SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your comment...

some of the making of details depend on the available material of the fore-products I use. The vent scoops (bag feet)  are of thin pressed nickel coated steel plate, which is easy for soft soldering together with brass. In case of brass and aluminiun connections there is still CA allowing a lastable connection...

For the funnels I use Alum. tube OD 26 x 1,5 mm, whereby it was initialy intended to use 26 x 0,5 brass tube, but that supplier let me down. Weightwise it would be round about the same on the ship.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

very nice progress Nils  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thank you very much Denis,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

By following along I see just how much work one of these types of ships are, and all the different ways to accomplish the same task, or effect.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

By following along I see just how much work one of these types of ships are, and all the different ways to accomplish the same task, or effect.

Michael

I agree Michael,

Thats exactly what gives the spice into the meal, as well as a good overview drawing / plan and a lot of enthusiastic scratch modeling and fun....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Danke Karl,

your compliment is much appreciated....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Dang Nils...looking good.  Love how you utilize wood, metal together.  Very clean.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Dang Nils...looking good.  Love how you utilize wood, metal together.  Very clean.

Rob

Thank you very much for your nice comment Rob,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

UPDATE

made some structures and 24 windows, and the first two funnel (raw) sections. The appropriate vents still have to be placed, as well as the quater for the first officer.

Nils

post-3445-0-55844600-1487072893_thumb.jpg

a little paint and gratings on the middle upper structures. The sockets are ready to take up the funnel tubes with 10° backward rake

post-3445-0-64802700-1487072923_thumb.jpg

dry fit of the first two funnels

post-3445-0-29309300-1487072926_thumb.jpg

diagonal its possible to get the total overview on the pic

post-3445-0-13654600-1487072943_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-13861500-1487072945_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-55921400-1487072947_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-22598300-1487072950_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils

Again bloody fantastic is all I can say. Btw 'bloody fantastic' in Australian is the top notch when something is sooooo right.

The diagonal shot is ditto, but can you answer me why a few funnels are facing the other direction? Maybe you answered this before, but I got forgot.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Many thanks to Carl and Greg,

forr your nice comments

Carl,

yes, I`m quite pleased with the progress so far...., in the moment its less pre-planning work

Greg,

Trust you meant the direction of some of the vents (not funnels)...

on the actual ship it was also depending on the direction of the scoops to the wind, the ones facing backward are in "exhaust air mode", but all vents can be turned into the desired direction anyhow, so they mussent necessarily all face forward...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

amazing Nils...........I like the gratings.........nice added detail  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

She's a beauty.  I'm always awed when I look at this ship.  She's so much nicer than the 10 story monsters on the water today. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Nils

Excellentissima! (I'm again running out of superlatives...)

This is an intriguing little question about the position of the vents. Do you think some poor sailors had to adjust them frequently or did they just have perhaps one cruise position and then perhaps one according to the prevailing winds at an actual anchorage?

Thank you for inspiring us.

Cheers

peter

Hi Denis, Bob and Peter,

for your kind comments....

Denis,

I also like those gratings, found them the other day at a web shop, they are made from 1 mm thick hard card, and can be easy cut with a scalpel

Bob,

thats a nice word, I also love rather the nostalgic liners....

Peter,

thanks for looking in again, its been quite some time......

you`re so right with the poor deck-hands who had to set the vents to position. Those large vents of the KWdG were so heavy that that would not have been possible without gear device, also an access-ladder for greasing the gear...., have a look at the pic I thankfully received from one of member Mr. Holloms posts(showing KWdG vent- gear), but I do`nt know if that was common for ships of that era, to turn the scoop per gear shaft and crank handle on deck level ( too difficult to model detail wise in this case)

You may have noted, that here also some of the vents are turned to exhaust position...

Nils

002a.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Are those ventilators directional?  Man..what a jumble(Forest) of ventilators on that old steam liner.

You/re doing such a wonderful job Nils...love it...just love it.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Truly awesome Nils and superb craftsmanship.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I might have missed it(sure I did).  Where are you going to display this beauty....on a dark wood mantle over your brick fire place..?

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Silly question perhaps Nils, but why were the funnels cast aft by several degrees instead of being truely

vertical?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

thanks go to - John - Rob - Piet - Greg - B,E. ,

for your kind comments....

and also to all the "likes" for clicking in....

John,

appreciate your input for the "turning" capability comment, as usual for large vents..

Rob,

yes, they were directional...

for future display I am still seeking for an adequate place in my home, would like to place it somewhere within sight

Piet,

thanks for your nice words, much appreciated

Greg, (dvm27)

with the backward cast of the funnels, I trust it was depending on the construction attitude to have harmonic compliance in rake for masts and funnels of the designers of that era. The 10 ° I measured out of my overview drawing. It could be due to facts I do`nt know by now, or just a fashion of these Norddeutscher Lloyd fourstacker liners

B.E.

thanks for your kind compliment, much appreciated

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Breath taking details, Nils!  Peter & Greg's questions about the funnels/ventilation tubes make the whole construction all the more alive, so that it isn't just a power vessel, but an actual working ship requiring labor.  Fascinating.  And your period photos add to the history of the GWdG. 

Fabulous --

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Martin,

many thanks for your much appreciated words, I`m pleased that you like the build.

I`m still trying to find out where the "Marconi radio booth" was situated on board, as the KWdG was obviously the first German civil passenger ship around 1900 comprising telegram service comunication from high sea, which was much appreciated by VIP passengers

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much Albert and Bob,

your kind compliments are much appreciated

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed