HMS Victory by Seventynet - Caldercraft - Scale 1: 72 - first build

Ian its lovely to catch up with your build again, I seam to have been out of the loop for some time

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Kevin thanks for dropping by. It's nice to see you posting again.

I just have a small update. I have finished planking the inner bulwarks. I bought and milled some Yellowheart in my quest to minimize the use of paint. I really don't have anything against paint at all. I think it is more an excuse to use different woods and make use of my saw and thickness sander. I will add that I didn't find the Yellowheart the nicest wood to work with. I found it quite brittle and ready to crack. But I got used to it. I also added a waterways strip to each side by making a quarter-round out of black walnut. Of course it should be a concave shape but that seemed like too much work for me to figure out at that scale.

Best, Ian

Fitting waterways to planking:

post-19382-0-18018200-1457108461_thumb.jpg

Pictures of Yellowheart planking before wipe-on-poly:

post-19382-0-75127400-1457108554_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-10750300-1457108556_thumb.jpg

Planking with WOP (to my eye it doesn't seem to have brought out any more yellow than the natural wood):

post-19382-0-45561500-1457108709_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-97671700-1457108707_thumb.jpg

I likey, looking real nice. Why is it that most of the cool looking wood is so brittle? Some day, when I'm in charge, I'll have that changed ;)  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Don and everyone for the likes. Don please do make that change once you have made rear admiral. I am working with black walnut for the wales right now. What a beautiful wood it has turned out to be.

Arthur, forgive me for not thanking you for the helpful tutorial for the gun port liners. I didn't elect to go with the channels for the upper gun deck mainly because I found very slight discrepancies in the gun ports. Possibly I could have spent more time shaping them but I got fairly proficient at placing the frames. But I may yet use your technique for other ports when I get around to them. Your other methods (patents pending :D) will almost certainly be copied.

In the meantime I wanted to share some pictures of the little jig I made to make anchor stock for the wales. I apologize the pictures are in no order. I used aluminium angle iron which I shaped to the exact size of the stock I wanted to form. Once the planks are placed in the bed I fitted the jig into my Proxxon vice which allowed me to use my disc sander since everything was nice and square. Anyway if anyone wants more details please ask.

Best, Ian

post-19382-0-79433100-1457827120_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-46499700-1457827122_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-98749400-1457827123_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-26787400-1457827125_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-04223300-1457827127_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-66062700-1457827128_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-99514700-1457827129_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-35599700-1457827131_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-67373000-1457827132_thumb.jpg

Hello Ian, 

every time I have to say, that I like to follow your blog and it´s a pleasure to see your Victory growing. I am sure you will pass me soon, my friend :-)

I see that you use a jig like it´s been posted in "the anatomy of nelson´s ships" from C Nepean Longridge (remember the picture I post in your blog). I am very curious to see how it works. I have to admit, that I wasn't very successful with this technic, because the curvature of the hull make every plank different to the other. Every plank is unique. Some more, some less. I think that it´s not the right way to make all planks similar with the same dimensions. I have made the best experiences with making a drawing on the first planking and build every single plank. 

But it´s not my intension to confuse you. Maybe I make mistakes and overlook things. Anyway I wish you much success and send you my best wishes and compliments for your work!!!

-Heinz -

Hi Heinz,

Yes indeed Longridge is where I got the idea! So what you are saying is that you lured me to the dark side? Ha, just kidding. I actually like my jig better. It is simpler, easier to make and will clench the wood stack better. As far as it being the right way to go, I would say your method is superior but takes more skill with the blade. I knew going in that the curve of the wales would present a challenge. How I am addressing that is I use relatively short pieces, 100 mm, and lightly sand the bottom wale joints to take the obvious angle that results from the curve of the wale and the straight anchor stock piece. Also I used thick enough wood that I can get a machinist clamp on the edges to mate the overlying piece quite nicely. So far so good.

I look forward to seeing your post soon.

Best, Ian

Thanks for the compliment aviaamater and for the likes everyone else. Heinz I thought I'd post a couple of pictures to show you more clearly what I mean by sanding the bottom ends and by clamping the pieces together.

Best, Ian

post-19382-0-05882200-1457887244_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-90463900-1457887245_thumb.jpg

I ve seen a lot of build logs and even more first builds but this.......

It looks if you are working on model 20 Ian !!!!!!

Amazing and first class .

I see a chair over there.

I will follow you further on Ian.

Sjors

Thank you so much for the encouragement Sjors. It will be an honour to have you follow my build. Indeed I wish I had done 20 ships because I am not sure whether this one will ever end! But this has to be the most relaxing thing to do in the world. Thanks to you as well Heinz my friend and for the likes Mark and Cabbie and others.

I just a short update. I've finished the main wale on the starboard side and half through the main wale on the port side which I will now revisit. I will finish up the anchor stock on the main wale then make another jig for the top and butt planks (tail is three times as long as head in triangle) for the middle wales - as Longridge calls for.

Heinz, the jig actually worked out quite well, that's not to say I didn't have to do a little modifying here and there but all told, I think worthwhile. 

Best, Ian

post-19382-0-55748000-1458355280_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-17230300-1458355283_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-29526500-1458355285_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-90554400-1458355286_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-79731100-1458355288_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-01548600-1458355290_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seventynet

lovely work, what are you going to use to bring out the detail on those whales

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Wow! Thanks for the compliments Heinz, Sjors, Waspy and Kevin, although overly generous. Kevin, my plan, get ready for it, is to stain them with ebony minwax. I want the colour but I want the grain too. I haven't done a test piece yet so that may change. My plan is to allow the wales to define what would otherwise be the black strips that straddle the gun ports. Kind of like Heinz's but without the nice contrasting wood in between the wales that he has. Please comment if you think something else would look better.

Ian 

I like the idea, wish I had done the fancy wood work, lol bit late for me on this build

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Maybe I missed it somewhere , if so , apology for that but.....

Are you put copperplates on that fantastic , planked hull ?????

I know for sure that Caldecraft has supply copperplates with the Victory.

One day I will do a Victory of my own but I'm waiting for the Victory from Amati, designed by Chris Watton.

This build should be a great example for how it has to looks !

Sjors

Kevin, you have nothing to regret about your beautiful Victory, especially the masterful rigging job you are doing. I'll be turning to your build many times (I have already been) when I get to that stage.

Sjors, no I do not plan to copper the hull. The wood just looks too good to cover up. Plus it looks like a major operation I can skip. :P. I hear what you're saying about the Chris Watton Victory. That thing will be magnificent.

Best, Ian

Outstanding finish Ian, thank you so much for sharing. Your build is of great help for me to follow for my build.

Robert.

Good Day Shipmates,

Thank you Robert and others for the likes and following my build efforts. It is greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there are areas you think I've missed or can improve on.

This update shows the three wales completed. Anchor stock for the main wales, top and butt for the middle wales and 3 straight planks (3.5 mm each) for the upper wales. I have deviated from Longridge by using wider stock for the middle wales but the total width is the same (10.5 mm as in CC manual). Anyone thinking they might want to attempt the anchor and top and butt approach should know there is a bit of controversy about which wale is anchor stock and which is top and butt - and you may want to settle it to your own satisfaction before you proceed (Edit: link to literature that supports anchor stock: here). It would be good if someone in the know advises us.

A last note, as you may recall I milled my own [thicker] walnut for the wales. I have a plan that will be revealed sometime in the future.

Lots of gun port fussing ahead.

post-19382-0-62003500-1459005899_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-67634000-1459005901_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-36896900-1459005903_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-73007100-1459005904_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-26736800-1459005906_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-79805400-1459005907_thumb.jpg

Best, Ian

Edited by Seventynet

Good Morning Ian

i have been a bit remiss in not looking at your log for a while,

that is some mighty fine work you have been doing.

The anchor stock jig worked a treat, and

your work is so neat and tidy.

In fact, I reckon you must be hiding something from us,

a background your keeping secret, you have the ideas and the workmanship

of someone much more experienced. ;)

She is going to be a real beauty when finished.

I was thinking along the same lines with my wales, and putting a black stain

on them for a bit of variety. it will be good to see what the ebony miniwax is like.

The only problem with mine is that they are a soft wood and won't take the stain even.

Keep the good work coming

Cheers Chris

Thanks Aviaamator, Sjors and Chris for looking in and the encouragement and others for the likes. It really keeps me going.

Ha Chris, no such hidden experience believe me. I must not be showing enough of my screw ups.

You know Chris after experimenting with some scrap I'm not sure I like the look of the black stain on the walnut. I'm going to think on it for a while. I have an idea for another way to contrast the wales. We'll see.

Best, Ian

Ian

I found your build log about a week ago. I was hooked right from the planking job you did. I have learned a boat load from your log. I look forward to see just what you come up with next. Seems like it keeps getting better and better.

I must say the planking job is outstanding. For your first build is even more then outstanding. As soon as I get the time I going to go back and hit the like button. I think it’s the least I can do for such a great build log as yours.

I just finished my first ship with sails. I find the rigging a real joy to do. I think you will feel the same.

Joe

Hi Joe, I very much appreciate your kind comments and the likes. The rigging seems so far off I haven't even given it a thought but I like your assurances.

Best, Ian

Good morning Ian, 

it´ s not only fun to watch your build log; it´s getting really exciting :-)

The last time I asked myself how you solve the problem with the wales, you make me curious how you would do it. And now you are talking about a surprise in the future....  I can´t wait to hear about it and see it on your model. You really do the best to entertain your audience :-)

As you can imagine, I follow your build log with a particular interest, because we both seem to have the same philosophy. I am already a little bit further, so I could watch and judge your work with the experience of doing it for myself. I am impressed about how fast and clean you work. It took me much longer to get a similar result. And this is the next point I really like: we are doing the same thing, but we do not copy each other!

Ian, the wales are very, very good. I also like the color change of the individual planks. If you can manage to work out the edges of the planks, they would be perfect (in my opinion).  What I mean is: you use the technic with anchor stock and top and butt for the wales, but it´s hard to see it. In fact you work so accurate, that they are no splits or spaces that make the single plank visible. It seems to me I am looking on a laminate. Without the change of color I would believe that the wales are made from one piece. A little space between the planks (maybe filled with black wood filler, like I do); rounded edges, or something like that would assert your work! 

As always... this is only my personal opinion. An interchange of ideas. You do a very good work and I am sure your surprise will surprise me :-))))

Best wishes to you!

- Heinz -

Hi Ian those wales look real nice that seamless look you have achieved is outstanding. Looking forward to your surprise.