, and preliminary set up to try position of the first stb. boat (dummy boats cradle only),

There is still so much to do...

as mentioned earlier in this log, some of the upper structures will be of wood, as for the actual ship way back in 1897.

I still did`nt get the ordered "stack- brass tubes", so I chose an alternative material, now its aluminium tube with slightly thicker wall thickness, found at Ebay- Austria, but that should do as well. Expecting this by end this week.

Nils

post-3445-0-80110600-1485885676_thumb.jpg

the structure is only 16,5 mm high. Could be that this is the captain`s quarters...

post-3445-0-76872200-1485885678_thumb.jpg

the crew figurine is "railroad N gauge"  scale 1:160

post-3445-0-07789300-1485885681_thumb.jpg

it must have been about nearly 1000 or more "caulked"  planks to lay over all decks, and still not finished.....

post-3445-0-69848600-1485885682_thumb.jpg

trust that the boats will go on last, when all the upper structures and the four stacks are done

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils

Again bravo on another outstanding piece!

Is the small bridge on the side of the captain's cabin a bridge to the lifeboats?

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

Lovey small cabin model Nils. Marvelous brass items!

Thanks very much Carl,

I`m glad you like it..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed