*Hans*

Kolderstok models - 17th century Dutch VOC Ships

Hello everybody

My name is Hans van Nieuwkoop - on MSW known as *Hans* 

Since end of last year I have been busy in working out my scratch build Batavia into a wooden model kit.

This is now available  - please have a look at our website www.kolderstok-models.com

The site opens in Dutch - but by clicking on the UK-flag it is in English.

Btw:  Kolderstok is the Dutch word for whipstaff  :)

We are planning to make several models 

- now available: Dutch East Indiamen "Batavia" 

- in near future: East Indiamen "Dordrecht"

- 2016: Yacht "Duyfken"

- 2016 and on: 17th century Statenjacht, Zeven Provinciën, ...

Kits are made in small series - so please send me a PM if you want to buy one, so I can inform you if it is availabe.

I can ship to most countries in the world, can mention prices including postal costs but cannot inform you how much duty you have to pay.

Next days I will post some photos about the box and its contents.

Please send me a pm if you are interested!

coxswain, mtaylor, ulrich and 9 others like this

Thank you Mark!

The first boxes have been delivered to the customers who pre-ordered them. Many people see 17th century ships as a lack in ship modelling and where very enthousiastic.

The kit will cost € 389,- in Europe, exclusive postal costs. This is appox. $440,- at this moment. Postal costs and packaging ca. €70,- or $ 78,-

Dutycosts unknown, but a quick calculation on dutycalculator.com gave $0,- as tax.

Sails are not included, will be availabe later this year - costs around €30,- to € 35,-

As promised some photos:

Box:

post-11645-0-15494100-1436548883_thumb.jpg

Lasercut frames, keel

post-11645-0-69847700-1436548903_thumb.jpg

Drawings

post-11645-0-35539800-1436548924_thumb.jpg

Photo-based instructions - Dutch / English (thanks to Anton for checking the English)

post-11645-0-00989300-1436548987_thumb.jpg

Some of the handcasted resin ornaments

post-11645-0-30729800-1436549004_thumb.jpg

Very interesting vessel! Thanks for bringing in a fresh breath into the hobby!  

Looking forward for some build logs ;)

mtaylor and *Hans* like this

That's exciting news!

Congrats with the release of this VOC beauty!

I'm a novice wood builder...is this something I can handle?

Robin  :)

mtaylor and donrobinson like this

Thanks!

The model is a 1-2 difficulty on a scale of 4 (4 being the most difficult). If you have any experience on wood you can do it!

Looking at the place you live: you can go to the model shop in Leiden (Janvossensteeg), Netherlands. The original model is in the window of the shop.

Robin Lous, mtaylor and donrobinson like this

Very interesting vessel! Thanks for bringing in a fresh breath into the hobby!  

Looking forward for some build logs ;)

Thank you!

And btw - we can ship to Sweden  :rolleyes:

mtaylor and Mike Y like this

Best wishes for a successful business~!   

Would you be willing to sell just the plans?  Being a scratch builder, with a stash of high quality lumber, I generally no longer build from kits, but would consider buying the carvings (carving is on my educational bucket list).

Dank u wel!                   Duff

Duff,

I hope you are not disappointed, but plans cannot be sold separately. As the kit is complete new and there is much effort from my side in it it is not yet the moment to sell parts of it. 

But I'm familiar with the fact that many builders collect a large bulk of good lumber etc. (come and have a look in my hobbyroom...) so every model I build comes from this pile. It's how I started scratch building as well.

No problem Hans, and no disappointment on my part.  It seems I already have too many plans, including Hoving/Emke's recent publication, that I need to live to about 125 years to build everyone..............

Duff

donfarr and mtaylor like this

Plans of the Batavia are sold by the Batavia-wharf (but these are scanned versions of the old paper-plans). Some work needed on them.

An other set of plans (much more detailed, but essentially the same plans) are sold by the Dutch association of Modelbouwers (NVM). Bit on the pricey side, though.... http://www.modelbouwtekeningen.nl/nvm-1000023-voc-retourschip-batavia-1627.html

Jan

Archi and mtaylor like this

I recently purchase and received the Batavia from Hans and Kolderstock.

First of all Hans was very accommodating and made communication by email easy and timely.

Purchasing the ship was easy as well and it only took a little over a week to receive the kit

shipped from the Netherlands to Chicago US.

I was impressed with the packaging and even though Hans had built a small box from wood to put the kit in the rough and tumble world of transatlantic shipping had damaged a few pieces inside. It centrally was not the fault of the packaging. It looked more like some one drop kicked the box. Even at that little damage was done. I could have glued the broken parts but I was concerned that on assembly some strength could have been lost causing problems at assembly. I emailed Hans to ask his opinion and he said he is sending me parts to replace the broken ones at no charge for the parts or shipping. And shipping is not cheap. That is the best customer service I have had in a long time.

I have inspected the parts and read through the instructions, at this point, finding both to be excellent.

And, now just starting the construction find a fit and finish that is excellent also. It is a joy to see this quality.

I will also say that it is somewhat unique in today's world to be able to communicate with a real person who you can tell cares about a product he has a personal stake in. And has the product knowledge to answer your questions.

If you read this Hans 

Thanks so much

JMS

Canute, mtaylor, Robin Lous and 6 others like this

This sure makes me smile! 

In fact the frames of the hull are laser cut parts which where loose in the box. Due to this specific issue John reported me I have changed the design of the laser cut parts. They now are still in the wooden base plate and have to be removed out of it by cutting two small bridges of 2 mm wood.

Thus the risk of damage during transport is minimized to the max.

Hans...I got the Duyfken for Christmas from my wife (bezorgd bij mijn schoonouders in 's-Gravenzande).

Just want to say thanks....it all looks really nice and the plans and manual are fantastic!

I'll contact you about the extra cannons and the resin  "gevelsteen"name plate very soon!

Thanks again....awesome!

Robin :)

*Hans*, mtaylor, donfarr and 4 others like this