HMS Agamemnon by ETNZ - Caldercraft - 1/64 - first wood build

I have at long last, started the planking. After holidays and other work have prevented progress. Does anyone who has built this beastie recall whether they cut a rebate for the deadwood area or not? It makes sense to me to do so but I cannot see on the logs whether anyone else has done this. Secondly, what routine did people find best? Sectioning off the hull and working from top then bottom and then moving to the top again or just working down from the top?i look forward to gearing from you.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Mike. As I said, they are actually grey not brown. The first photo is probably closest in colour.

I hope to update the build log soon as I have been tinkering around the edges when I have time. I hit a problem with the first planking which has left me high and dry for a while but I think I'll just work outside the (perfectly square to work around the problem and see how that goes. In the meantime, ships boats and guns have been toyed with.

Regards

• 1 month later...

Ok it has been some time but I hit a problem. Well, I perceived it to be a problem! My planks wouldn't line up enough to allow the correct number at the bow where they came to a point. Having looked at other builds, I decided that this wasn't the end of the world, but just pretty near it. As a complete novice, I think it has actually come together pretty well so far. I have made up cannon and started on the ships boats which I am enjoying very much. Piccies of the eighteen footer and pinnacle to follow. Save gluing my fingers to the damn thing every night, these mini models are great fun. So, with rain and rugby to watch in the middle of the day, I began planking again. Well, I seem to have lost my download button. I was going to put up some photos of the planking of the hull. Very long and drawn out proscess but necessary!Ahha, just found it again so I can disappoint you all after all.Except my phone is not transferring to my iPad. My camera photos are too high a quality so that doesn't work either. Ok you'll just have to be patient.

Edited by ETNZ

• 11 months later...

What do you know everyone? I made the same mistake as Mobbsie when it came to lining the gun ports! Damn, b***er and blast! Now I shall have to cut the walls down further to accept the linings. Spent much of last night trimming up with the old No11 and modelling knife handle whittling away waste and trimming to keep the holes tidy only to have to repeat it today. Maybe the dremmel will get a work out with a milling piece to cut out the extra. Great minds think alike it is just a shame that the great minds aren't quite right in what they are thinking!!!! Oh well try try and try again. I am having trouble with adding photos of the slowly developing vessel. Previously if I added a photo from my phone it went up without problem. I don't know if it is the new phone with a better spec camera or what but it says that the res is too high. Is this an easy fix? I am a bit of a technophobe so no long sciency answers pleas.

• 11 months later...

Planking finished, first coat of paint on the body and fixing the brass rubbing strips. I have decided to work on the hull inside and out to get it squared away before I tackle the coppering. I hate the repetitive nature of the planking so I don’t know how coppering will go. Still persevere and overcome. I’m still trying to get photos to upload so bear with me ?

Coppering is okay once you get into the groove. If you're using ca glue I'd strongly recommend getting a mask to protect your lungs (one that deals with vapours not just dust)... you'll get through a fair bit of ca and be sat there a while.

I made a note of which mask I used on my log here (post 71): https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15132-hms-ethalion-1797-by-robdurant-modified-from-caldercraft-164-hms-diana-1794/&page=3

The few times I forgot to use it I regretted it.

I'd suggest doing something to seal the wood before you start otherwise you'll use a lot of ca just wicking into the wood.

Edited by robdurant

• 10 months later...

Copper sheathed bottoms are not my favourite!  Starb’d side finished to the waterline. Guys, I know you like photos but really, watching paint dry would be far more exciting! BBE66248-A626-43A7-922C-3175299FDDE7.thumb.jpeg.a364e7db17b2ca44a4e87cf406bff45d.jpeg3D6B73FE-0047-40FB-8321-27F836B0B8A3.thumb.jpeg.acfd51d8798ea2cd7d6a67bc9fb40169.jpeg443FC26A-E3BA-488E-87FB-71136256FD78.thumb.jpeg.ada2c2abfd46868fa70cce19aab5c549.jpegThese were taken around the halfway stage. Nothing special, just repetition. I’m thinking of breaking and repainting the side before starting the Port side, then moving onto the keel.

No coppering for me yet ETNZ but hopefully I can start second planking soon. I am a slow builder but my summer holiday starts on Friday. Unfortunately the Admiral has ordered me to do some holiday travelling with her and the navy cadets so dry dock activity will probably be low for the coming weeks.

Regards

Henrik

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started" - Mark Twain

My build too has been slow. I have had a period where my build stopped due to a medical issue causing numb hands.  Now this is corrected, I hope to steam ahead. I hope you enjoy the summer. I found the second planking best with individually cut 124mm long planks. A, it gives a better finish under the paint, b, the shaping was much easier. 

Regards 

Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the tip regarding second planking with rather short strips. I will try that and I hope your medical issue with your hands will be better so that I can follow the progress of your build. From your pictures it looks as if you are a year ahead of me (at least).

Regards

Henrik

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started" - Mark Twain

• The title was changed to HMS Agamemnon by ETNZ - Caldercraft - 1/64 - first wood build