Young America extreme clipper 1853 - 1:96 POB model by EdT - Finished

That's a beautiful mother/daughter photo, Ed. It would be a shame to leave junior in it's unfinished state as she is so lovely. But I can understand how burned out you may be after rigging the larger one. Is there any task more repetitive than rigging a clipper ship?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Ed I have learned many techniques through your build.  I like the way you made your rails.  My method for the bow and stern was usually doing a laminating build and then just painting it. Now I have learned another way thank you.

David B

Thank you all.  Its a pleasure doing this when I think someone may benefit.  Of course from return comments and suggestions that beneficiary is often me as well.

Greg, for me a task that rivals rigging is by far making a lot of cannons - and rigging them of course.  I did that once.

Cheers everyone.  I've got a lot of snow to blow today.

Ed

Hi Ed:

Your method of POB building is really great!  I started scratch building the Flying Fish last year.  I came to an impasse with the bow and stern.  With looking over your POB techniques, I have re-started the project.  I have started building the bow and stern using your techniques.  Once completed the new bow and stern will be grafted onto the solid model.  I will need to cut off the existing bow and stern to make room for the new bow and stern.

• 11 months later...

A belated "Well done", or maybe a "Pass with distinction" applies  better. 

I just spent this Saturday evening browsing through this blog and your work, albeit on a simpler construction, is up to you usual standard.

It tickles my mind that I need to return to the workshop doing small work instead of handling wall boards, floor sanding equipment and alike on my spare time...

Many thanks for your inspirational work, Ed!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Wow, W2YSM, I am really behind in following this blog - a year since my last visit.  Somehow I missed the notice on your post.  Sorry.  I am glad the YA POB work was helpful to you.

Hakan, I feel your pain with the wall board and floor sanding - tasks that I am grateful are far in my past.

Ed

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Ed while revisiting your log for the 1/96 version....I couldn't help but wonder if you ever got back to her and finished up her masting and rigging?

It has only been nearly 6 years and I was wondering if you had found new fire within to take her to the finish line?

I'm just now beginning the masting and rigging of my scratch 1/96 Glory of the Seas...myself.

All the best,

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."