Solidworks student edition for military veterans

Hi,

For those interested in giving SolidWorks a play:

If you are a U.S. military veteran you can get the Solidworks student edition for about $25.00 on CD-ROM mailed only to anywhere in the U.S.

The licence is for one year, but I have heard it can be renewed.  I don't know this to be fact.

A special form and a copy of your DD214 must be submitted.  There seems to be no time restrictions in terms of when you were discharged.  I was discharged in 1969 and that flew OK.

The form can be downloaded, filled out, signed and scanned.  The DD214 scanned.  I scanned the two documents as a two page .pdf file.  Solidworks says the upload size limit is 10mb, my .pdf document was 2mb and I still had trouble.  After rescanning to a lower resolution and ending up with about a 500kb document, the upload went smooth.

After Solidworks receives and approves your application, they e-mail you authority to purchase.  The whole process took less than a week.  I know this is a bit more effort that what most of us are used to, but Solidworks is a premier, big buck 3D modeller and a pretty good deal for $25.00.

Be advised -  The Solidworks edition you receive may require a 64 bit machine!

I tried to copy and paste the link a number of times, but I couldn't get it to work. 

Here it is:  http://store.solidworks.com/veterans/default.php?command=Step1

Hope this info is useful.

Ted

Thanks, I've been wanting a copy.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FYI - I had a quote for work months ago and the basic SW version is $3995US

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

• 4 weeks later...

I spoke with a Solidworks CSR on the phone a few days ago. She said that the $20 student version for Vets is renewable annually for the same $20 price. Also, Canadian vets get the same deal by providing a copy of their NDI 75 or CAF 75 cards. I expressed my concern about supplying my Social Security number on the DD214. She said that you can redact any sensitive PID (e.g., SSN) on the DD214 or other ID cards. All they need is confirmation that you served, were discharged, and that you are who you say you are.

Terry

Edited by CDR_Ret

Thanks, I was worried about renewal. 

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

• 4 weeks later...

Terry

I need to check in here more often

I just sent a note to our SW provider to ask if this is true because last time I spoke to him he said there were absolutely no special deals for anyone.

If this is true I can hopefully get a card for $15 (or maybe send them a copy of some paperwork)

Alan

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Alan,

As I wrote in July, I spoke directly with the CSR at Dassault in MA on the phone. She confirmed the Vets deal, that no sensitive identifying information needed to show on the scan of the DD214 (e.g. SSN), and that the program was renewable annually at the same price. Unless she was talking through her hat, I think it's legit. Haven't tried to obtain it myself because my main bathroom is torn down to the framing right now, but I plan to someday.

Terry

I got a copy for the cost of shipment.  $20

Bob

This is the response I rec'd this morning from our local SW rep.

I was able to confirm that this program is in effect.... (snipped) ...

you can purchase the license online.  Support is provided as well.... (snipped)

any files created with this edition are watermarked.

The link is           https://store.solidworks.com/veteran/default.php

price is $20 (I am assuming it is US$)

at this site it states SW 2015/16 does not work with Windows XP  (this may be a problem for me)

Looking at the application form (DND 2381) for the NDI 75 card you must have 10 or more years service in any component of the Canadian Armed Forces to qualify. You require 2 colour passport type photos and payment of a $15 processing fee.

Alan O'Neill

• 3 years later...

I just stumbled across this thread- looks like offer is still in effect, but for the 2018-2019 version now.

I’m curious - what are people using it for in ship modeling?

In progress:  

BlueJacket Lobster Smack 1/8 scale (RC)

1/96 Revenue Cutter Harriet Lane RC scratchbuild

completed:  

1/144 scale USS Guadalcanal CVE-60 RC scratchbuild

Revell 1/305 USCG 327’ Secretary class cutter

Dumas 1/16 scale USCG Motor Lifeboat 36500 (RC)

Lindberg 1/95 USCG Lightship LV-112 “Nantucket” RC conversion

I  have been getting emails from SolidWorks offering savings of upto $4000 -  I tried to see what cost $4000, but there were too many questions.

What are they offering that is worth $4000? 

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

• 4 weeks later...

I just stumbled back here.

$4000 gets you the full Standard version of SolidWorks (not the Premium) but anything you print will have a watermark on it.

Alan O'Neill