Wonderful website, Ivan.  I've bookmarked it and will go back to spend more time.  

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is the translation from the text above:

From original illustration to executed carvings, it is very easy if one knows what one is doing.

For the carving I use only "Buchsbaum", in this case the board is 12 mm thick.

If I am not mistaken 'Buchsbaum' is box (buxus) wood

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Slainte gu mhath

L.H.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Am 28.12.2017 um 1:44 Uhr sagte merchen:

The work was done in the foreground, the picture shows the rear figure and the Sensemann with his tool, the scythe and the hourglass. I allowed myself the fun, turned the scythe and in the hourglass I attached a nail. On the way to pick me up, he gets panic because the tool is out of order and he then turns around.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Amazing carvings.

Maury

You are a true artist, Merchen.   What I've seen would rival any carvings in any museum, ship museum or otherwise.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 6 months later...

He must have hundreds, if not thousands, of hours invested in making this model.  :o  Or should I say work of art! :imNotWorthy:

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

18 hours ago, merchen said:

Hello everybody, I really hoped that more requests would come over this bark or start a lively discussion from the other members.

Hallo Merchen,

I think it is so quiet on your blog because we are all in silent awa of your skill and dedication.

I particulalry like the difference between the dark and the light wood. Assuming the light wood is Box (Buxus), what is the dark wood you used for the hull and curtains?

Also, where in the blazes do you get your inspiration from.

Slainte gu mhath

L.H.

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Slainte gu mhath

L.H.

I make the color contrast with the different woods, because I do not paint the wood and do not paint with it.

The other is, I'm always looking for something in shipbuilding where no other person does the same thing. Because it has become mass-like, same models from the same woods. And at the exhibitions or presentations, like the last one in Roquefort, there were all models made of pear wood. You see a model and everyone else is the same. That's why I make extraordinary models of extraordinary wood.

With this text, I hope that we have initiated the topic?

Ich habe den Text mit Google-Übersetzer übersetzt, ich hoffe der Text ist lesbar?

• 1 month later...

If it doesn't qualify as a masterpiece, I'm not sure what does. I have not the slightest idea how you managed to achieve some of the carving, particularly what appears to be long lengths of carved rope. 

I also agree with LH that there aren't many comments because your skill level places you in a completely different league from most of us here, you are playing in the Bundesliga and in comparison, we are playing in the fourth division in Finland. It's hard to say much useful other than "wow".

Edited by vossiewulf

I'm totally stunned at this work.  The carvings are amazing.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Für alle die Möglichkeit haben, am 05. Mai 2019 um 18:00 Uhr nach Bodensee ins Museum zu kommen, wird das letzte gebaute Modell der Gondel in einem kleinen Rahmen zum Lebenswerk hinzugefügt.

Das neue Modell ist schon im Bau, ein Teil vom Bauplan und das angefangene Modell, das in Spantenbauweise gebaut wird. Dafür habe ich ein bestimmtes System für mich entwickelt, dass ich Freude an der Arbeit habe.

(Tut mir leid, im Moment kann ich keine Bilder hochladen)