HMS Looe - by tbezanis - 44 gun fifth rate 1741 - scale 1:52 - POF

Hi all,

My name is Ted an I'm a live aboard in a small marina in Marathon, Florida. I've done a lot of searching lately and this site looks like the best place to get some answers...but first I need to provide a little back story info to explain what I hope to achieve.

About 25 mile south of Marathon ( toward Key West),just a few miles offshore, there is a dive site known as Looe Key. Back in the 50s the original owner of our marina...(it was a boatyard/fishing camp back then)...discovered an unidentified wreck at the site and salvaged a number of items including a large anchor.. It has since been determined by local historians that the wreck was that of the HMS Looe. A 44-gun fifth-rate warship of the Royal Navy. She grounded on 5 February, 1744.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMSLooe (1741)

In 2011 we received a request from a Historical group in Cornwall, England to lay a plaque buy the remains of the anchor of the fourth HMS Looe. http://www.plymouthh...tail/story.html

Last year we received a call from a local woman who's husband had recently passed. He was a local Keys Historian/Author familiar with our relations with HMS Looe and was in the process of building a model of the ship. His wife thought the Club should have it if we could finish the build.

I should know better from my Navy experience many years ago not to volunteer for anything....but because I've built several small sailboats and recently a new dinghy for our boat...I was nominated the  "Finisher of the Looe". I've determined that it's a scratch build and is nearly completely framed, but I have no documentation or plans other than the Body Plan and some frame templates/patterns. However I did locate a reference to plans RMG: http://collections.r...ects/81968.html

I've looked at some of the amazing scratch builds on this site and know that's way over my head...but I believe I can get this to at least a reasonable display state and hopefully not be haunted by the original builder. Has anyone done something similar to HMS Looe or have any suggestions?

Thank You and What a great site!!

Ted

harbourcayclub.org

After posting the above on "New to the Hobby" forum, under Need Help HMS Looe, I've decided to start a build log...or in my case hope to finish log. 

Here are a few images of what I am starting with:

post-19876-0-32061300-1434050214_thumb.jpg

post-19876-0-22829700-1434050227_thumb.jpg

post-19876-0-23749000-1434050244_thumb.jpg

Hi Ted.

Wow you have started already.

Did you manage to find anymore information on the original ship ?

Will be following along with this build.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

• 1 month later...

A few images on progress with the Looe build. I found a copy of Winfield's 50 Gun Ship (thanks Antony). The early 1700's establishment (page 34 top) is nearly identical to the RMG Looe drawing. So, I'm using that extremely informative book as a reference for deck layout and the limited amount of detail that I'm capable of doing. Also included pictures of our Commemorative Plaque.  

post-19876-0-29933300-1438375555_thumb.jpg

post-19876-0-05604400-1438375586_thumb.jpg

post-19876-0-47772400-1438375604_thumb.jpg

post-19876-0-21512200-1438375617_thumb.jpg

post-19876-0-48356000-1438375641_thumb.jpg

Hi Ted.

Making amazing headway.

Nice choice of timber colours.

Continuing to watch this build develop and grow.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section