18th Century Longboat by Erik W - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48 - First wooden ship build

Well done Erik :) .

Make sure there are no errors anywhere else along the rabbet - this is critical to getting a good start on the planking.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Questions:  I'm following Chuck's instructions with the Longboat and adding the two topmost planks along the sheer first.  To get both the bend of the plank around the bow and the edge bend, I first soaked the plank in hot water, formed the edge bend, then used the hair dryer to dry it.  I then dipped the end that the curved bow bend will be on in hot water, clamped that part around a cap, and then used the hair dryer to dry it.  Is this how you folks do planks with both a regular bend and edge bend? 

Also, I've seen that some folks glue the plank to a couple bulkheads at a time, and then move on to the next couple.  Others glue the whole plank at once.  Which do you do and why?

Thanks in advance!

Erik

I managed to get the first two planks formed.  There is definitely a learning curve.  I think I have the process figured out though.  I got both the edge bend and the bow curve correct.  These two planks took 2 hours! 

The planks supplied with the kit are rough on one edge, so I lightly sanded them smooth (on all four surfaces).  I'll have to do this with all the planks.

post-20029-0-39393600-1436115751_thumb.jpg

Erik

Erik,

Getting the bend of planks will take time.

Have some planks soaked constantly while building will help.

You are doing good, just as per instructions from Chuck.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Here's a tip Erik - stack about 10 or 12 planks together and tape the ends tightly. Then edge sand the lot together ;) . Replace the tapes to do the last bits.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

I attached the first 4 planks.  They turned out fairly well.  I know these were the easiest planks on the hull to do, but the experience should help with the more difficult planks . . . and it boosted my confidence a bit.  :)

post-20029-0-63945400-1436325830_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-37020600-1436325847_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-56352700-1436325867_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-83185600-1436325886_thumb.jpg

Also, when comparing the parts list of the kit on the Model Shipways website with the parts list I receive with the kit (which is dated 2/25/15), I noticed the thickness of the planks had been reduced at some point.  They were 1/32" (.31") before, but are now .20".

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any ideas why Model Shipways did this?  The instructions have not been changed to account for the thinner planks.  So builders choosing to use the .020" planks, rather than 1/32" planks as the kit was designed for, should make sure to take less material off of the false keel at the stern.  Otherwise the planked area of the stern under the transom will be narrower than the 3/32" keel.

post-20029-0-77960200-1436326076_thumb.jpg

Now, on to figuring out the garboard planks . . .

Erik

Edited by Erik W

Straight and accurate, beauty!

As for the wood - with your level of accuracy, think about switching to boxwood (I guess Crown Timberyard have a replacement package). It is such a pleasure to work with and plank with it. You can check pictures in my longboat build log, planked with boxwood (castello).

Basswood planks are soft and fluffy...

Mike, thanks for the compliment!  I'm going to stick with the "soft and fluffy" basswood.  Since this is my first wooden boat build, I wanted to stick with the parts that came in the box.  The basswood planks work fine after about 15 minutes of cleanup each with some fine sandpaper.  :)  

Erik

I have attached the garboard planks.  If the speed at which I installed these was an indicator as to my speed on this build in general, I'd say if I work on it daily, I'll be done some time in 2019.  :)

I looked through every single Longboat build log at other modelers successes and mistakes when shaping, bending and gluing the garboard planks.  I also printed Chuck's photo of the bottom of his Longboat showing a good view of the garboard plank.  I feel I got the shape as good as I can get it, and I'm happy with the way it mounted cleanly into the rabbet.

post-20029-0-09731100-1436736757_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-89488500-1436736768_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-96323700-1436736777_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-05578500-1436736785_thumb.jpg

Erik

That garboard strake is the key and yours look great.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Hello Erik,

I just came across your Longboat build. It's looking very nice so far. It's a fun build. Enjoy!

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Toni,

Thanks for the kind words.  I actually patterned the garboard strake shape specifically after yours.  From the side views you posted, I like how the run of your planks looked in the bow area.

Mike,

Thanks!  I'm hoping to copy the look of your longboat build.  I like the non-painted hull and the minimal use of paint on your interior as well.  With the non-painted hull idea in mind, I'm trying to be extra careful with the planking.

Erik

I'm plugging away with the planking . . . slooooowly.  Since these newest kits come with .020" thick planks, rather than the 1/32 (.031") planks that came in the older kits, I'm trying to keep my planking as flawless as possible to avoid excessive sanding of the hull when the planking is complete.  I don't want to take too much thickness off of these planks!

I'm fairly pleased with my planking results so far.  It's not perfect, but is acceptable for a first ship build.  I'm looking forward to finishing the planking, so I can get things sanded and looking less rough.  :)

post-20029-0-56851100-1437277696_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-23837500-1437277704_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-37561800-1437277710_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-36494600-1437277718_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-73290800-1437277724_thumb.jpg

Erik

Edited by Erik W

That's excellent planking for a seasoned model builder, let alone a novice Erik. Well done indeed :) .

Cheers, Danny

Hmm.  She's staring to actually look like a boat!  I added  more planks.  Seems like I've been planking forever.  I've got my system down though as far as bending, shaping, and gluing on the planks.  Once I think I have the bending figured out, I move further up/down the boat and then need to figure out the shape of the new bends I'll be working with!  Son-of-a . . . :)   I'm at the point on the hull I'll need to use the Magic Tape method, that I saw in another build log, as a way of figuring out my plank bends.  It's getting hard to wing it!

post-20029-0-02545300-1437610905_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-11228900-1437610916_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-63955500-1437610923_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-90302100-1437610938_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-41307500-1437610953_thumb.jpg

I'm already thinking ahead to hull sanding.  Hoping it all turns out OK!

Erik

I'm on the home stretch with the planking.  This being my first planking experience, I'm fairly pleased with my results.  Most of the imperfections seen in the photos should be taken care of with the final sanding of the hull.  I'm learning a lot in the process.

post-20029-0-23385800-1437931817_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-28758600-1437931827_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-39290400-1437931847_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-19303700-1437931858_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-83597900-1437931869_thumb.jpg

Erik

Edited by Erik W

That looks very good.  You will be moving ahead to the fun stuff very soon.   :)   Almost done with the planking.

Excellent work Erik. It looks like your calculations were spot-on from the start - the two remaining planks seem to have the exact gap needed to fill them :) .

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Chuck and Danny.  My average plank width has been around .011".  When I got down to the gap for the last 3 on each side, the gap measures .030" at it's widest.  So, starting with the most recent plank I attached, I reducing the plank width to .010", and then tapered the bow and stern.  This should make it look like all the planks are the same width, rather than have the last plank be obviously narrow.

Erik

Erik, you have done a fantastic job with the planking. Very nice :)

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

pardon the rough look! 

Rough???? Excellent work Erik, it'll sand up beautifully :) .

Cheers, Danny

Thanks for the kind words guys.  The craftsmanship on your builds sets the bar pretty high! 

Danny, I guess by rough I'm referring to the photos I didn't post that show the bumps and low spots on the some of the planks.  You need not know that those exist!  Haha. :)

Erik

The hull is now sanded.  I had to do this with great care since the planks on this latest batch of kits are .020" thick rather than 1/32" (.031").  There's not much margin for error.  I still have some touch up and cleanup to do, which I'll do after I remove the bulkheads.

Now about the planks . . .

Mine is the first build log of the Longboat using the .020" thick planks.

I was waiting to see what my results were before I addressed this.  For those reading this before they embark on a build of these latest kits with these thinner planks, DO NOT USE THE .020" THICK KIT SUPPLIED PLANKS.  I have used them more or less successfully, but the kit was not designed for these, and Model Shipways did not modify the instructions to accommodate for the thinner planks.  Replacement 1/32" x 1/8" basswood planks, as Chuck designed the model to use, can be purchased on various sites on the web for around $5.  Well worth the cost to safeguard against potential headaches down the road.

post-20029-0-80042700-1438540948_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-74510800-1438540955_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-47887600-1438540964_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-22931000-1438540971_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-13107800-1438540981_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-48783300-1438540988_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-42593200-1438540998_thumb.jpg

Erik