America Schooner POF by Walter Biles - RADIO - (POF) SCALE 1:48 - from Blue Jacket plan

Hi, Popeye, 

No, since Linda's passing, I have still been overwhelmed by work to catch up here at the house.  Also, I bought a 10" parabolic mirror and have also been preparing to make a telescope with 2" eyepiece adjuster, to study some stars.  I still need to finish the modification to my garden tractor bucket, and get the shop cleared out of excess stuff.  During the kids screening what they wanted from their mother, my shop got filled back up with stuff.  I am slowly digging out.  

I put an Ebay bid on one of the older America BJ kits to get the frames to check against mine, but I got outbid at the last of the bid time.  I had really hoped that with that old kit, I would be able to supply the boat I'm making with the deck furniture and rigging.  OH WELL!  

Edited by Walter Biles

I take it,   that's a Blue Jacket kit.   I think Billing Boats lists a Bluenose fitting kit,  if that will be of any help.  either that, or one might turn up again.  check here periodically also......they get older kits in every once in a while :   oldmodelkits.com

your adjusting well.....glad to hear that.   I know it can be hard...I told my wife today that if she ever left,  I'd never remarry.  it's very hard to replace perfection.   I wish you the best my friend.  Linda don't need no microscope....she's able to watch over you just fine  :)    stay well.....look forward in seeing your return  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye, 

yes, Blue Jacket America is the plans I got on the 1/4" scale, and I had hoped to get the frame built and get ahold of the kit one day, and use the kit parts to do all the finishing.  When I saw the old kit on there, I figured I might get most of what I wanted from that.  The bid closed about 10 minutes before I got back online to follow it out.  $375 is a lot of money for the new kit.  From what I have seen of those frames, the grain all runs side to side on all of them, I can't see unless they are plywood, how they would hold up to the building.  I had intended to make them all in a 7 part frame each such as the real ones would be.  I figured if I could get a CAD model plan drawn, that once I build the 1/4" scale one I might do one in nearer to 1/2" scale for RC.  I really prefer my models built as much like the real ones as I can.  

I found out early on, that I did not like staying alone.  I invited my younger sister to come here to live.  She is on disability, and never could afford a place of her own.  We get along pretty well, and seem to tolerate each other quite well.  She appreciates the freedom to live here.  As a non-cook myself, but a fair house keeper, we each have skills to give.  

Edited by Walter Biles

• 2 weeks later...

well I hope you find one,  or something with what you need for parts.   I was faced with a problem that was sort of similar,  but came to a better conclusion that the first time.  the Nordkap was the first model I built in wood.  the owner couldn't find the fitting kit,  but later found it after I had gotten a kit from my friend Tom.  this past Christmas,  I received another kit of the Nprdkap.......older than the first one.  it too lacked the fitting kit.   I looked high and low for the fitting kit.....to order the kit piece meal,  would have been very expensive.  happening on the Billing site a few weeks ago......there it was.....a new listing!  I ordered that bugger up in a snap!

so now I have the entire kit......cool because I have pictures of another boat that can be built from the Nordkap kit.   I plan on cloning the hull,  so I can build it,  but it dawned on me that I will need to order another fitting kit.  the admiral's gonna shoot me!

glad to hear that your not alone.....admirable......a big brother with a big heart  :)    I feel glad knowing you doing OK.  be well  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 year later...

I am back.  I have been working hard on my Design CAD to get everything updated in 2D.  My frames are much better fitting than before, and I just need to finish up the ones between the Sections.  My different drawing plans agree much better than they ever did before.  I'll be back soon when I can start building again.  

Great to hear that you are still progressing Walter.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you Michael.  I had pretty much lost interest just after Linda died, but have finally started regaining my interest.  I hope you and your family had a nice holiday season this past few months.  Did you ever get that engine made you were working on before I left?  

Hi Walter it is on hold while I do some other work. I am trying to finish up the Cutter. and have also done some work on a steam locomotive. I am sorry for you loss, healing does take time. I am glad that you are able to find some peace in your modelwork.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.