SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

4 hours ago, Omega1234 said:

Hey Nils

Ok.  I'm sitting here wondering...Mmmm, is there ANYTHING that Nils can't do?????

The simple answer seems to be a resounding NO!!!  

Top job, Nils.

Cheers

Patrick

You're correct Patrick, and all that I can hear is a loud NO, all over the globe along with viva Nils as a repeating chant!

Havagooday to all 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

This is to sincerely thank  - Steve - Keith - Rob - Grant - John - Daddyrabbit - Hartmut - Mark - Patrick - Greg, .......

I am simply overwhelmed with so much appreciation and compliments and am pleased the model (even if not completed yet) is so much liked

Steve,

thanks for following on regularly, glad you like it....

Keith,

as she is laying alongside of the fitting out quay, nows the time for adding many details that were going round in my mind....

Rob,

if they wish, MSW members can book a free first ride...

Grant,

thanks for your kind words...

John,

there shall be lots of small detail adding, the command bridge shall be a bit tricky, as well as the ships boats

Daddyrabbit,

I`m quite pleased she worked out meeting my own approval in that scale (I had some doubts in the beginning)

Hartmut,

thanks for your kind compliment...

Mark,

nice words, much appreciated, many thanks to you..

Patrick,

thanks so much for your nice words...

Greg,

thanks for following the build and your kind compliments along with the progress...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

super progress since I last looked in Nils!    really looks sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

16 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

super progress since I last looked in Nils!    really looks sweet!

Thank you very much Denis,

made 2 additional smaller watertanks for the aft boatsdeck today and added the fill- and discharge tubes on all three

Nils

DSCI4701.thumb.JPG.acbd19ade60a0ee6b6a9fc1d9e8a32d4.JPG

DSCI4703.thumb.JPG.586350f73b1702f13376b2311ac17def.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Beautiful work, Nils.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Many thanks Bob, Daddyrabbit and Greg,

for your nice words

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks for catching up with the build B.E.

and for your words, I`m pleased you like it...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

small update :

all the fastening points for the funnel guy wires are placed. In order to check if they go clear with the structures and they do`nt foul the vents and the boats, I put on preliminary thin polyester threads that resemble the tin coated steel wires that will be attached in their place and each one spanned with its own buckle screw. It looks like all is clear to go....

Nils

DSCI4704.thumb.JPG.f1e4f082029cb402a6064bbd476aff88.JPG

DSCI4705.thumb.JPG.d552c4ac1d976b06d8477e9b56f3bcc1.JPG

DSCI4706.thumb.JPG.e0fa867d458f8d420392bb2184af6d3a.JPG

DSCI4707.thumb.JPG.3bced0b112ef4c8f9c17ddf3c5b210cc.JPG

DSCI4708.thumb.JPG.2a5950eeeb2b8514b4b81c97180702c6.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils 

The ship was incredible before the funnels, but it's out of this world now!

What more can I say. 

Havagooday 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

thank you so much John and Greg,

for your kind compliments, much appreciated..., the final guy wires shall be of dull silver color and less dominating

nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Very impressive, Nils. She's starting to look "all dressed up". I would have expected those "funnel stays" to have something to tighten up the tension, or slacken it for that matter.

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

41 minutes ago, cog said:

Very impressive, Nils. She's starting to look "all dressed up". I would have expected those "funnel stays" to have something to tighten up the tension, or slacken it for that matter.

Cheers

Thanks Carl,

please ref to my post-text  #2112,  for tightening the wires there will be turnbuckle screws attached to the deck, (Spannschrauben) for each "funnel stay".

These black threads are only preliminary for checking reasons as mentioned....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

44 minutes ago, cog said:

Thank you Nils. I seem to forget things ... to much interesting news on this site!!!

You`re always welcome Carl,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

33 minutes ago, albert said:

Nils your model is  fantastic.

Albert,

thanks very much for your compliment...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

8 hours ago, cog said:

Cheers

Hi Carl,

in answer to your earlier question, I would like to provide this illustration :

this is what the funnel guy wires will be like, here I started with funnel 3 + 4

The steel wires are 0,3 mm diam. normaly used for wire controlled model aircraft. The fact that they are tin-galvanized coated provides excellent soldering possibilities. The buckle screws are smallest I could find (M1,4 left /right thread), I blackened these chemically.

The small center drilled nickel beads are from a fashion jewelery store

Nils

DSCI4711.thumb.JPG.155a0f1185f06599e60768fa57e6c522.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

That impressive rigging work on the funnels, Nils.  It looks wonderful.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you very much for your kind comments Mark and Carl,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils -- Fabulous!  What your work shows me is that a ship from the early 20th century has its own grace, and is no less complex than one of those architectural beauties of the 18th century (such as your own Pegasus).

It's all very, very fascinating.

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

I agree Martin,

thanks for your words,

that was also a strong criterium for choosing this build. I also love the nostalgic charme of these ships....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Fantastic job on the guy wires Nils.  Good work practice to test alignment first, before fixing the permanent wires.   Saves a load of headaches.

Rob(Launch date is soon arriving ....)

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Rob and Bob,

thank you very much for your compliments for the wires.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed