SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Hi Nils

Back again for more work on my models, your Kaiser is just amazing! So much progress made, WELL DONE!!

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Hi Gerhard,

thanks for looking in again, and for your words...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

10 hours ago, Greg the peg leg sailor said:

G'day Nils 

They look bloody marvelous mate!

There's an expression in Oz that means when you do something great your self -  It's like a bought one.

havagooday my friend 

Greg 

Thank you very much Greg,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

little update :

made and attached two deck lights (one one the midships plattform, one under the bridge deck)

and made braces for supporting the bridge wing cabs from underneath.....

Nils

DSCI4788.thumb.JPG.28b7f97e3f6e6c1a13d1815cddf10167.JPG

DSCI4790.thumb.JPG.006643b6bd495f1f5398292d73efdf21.JPG

did`nt apply filler here yet

DSCI4809.thumb.JPG.8e673b4aa1b90574cce1b02fd212a7b5.JPG

DSCI4797.thumb.JPG.8955aff9c2d0ddd190e4f7840c82dec6.JPG

in the background, the plastic foil that covers the model when not working on it

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

She's beautiful, let me know when she's ready to sail.  I want to book passage.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

9 hours ago, captainbob said:

She's beautiful, let me know when she's ready to sail.  I want to book passage.

Bob

G'Day Nils 

Your can book 2 booking for my admiral and myself on the maiden voyage as well. 

Every entry that you shows us are inspirational. 

Havagooday mate 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Bob and Greg,

thanks for your nice words, and as already mentioned earlier, there are cabins booked for my freinds at MSW for the maidenvoyage...

Now its not so far more to go...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

1 hour ago, albert said:

Fantastic model Nils very very nice.

Thank you Albert,

nice comment, much appreciated...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

First liner to sport 4 funnels...and you made her come to life....luv it.

Rob 

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Hi Nils 

Really, really seriously nice!

When you get a chance, can you pls check with the purser to see if my veranda cabin has been booked. I think I also ordered the lobster for dinner. No hurry, though; just whenever you're free to do so!😀

Cheers

Patrick

Thank you very much Rob and Patrick,

for your nice comments...

The lobster will be served on the last evening, captain`s dinner....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

8 minutes ago, Mirabell61 said:

Thank you very much Rob and Patrick,

for your nice comments...

The lobster will be served on the last evening, captain`s dinner....

Nils

Thanks Nils

I have to wait until the last night for the Lobster???  Oh well....The longer the wait, the more worthwhile it'll be!

Cheers

Patrick

Update :

starting with the bridge front, with card templates for making the brass pannels, all the braces and supports are on and the bridge-plattform is in place

Nils

DSCI4826.thumb.JPG.0b29d90b89c5191fa8c9f817e48cbdb8.JPG

DSCI4827.thumb.JPG.a153843a33d0a356ec0f3096cc4db678.JPG

DSCI4828.thumb.JPG.f987eb241e7898440c3115cda6d3a5fd.JPG

DSCI4830.thumb.JPG.2ea55c0f5e716a613df08e3c26d058d9.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils..have you decided on the manner you will attack the boats and davits?  Vacuum-form or plug?

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Hi Rob,

the davits will be those old fashioned "lantern masts" swing out davits, if you wish, pls. refer to the pics in my post #1325 on page 45....

For the clinker-appeal boats I really have`nt made the final decision yet, but I am "going pregnant" with the cast resin methode, preferably by making each boat in two halves from moulds and plugs, including the seating interior, and alternatively closed boats with canvas cover. Because the boats are only 60 mm long, it neads some special treatment.  I`ll look into that when the bridge work is completed

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Canvas covers a world of  details one can avoid messing with....plus the boats were probably canvassed to protect interior supplies and gear.

Can't wait.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

status update :

still working on the bridge deck and integrating the upper stairs into the railing, and raw-planking the bridge platform. The footpoints of the upper stairs have become a grating for safety reasons...

Nils

DSCI4840.thumb.JPG.6d81b03bb7652bf9cbdc58f30faee9b9.JPG

DSCI4842.thumb.JPG.fbe7c2a5aa8861f7880c79c5d1fb9e0a.JPG

DSCI4843.thumb.JPG.933a6cfba5b6f8dce1b7a52874237b31.JPG

DSCI4844.thumb.JPG.9055d903613d81a24f90a51153ed0d93.JPG

DSCI4845.thumb.JPG.91ac0a5110ba42335a0c63ef9c7dc39e.JPG

DSCI4846.thumb.JPG.639fcd9aa8cee304105b7ada200a2f9d.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils 

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but bloody marvelous mate!

One question though, what is the reason why the landing at the bottom of the stairs is open? The one where the gratings is on.

Havagooday mate 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

15 minutes ago, Greg the peg leg sailor said:

G'day Nils 

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but bloody marvelous mate!

One question though, what is the reason why the landing at the bottom of the stairs is open? The one where the gratings is on.

Havagooday mate 

Greg 

Hi Greg,

thanks for your nice compliment,...

with ref to your question, I do`nt know if I understand it right......

so here a sample illustration, to see what you may mean.

The detail "A" is the open side of the landing, with only a small step on from the lower bridge deck. On the actual ship this might have been locked with a small chain because "access for crew only".

The deatail "B" is in the illustration is a short railing piece that protects persons from falling into the lower staircase from the side, leading downwards. This is not on my model yet, simply because I ran out of railing to make it, but I may make my own one.

Nils

58e4e180f1109_KWdG_brcke_oben_hinten_280509.jpg.fd6c557dd7fba95279b0c10666d6f6fe.jpg

here pic of a card model, borrowed from the web

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks Greg,

trust the answer was already given with my illustrated post #2213

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Are you saying your grating is an incorrect representation?

I would think you would want ventilation from the space below and if the grating was not present the air from below would be trapped under the awning.  Just a guess though.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

1 hour ago, rwiederrich said:

Are you saying your grating is an incorrect representation?

I would think you would want ventilation from the space below and if the grating was not present the air from below would be trapped under the awning.  Just a guess though.

Rob

Rob and Greg,

perhaps the term " grating" is / was a bit confusing, it is simply a framed grate mesh plate to avoid slipping out on possible wet surfaces (rain and rough weather). The officers come down the stairway usualy at quite some pace and also change direction 90° on the landing

The structure to the bottom side is ventilated from underneath anyhow....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Yes, the grating allows the water to drain out (onto the deck aft?) while keeping the landing of the ladderway dry.  You sometimes see gratings around the helm of a ship, laid onto a solid deck, purely for traction.  Also, wood is slightly less slippery than steel, at least in a time when you didn't have miracle paint finishes like today.

Welcome aboard Joel,

and thanks very much for your input...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I've been watching for a while, Nils.  Wooden sail is more my area than steel and steam, but maybe I can make a comment from time to time that is helpful.

Magnificent work, a Grand Old Dame, even if she does have a man's name.

More beautiful work, Nils.  Just for your information, the English term for that type of boat davit is 'radial davit'.  I don't think I'd include the gratings at the bottom of the ladder unless you have evidence for them on the original ship - it would be a very unusual feature.

John