Working Comfortably on Upper Rigging

If this has been addressed on a previous thread, please point me the right way (I looked a little and didn't see anything)

I've run into this situation several times before. I finish the hull, deck furniture and lower masts of a model. Now I want to start on the topmasts, but the model on the desk is at an inconvenient height. If I sit at the desk to work on the rigging, it's above eye level and my arms and back get tired (quickly). If I stand up to rig, I'm not steady enough on my feet and it's hard to rig (or avoid breaking anything).

I could try making a set of platforms of different heights, but storage and stability are a concern. I could stack books, but that's even less stable.

To work comfortably on the rigging, I basically need a desk 32" high, 20" high, 15" high and 10" high.

Alternately, I need a chair that can boost me (from sitting position) 12", 17" and 22".

Note that the numbers I'm using are approximate. But I hope you get the point.

Frank Mastini, in his book "Ship Modeling Simplified" had a sketch of his "Mastini Booster" which was basically a seat that set across the arms of his chair. At first I thought it was a good idea, but only if you have a solid, stationary chair with strong arms. I don't.

So, what I'm looking for are solutions that others have for this dilema. I'd like to see how you rig your models within the constraints I've outlined above.

And if all I'm doing is whining, would somebody please pass me the cheese (no blue or gorganzola please).

Thanks,

Harvey

Well, I shouldn't be responding since I just stand up when doing the upper rigging, and if I get tired, I take a break and sit for 5 minutes sipping my coffee and mentally doing the next step.

I know this isn't a solution to your problem. I'm sorry, but it's just what I do.  :(

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

This may not work for you, but here is what I did for a large 1/8th scale ride behind locomotive I have. I bought a hydrolic lift table from Harbor Freight, for about $100. I just raised and lowered the table as needed.

You could attach a table to it, with legs that go through the table. Have holes in the legs, that you can slip a rod into, to lock the table at various heights. Use the lift table to change heights, and roll it out of the way when working. The handle of the cart would get in the way of working on the model, unless you can modify it somehow, or have it turned to the side..

Hi Harvey

I solved this problem by using an old wooden desk (a school desk in fact) I chopped the legs down to the size that I felt comfortable with and added castors. The desk lives under my main work desk, which is an L shaped office desk. When I want to work on rigging, I just roll it out. I also fitted this desk with a hinged top so I can store scrap wood and clamps in it. I left the back of the desk open and I store strips and dowel in it. Hope this may give you some ideas.

post-1505-0-29280300-1436779335_thumb.jpg

Desk is stored under main desk - castors fitted

post-1505-0-31130700-1436779384_thumb.jpg

Desk rolls out when needed for rigging or for extra workspace

post-1505-0-96316500-1436779496_thumb.jpg

Desk lid lifts up for storing scrap timber and clamps.

Rear section of desk for wood strips and dowel.

post-1505-0-83528100-1436779636_thumb.jpg

For me the desk is at a comfortable height for working on upper rigging.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Hi All,

As a compliment to a low table (reusing my captain's old play table)  I am also reusing my astronomy observing chair as my build chair.  I've copied the photo and some text from my Dragon log from a few weeks ago below to save you clicking through. I just checked the link and it still works.

"It is infinitely adjustable for height as the seat grips the back rails using a plastic friction bar. Needs a foot rest at the highest settings  (~36in so at least I do!) but again will work well for rigging w/o bending over or standing up for ever. I’ve not seen anyone mention these chairs before so figured I’d post in case it interests someone. They aren’t cheap, but I find mine sturdy and comfortable. Link below for those not into astronomy. Not done any checks for price so look around before you take the plunge if you like it."

Hope this perhaps helps.

Cheers,

Nigel.

post-17285-0-65669100-1436782874_thumb.jpg

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

A little pricer than when I got mine 15 years ago $160. Here's a link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60730-10041.html

Range 8 1/8" to 27 1/2".

Overkill, maybe, but at 500# capacity, it should lift anything we build.

Now things are getting interesting guys!

Hornet, I like the roll around table. It looks handy. Something like that wouldn't fit under my desk, but it's giving me ideas.

NIgel, the adjustable chair looks interesting. I've thought about things like bar stools, but I need some kind of upper back support to steady my hands. Your idea has me thinking too.

Thibaultorn, thanks for th picture. It gives me a much better idea of what you're talking about. It looks extremely useful (and Harbor Freight isn't that far away).

Back to my cave for some pondering. . .

Thanks again!

Harvey

• 4 weeks later...

Look for a captains chair in a second hand  or Goodwill store for the Mastini booster. $5-10 tops

I built a movable, height adjustable , swivel top 'table' to hold my building platform. I built it from 2x4s, 2x6s, some 1/8th inch plywood to act as swivel guides to be screwed to the building board, some threaded rod, nuts and bolts, and put it on wheeled lockable casters. It was quite easy to build and serves my purposes very well. It is small enough to easily turn it to whatever direction I need. I can tilt the platform to more easily work on the interior of the model.

The one I built, was my 'prototype' , so I can modify it for my next build (if I need to).

I'm sorry that I don't have pictures of it immediately available . If you are interested, let me know and I can try to place some on this forum.

Bryan

P.S.

I got the idea from Danny's build of his VULTURE when he had mounted his model on a rod to have it able to swivel. At least I think it was his VULTURE build!

The 'table' is pretty darned stable. I've had it for over a year and it still works as well as the day I finished it.

Model(s) under construction: RATTLESNAKE. 1:48

Next on the launch : ECHO 1781 1:48

I will see what I can do tomorrow. I have never posted pictures on MSW before. I know I will have to 're-size' them.

I don't have to report to work until early afternoon. So I will try for the morning. If not tomorrow, then soon.

Bryan

This is the picture. Kind of self evident on construction.  The support boards , supporting the building board, are 1/2 inch oak. The slotted boards for tilting purposes are 1/8th inch plywood.  I put a little bar soap on the 

upright guides to help them slide better ( the uprights coming up from the base)  The base is wide and more substantial with weight to be stable.

post-626-0-05761200-1439048587_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi, just came across this thread just as I've thrown this THING together; and it cost nothing!

Working on the KISS (keep it simple, stupid) principle, I now have a work station which gives all round access, variable height, built in tool storage with infinite possibilities for hanging/stretching cordage etc. and is stable.

Notice the hand/arm rests which can be height adjusted for any aspect of hull and rigging work.

You can stand or sit and it's easily movable and should keep most things together within arm's reach.

All applause welcome.

DSCF1099.JPG

DSCF1100.JPG

DSCF1101.JPG

DSCF1102.JPG

DSCF1103.JPG

DSCF1104.JPG

Brilliant! Has the Admiral noticed you’ve commandeered her ironing table, amongst other things?!

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

DelF, thanks.

63 years old and still single. I wonder why? Still, within reason I can do whatever I want. No ear-ache or blackmail. there's a lot to be thankful for. You make your bed...........and it's all yours!

As I said, the THING cost me nothing. Except for the fasteners all the rest came from my local dump.

Don't go tying yourself up, in Notts.

Oops! Apologies for my presumption. It’s probably surprising that any of us obsessive hobbyists actually have partners that are prepared to put up with us. 

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

I have a height adjustable and tilt-able keyboard tray mounted under my work table.  It also slides out of the way when not in use.  When lowered all the way it yields a work surface about 5 - 6 inches lower than the table top.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Using an ironing board makes me nervous.  The one we have like that wobbles at the slightest touch.  Good idea though. Maybe try nailing ours to the floor but I suspect the admiral would be most displeased.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I use a combination of an adjustable table and a working rest.  The photo shows this jig (arm rest).  The jig was made by my mentor and he passed it onto me.  It can be adjusted for height as required and I can rest my arms on the upper bar to work more comfortably at height.  I have added a small tool tray to the lower bar (not shown).  

The adjustable table allows me to get the overall height correct and this jig can then be adjusted for the height of the rigging you are working on - works for me :)

cheers

Pat

P1040660.thumb.JPG.e03d1ca263efb264c576e1aa2d62bc70.JPG  

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

mtaylor, hi. I agree, there is some movement, but the little there is quite 'stiff' and minimal. Using the arm rests keeps your hands steady with no relative movement at all. Being steel, the THING is quite heavy. I've just tried to overturn it; it would require a deliberate and strong effort to do that. I'm 100% confident it isn't going to fall over! It's intended as an assembly platform. Any cutting of materials where force is required would of course be done at a regular work table/surface. However, the THING is intended to be used for on-going and final assembly, including masting and rigging, where any work involved is rather light. For what it is and the intended use, I'm confident this THING is more than adequate for my needs. My intention, by sharing, is to show what can be done for virtually nothing. And when the project is complete, the thing is quickly reverted back to original ironing board and folds away for storage.

Works for me then Shipman.   The ironing boards I'm familiar with are too light and wobbly so you have  good one then.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

mtaylor, thanks for that. My actual proper dedicated ironing board is even more substantial but lacks the pierced top which makes the THING so adaptable. Interestingly, both came my way from local dumps. No one wants to pay for a good quality board, like many other things. Yet as we all know, the proper tool for a job makes that job so much easier. Take good care of you and yours.

The arm-rests are a good idea to steady them and make the work less tiering.

Most modern ironing-boards are too flimsy and poorly made from aluminium. My mother had solid one, made from 1" steel tubes, which was heavy and stable. Haven't seen such for years. The ones with expanded metal tops are for steam irons.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Yep, you got it wefalk.

If you notice, the arm rests are mounted on stainless steel studding. The height is quickly adjustable by spinning the wing-nuts to any level you need. The studding in the photo's is short for work on the hull. When it's time for rigging these are replaced by 1 meter lengths, which can then be adjusted up and down to where you need support. They can also be mounted wider if need be.

Once the rigging progresses the THING can be lowered on it's legs. The slots underneath are modified so the table can be lowered almost to floor level. Hence the whole reason for the THING;    

IT'S FOR WORKING COMFORTABLY ON UPPER RIGGING!

Yes, my other ironing board is made of 1 inch steel tubing as you described. Never seen another.....but they are out there!