USS Constitution by wdretired - Model Shipways

Okay I received my Model Shipways kit this morning and this is some huge kit.   I have big hands but I think I'll be able to handle working with this one.  I've been doing a lot of reading and after getting some definitions straightened out, I think I'm ready to begin.  I am really impressed with the quality of this kit. (and I can understand the instructions too). .   I'm starting off with some basic photos. . .namely the package as I received it.  You can tell I'm not a salt at this because those who have completed a lot of kits don't bother with any photos until they are into the build. .  not me, I'm proud of every step. .  I might even break the record for the number of photos taken of a build.  I built a 10 foot work bench. . installed some good lighting and magnifiers. .  then I promptly opened up all the plans in the house. . .  my wife was very impressed to say the least.   I spent the first 5 or 6 hours laying out the parts on the plans and marking the reference lines, bearding lines, center lines,  and rabbet lines on the parts from the plans. . .  I read a lot of the helps that are posted on the Model Ship World tutorial page and I must say there are some very smart and helpful people on this website.  

post-14461-0-14429100-1436654499_thumb.jpg

post-14461-0-33613600-1436654506_thumb.jpg

post-14461-0-15432500-1436654514_thumb.jpg

post-14461-0-27414700-1436654522_thumb.jpg

post-14461-0-33634100-1436654533_thumb.jpg

Wayne  

Present build - U.S.S. Constitution 

Website - mwdretired.com

I like the pictures taken before the glue starts flying.  My first wood ship build was a Model Shipways Skipjack. They make some great kits and it looks like you're off to a great start.   This kit is top of my list for my next build.  Well this one or the Amati HMS Vanguard.  Of course until the Admiral and I find a house with enough room to swing something that size around in I'm having to stick with smaller builds.  Good luck.

Go to  Lauckstreetshipyard.com and look at the practicum  that Bob Hunt wrote. Takes you step by step and is indispensable for this build.

He has a forum dedicated to the Connie with some spectacular builds.

No interest in LSS other than a satisfied cutomer.

I too have this model waiting on a free shipyard.  Maybe I can call for some overtime.  but, my guess is they would wildcat strike on me.   :)

I have Bob's practicums and would definitely recommend them.

I will follow along as you work on this log.  Great start.

Jeff

Edited by jdbradford

Current Build:       Model Shipways MS2015 - Fair American Kit bash

Previous Build:     J-Class Endeavor

Thanks Jeff, I looked at Bob Hunts website and decided to take his course on the U.S.S. Constitution.  He had a sample lesson that I downloaded and it had some great helps on it.   This just means it is going to take me a lot longer to finish it but it should turn out a lot better than doing it by myself.  

Wayne  

Website - mwdretired.com

It has been a busy week.   I have the keel and bulkheads all marked up but it was easier to see after I began to put the bulk heads together, and this is the easy part.  I'm putting up a couple of photos of how I laid out the keel.  My reference line that I marked from the plans did not line up with the top of the deck so I changed it to make the deck come out flat.  I'm going to have to put a few fillers in some of the bulk heads but that was to be expected.  

post-14461-0-39769500-1437258134_thumb.jpg

post-14461-0-34820800-1437258139_thumb.jpg

post-14461-0-52922300-1437258145_thumb.jpg

post-14461-0-27713400-1437258154_thumb.jpg

post-14461-0-16908300-1437258160_thumb.jpg

post-14461-0-49704800-1437258166_thumb.jpg

post-14461-0-51974400-1437258172_thumb.jpg

Edited by wdretired

Wayne  

Website - mwdretired.com

Did I ever say this is one huge model?  I did figure out one thing already.  That is I can't see worth a lick.   I start out marking something and by the time I finish I'm seeing two or three lines.  This is going to require a lot of checking and rechecking.   Anyway, I'm starting on the counter.  I have no idea how I'm going to cut that by hand.  I have a band saw but that might be a little big for something that small.  It is going to take a few days of study to figure out how to proceed with the next step.     

Edited by wdretired

Wayne  

Website - mwdretired.com

Wayne,

I notice you have not had a chance to stop by the Practicum forum at Lauck Street yet.  If you need any help at all, please let me know.  There are ongoing builds of the exact model and seeing them may provide tips or direction as you work on yours.

Can't wait to see this model go up in the shipyard.

Jeff

Edited by jdbradford

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy, I started this model a year or so ago. It's my first build, and would pretty much by lost without Hunt's practicum. I made a few huge mistakes, but was able to fix them. I tend to deviate from the practicum at times because I really want to just have fun and I'm not striving for perfection on this 1st build. I'm about to finish planking the haul and begin coppering. Have Fun. Mundie

J. Mundie Jr.                        Current Build- Constitution MS 2040

I am not cut out to be a carpenter nor a sculptor.   I look at these very neat and precise photos of ships being assembled and every piece is placed just right.  No cracks or defects that can be seen. . .  yet I don't care how careful I am, mine don't come out like the pictures I see. . .   the over all is okay but when you look at most pictures shown on this website, everything seems to be perfect. . .  there has to be people out there like me who no matter how careful. . or how many times you do it, just won't come out according to the photos shown. .   I won't tell you how many times I've pulled the rail off the front of my ship because I couldn't get it to look like the photos I see.  I try to be a perfectionist because I know a little mistake in the beginning can run  into some bigger problems later on. . so I am trying to make the assembly of my ship look like the ones I see on here. .   I have cut the front rail (piece 1) according to the instruction and the part is identical and it fits but not like the photos I see. . .  I don't think it is possible unless they are using equipment and tools I don't have. . .

Now that I have vented my frustrations, I am working on the front rail and I know it will be covered over with planking but I'm as bald as a bowling ball for pulling my hair out trying to get my ship to be a pretty as those I look at. .  it is one step forward and five backwards. . . I think I'll go fishing and worry about this thing Monday. . .

post-14461-0-30890400-1439063142_thumb.jpg

Edited by wdretired

Wayne  

Website - mwdretired.com

I know exactly what you mean.  I like to do some occasional wood working and the same thing happens there.  That is one reason I'm starting off with some simple models first before tackling this one.  ( I did get this one too not  long ago, along with a couple of other simple wood kits.)   I think it takes some practices to get the techniques down.

Update:  I wanted to add that I think you're off to a good start. It's looking really good so far.

Edited by billt

It seems to me that the more experienced the modeler the better and faster they are. Ive given up on perfection and Im just trying to make it acceptable for my level. Its a difficult model, and lots of fun. Your knights head looks great, just make sure not to glue anything until its test fitted, the knights head gets planked over anyway, so a small imperfection is no biggie, at least to me. Many expert modelers on this site settle for nothing less then perfect, I may too one day join these ranks, but for now, good enough is good enough.

I think it looks great WD.  I do understand your frustration when it does not look perfect, as I strive for that as well.  

Did you look at Usedtosail's Conny build?  

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/5003-uss-constitution-by-usedtosail-model-shipways/page-2

His techniques make creating some of the pieces seem a bit easier.  I like how he did the bow section with the knighthead pieces.

I will be using all of the builds here when it comes time to build mine.

Jeff

Guest Tim I.

When I started out, I had the tendency to want to try and keep pace with some of the faster builders. I have learned that the best way is to move slow and carefully, even if it seem ponderous. For me, it has helped me reduce my mistakes, or at least not have them be so catastrophic.

I am enjoying following your build.

- Tim

Yea, I too use http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/5003-uss-constitution-by-usedtosail-model-shipways/page-2   build log, especially for visuals. I seem to work better once I "see" what needs to happen. And w Hunts prac. and the other builds, problems are easily solved.

Just found your build log Wayne, and you look like you are off to a good start. Thanks guys for the endorsement, but Wayne I feel like you most of the time - my work just doesn't look as good as what I have seen in other logs. But, I do end up reworking almost everything at some point and the way I look at it, it just makes that build that much more interesting. I certainly relied on others logs before I started too, like:

Jeff Toma (http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/94-uss-constitution-by-jeff-toma-model-shipways-scale-176/?p=564)

Modeler12/Jay (http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/?p=676)

and Bob Riddoch (http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/423-uss-constitution-by-bob-riddoch-model-shipways-scale-176/?p=4442)

I appreciate the comments.  Some of the building photos are better than the ones I paid for. . .  one thing I hate to do is to have to take something apart after gluing it. .   I am going to have to pull the rails off the bow (again) because they don't have that curve in them that needs to be there. . .  if I can't get it done so that I can feel good about it, there is no use in doing it at all. . .  there are a lot of gifted people here that's for sure. .  I probably need to find me someone in my area that is a good builder and let some of the expertise rub off on me (grin). . .  thanks again guys for the help and advice. .  I need it. .

Wayne  

Website - mwdretired.com