Rigging scissors

Micro mark has a 6" pair of rigging scissors (for tight spots)? $ 20.40 Has anyone used these is there better out there? are the finger holes large enough to be comfortable? I like my zap it but is to big to get deep inside the larger ships. I use broken old safety razor blade broken in 1/2 and glued into a thin wood strip when not careful tend to cut the line other than the one you want to -suggestions

John 

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

I bought a pair a few years ago and use them occasionally when I have to reach into an area to cut a line. I think they work really well. The holes are a little small but I have small fingers so they are comfortable for me. They are a little pricey though.

Edited by usedtosail

What Joel said is best... I've tried different sewing scissors but the finger holes are too darn small for my meathooks.   The flying scissors work very well and are really designed to cut thread/rope/fishing line.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks to Tom and Joel

Would never have thought about the fly tying supplies. Thanks for the response

John Allen

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Great suggestions

Thanks to all 

John Allen

On deck

Finished

I use surgical scissors. All types with curved ends, 90 degrees curved ends and micro scissors are provided. Even scissors with > 30 cm length and tiny blades. Esp. the ones for vascular surgery are very fine but most of them are horrible expensive when bought new. I always have an eye on ebay and sometimes a cheap one can be shot. Overall the quality of those scissors esp. from Aesculap guarantees a tool for lifetime.

John

Make friends with your barber/hair stylist or have your lady make nice with hers and try to get an old  pair of their scissors.  They may or may not need to be  sharpened, but will then last you a lifetime of rigging.   I got a free 5" Joewell K2 shear this way.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I have at least 5 different types of scissors and use them according to the situation. I don't believe there is one tool that can do everything.  ;)

Also, I have learned two things: 1.- not to spend money on cheap tools, and 2.- there is no such thing as "too many tools".  :)

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

• 2 weeks later...

It's quite a crew we have here I'm impressed. All great suggestions. I agree you cannot have too many tools. 

I've tried to tell my wife that but it's like trying to take the breach of a fort with a Forlorn Hope!

Again thanks to all John

John Allen

On deck

Finished

Hi......worked in ophthalmology for several years.......also consider Castroviejo or Westcott tenotomy or iridectomy scissors,,,,,,,,these are inexpensive, incredibly sharp, and in cataract surgery are used once and thrown out.  No pesky finger loops.  For cotton or whatever line can be used over and over,

james

If interested, there is quite a selection of castroviejos(all quality and $ range) on amazon.  I believe they even offer the 90 degree instrument.  I know they are strong and will last, there are times when Ive walked into the ophthalmology OR and found them imbedded into the floor or the non tile part of the wall........short tempered Doc's...................I got to bring those home

james

• 1 month later...

I find that the scissors from my Swiss Army knife work well. Good quality steel.I keep them sharp with a diamond sharpening stone.

post-1505-0-52512300-1440895933_thumb.jpg

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

• 3 months later...

These are absolutely so excellent. each cut is super clean, leave no small hanging threads. Also (not shown in photo) on the other side is a screw that allows tightening of the blades.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R8LZF4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

Highly recommended.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Dr. Slick fly tying scissors....that's all you need to know.

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

checked post- all great suggestions I did purchase fly tying scissors because of the large openings for fingers, found they were extremely comfortable. will add some of the others you folks have suggested have come to rely on all of your experience and have saved myself from making mistakes like (cutting a middle shroud of 6 shrouds) :angry:

thanks to all again

John

John Allen

On deck

Finished

checked post- all great suggestions I did purchase fly tying scissors because of the large openings for fingers, found they were extremely comfortable. will add some of the others you folks have suggested have come to rely on all of your experience and have saved myself from making mistakes like (cutting a middle shroud of 6 shrouds) :angry:

thanks to all again

John

Never ever ever approach a line with your scissors open. Scissors always closed until they actually touch what you want to cut. Don't ask me how I know that!  ;)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

• 1 month later...

Milo, the fly tying scissors, if I recall, were in the sub- $20 range.  I got one straight pair and one curved, one is Dr. Slick, the other isn't.  I got them at an Orvis store, but I see Cabela's also has fly supplies, just to give you some options.

Those Dr. Slick scissors look very interesting.  I've tried a few scissors in the past, but it's always hard to get a clean cut just above the knot without leaving little tails.  Thanks for the tip!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 6 years later...

A very old thread, but I was interested into the subject, as I start my first rigging job and my first cuts with my not so bad tiny scissors were suboptimal. I tried my Tamiya and DSPIAE side cutters then and the Tamiya one worked ok, but not great.
After reading this thread and looking for a decent pair of scissors online, I remembered, that I own a Victorinox nail clipper, like mentioned above and tried it. It worked perfectly with my test and is able to cut very close to a knot due to the way it's constructed. Thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48