Just how much wood do you keep in STOCK?

Depends on how much I can find to salvage or get at discount prices.  Sometimes I only have a small amount in the shop sometimes a lot stacked up drying and/or waiting to be cut up.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Define "large amount"...? (he says nervously looking at his lumber supply).    Enough for the ship abuilding? or the current one and the next?    I don't have a stack of lumber drying in the yard, but I'm thinking I have enough to finish my current build and get me well on my on the next.   I think I'm scaring myself.....

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Right now I have several short logs of various woods drying which is a large amount for me.  I also have a pretty good supply of strip wood and sheets of different kinds but there are probably not that much all together.  I would guess enough wood to compete a large model would be a fair amount, enough for two would be a large amount.  Just remember you can't have to much wood as long as you have a dry place to store it.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

One can never have too much.  Unless the supply crowds you out of the shop.  Ships, toys, and projects for the admiral use up wood.

I also salvage wood, when others throw away furniture and old shelving.  Winter storms will sometimes damage trees which I will grab if the wood is valuable, such as flowering dog wood.  

Estate sales will sometimes have wood for very little money as they want to clear the home.  

So, I like to keep more wood than I can use in the next 5 years.  

Keep building, and above all, have fun.                       Duff