WASHINGTON GALLEY by yamsterman - 1/48 SCALE P.0.F

Your inboard planking sure looks nice Mick. The whole ship looks great and is really coming along.

I know what you guys mean about clamps. I've found cloths pins to be very useful and their inexpensive to boot.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Ah, a printer!

"Treenails arnt in yet...just predrilled holes."          meant the deck planking. I like it the nails aren't to prominent.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 1 month later...

hi all

time for an update. inboard has now been planked and treenailed......cleats have been made and fitted....took three attempts to get those little b*******s looking right.

deck fittings have been placed purely for the photos.

work has started on the quarter deck

next up will be the iron work....eyebolts,gunport hinges etc  etc. stocked up recently on copper tube and sheet ready for the marathon blacksmith session to come

still plenty of work to to but were getting closer to the finish line!!!!

photos inc as per usual

cheers for now......mick

P1020490.JPG

P1020491.JPG

P1020492.JPG

P1020493.JPG

P1020494.JPG

P1020495.JPG

P1020496.JPG

P1020497.JPG

P1020498.JPG

P1020499.JPG

P1020500.JPG

P1020502.JPG

P1020503.JPG

P1020504.JPG

P1020505.JPG

P1020507.JPG

P1020508.JPG

P1020509.JPG

Mick, she's fitting out beautifully. I plan to go back a re-read your log from the start. I think your experience will be very helpful on my current build and especially when I eventually start my Galley Washington. I was just going over the plans and material list yesterday. I bought the wood package from Crown Timberyard a year ago.

Al

Current Builds:

hi all

quarter deck has now been finished.....more or less.....it wont be installed until all the ring bolts are made and attached.

rear windows are in but not yet glazed.

now to spend some time clogging my files with copper....time for the iron work to be made!

photos as per usual

cheers for now....mick

P1020526.JPG

P1020527.JPG

P1020528.JPG

P1020529.JPG

P1020530.JPG

P1020531.JPG

P1020532.JPG

P1020533.JPG

P1020534.JPG

Looking really nice Mick. I really like the look of the treenails on the deck. The color and size look just right. They don't stand out too much and look like freckles. They are subtle.  Very nice indeed.

Al

Current Builds:

hi al

i always use the same wood for treenailing as the planks are made from........much more subtle than using a contrasting timber.

the wale strakes i tried something different by way of an experiment....the treenails were made from copper and then blackened with liver of sulphur.

the result was quite pleasing the teenails almost disappearing ,but just visible at the right angle.

cheers....mick

I hope I am putting this comment in the correct plase  I am new To the site so it it’s not please move.

the reference is to the plans for the General Washington.  Station 6 starb/forward piece does not show the mortises for the lintel and sill for the sighting port.  The starboard side does.

I realize I may be wrong.  Please let me know or just ignore my comments

Vince

Vince:

It looks like you spotted an error of omission.  I am sure Mick will speak up here if I am wrong, but it sure looks like they are in fact missing as there are matching steps on the aft face of frame 5.

I will take the necessary steps to get this corrected for future plan sets when we do them up.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

The plans have been corrected.  Chuck Passaro was able to make the changes and future sets will have the corrections.  A sheet mentioning the omission of the notches will be included with the sets already printed - adequate as the detail is identical on the other side (P/S) of the frame.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

2 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

The plans have been corrected.  Chuck Passaro was able to make the changes and future sets will have the corrections.  A sheet mentioning the omission of the notches will be included with the sets already printed - adequate as the detail is identical on the other side (P/S) of the frame.

Kurt

Kurt, is it possible to post the correction sheet on the NRG website with the instructions for those of us who already have a set of plans?

Al

Current Builds:

No problem Al but I need time to get it done up - I am a bit late in delivering a museum commission so it's got priority right now.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

1 hour ago, kurtvd19 said:

No problem Al but I need time to get it done up - I am a bit late in delivering a museum commission so it's got priority right now.

Kurt

Thank you Kurt. It’s very much appreciated.

Al

Current Builds:

Here is the corrected part of page 6 - cropped from the full sheet - with the notches added to the starboard side of the forward frame.  This addendum will be included with all plan sets currently on hand.  When new sets are printed it will not be required.

Kurt

GALLEY - PAGE 6 - Corrected Frame 6.pdf

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

1 hour ago, kurtvd19 said:

Here is the corrected part of page 6 - cropped from the full sheet - with the notches added to the starboard side of the forward frame.  This addendum will be included with all plan sets currently on hand.  When new sets are printed it will not be required.

Kurt

GALLEY - PAGE 6 - Corrected Frame 6.pdf

Thank you sir.

Al

Current Builds:

• 4 weeks later...

hi all

some more progress to report.

iron work for the breeching ropes done and fitted...quarter deck finished but not yet fixed permanently

ive made a rough start on the capping rails....more work to do on those yet

still lots to do .....all the fiddly stuff now!!

ive put a few deck fittings in place but nothings fixed as yet

cheers for now ....mick

P1020581.JPG

P1020580.JPG

P1020582.JPG

P1020578.JPG

P1020579.JPG

P1020583.JPG

P1020584.JPG

P1020585.JPG

P1020577.JPG

P1020576.JPG

P1020575.JPG

P1020573.JPG

P1020574.JPG

Mick, I hope you don't mind a couple of beginner questions that you may have covered somewhere in your build log. First, how far into the frame do you drill for the

treenails and do you use a simple pin vise or a power tool to drill the holes? In you last photos it looks like your using real ebony. I tried using ebony for my wales with no success. It was too difficult to bend and I ended up using Swiss pear. Are your wales ebony? 

Thanks again for the outstanding build log. It's been a great learning tool for me.

Al

Current Builds:

hi carl

my metal working is positively ginormous compared to your origami in 1/350 .

dont know how you see the parts never mind bend and shape them.....even with magnification the air in my vicinity would be extremely blue and littered with tiny bits of brass shrapnel!!!!!

nice to see you building though!

cheers....mick

hi al

with regards to treenails....where possible i will always use my trusty proxxon 50/e.....however sometimes you just have to do it by hand with a pin vice when the drill just physically wont get into a space.

as to depth, usually a couple of mm is all thats needed......model makers treenails are purely representational so no need for any strength,especially with modern wood glues.

yep its ebony!......and boy is it a pain to work with!

but i love the end result.

the wales on washington are 1/8 inch thick if i remember rightly and those were made from a three pieces of ebony. the middle section has a very slight curvature to it but the bow section had to be heat bent to shape in two dimensions ie a bent and twisted.....the rear section has more twist than bend.

so long as you can find a piece with nice straight grain it does bend quite readily under heat.

i take a lot of my inspiration from european modelmaking school eg bernard frolich to name but one....i like the contrast between pear holly box and ebony.

i may have to go down the route of staining pear though as ebony is becoming extremely expensive.

hope this helps al......shall be dropping in to your build from time to time  to see how your getting on.

cheers....mick

Thank you Mick, it’s a great help. I managed to get some really nice straight grained ebony from my guitar builder friend who uses it for fingerboards. Maybe I just need to learn how to work with the stuff before I completely give up on it but it’s too late for Halifax as I already have one glued in place using pear. It’s very easy to shape and bend and looks good. I’ll keep working with the ebony though.

It was a bit of a learning curve for drawing the treenails through the draw plate but wasn’t long before it was prett quick and easy. I’m not looking forward to drilling hundreds of holes but it won’t be bad on this little ship.

Thank you for taking the time to help me with some of this simple stuff.

Al

Current Builds: