Norske Love by Dan Vadas - Billing Boats - RESTORATION

Hi all,

I undertook a project three ( :huh:  was it really?) years ago to finish off a model of Norske Lowe for the same guy who I finished off the Mississippi Riverboat a while ago. His father died before completing both models, so he asked if I could do it for his family as a keepsake.

The old guy was a fair to middling modeller, so I don't have a real lot of "Re-do's" on it, but there are some areas I'll tidy up a bit. There are several broken pieces, mostly masts, which I'll re-make.

Unfortunately, he had little idea of the sequence of rigging a model - the sharp (or even not-so sharp) eyed among you will relaize that there is virtually NO Standing Rigging, but most of the sails have already been fitted. This will be a bit of a nuisance.

Here are the BEFORE pics :

Norshe Lowe Before 001.jpg

Norshe Lowe Before 002.jpg

Norshe Lowe Before 005.jpg

Norshe Lowe Before 006.jpg

Norshe Lowe Before 007.jpg

Norshe Lowe Before 003.jpg

Norshe Lowe Before 004.jpg

Norshe Lowe Before 008.jpg

Norshe Lowe Before 009.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Looks to be a bit of battle damage there, Danny.   I'm betting you will spiff this one up beautifully.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wow!!! Awesome! You'll be able to make a true "renaissance" ...

Regards, Antanas

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Always can be done better, always can be done more!

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My builds:

1.  75 mm Boat  - Master Korabel;

2.  95 mm Boat  - Master Korabel;

3.  Double boat  - Master Korabel;

Looks like you'll be kept off the streets for a while with this one Danny! I'm sure you'll turn this into a very nice finished model too.

G'day Danny

I've booked the front row centre seat for this log. Looks like there is a bit of demolition before construction can begin. Have fun mate.

You are the very best one to do it.

Regards

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi Danny,

Looks like a bit of a challenge but I'm sure you are up to it and will make a superb job of her.

Are you intending to redo all the rigging?

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

All that rigging and gear on but no shrouds!? I never could have imagined THAT one. But now you could be off the hook, who could blame you for making up the shrouds-with the ratlines-off the model? Tie the shroud gang around the masthead as a single unit. Its not your fault!

Edited by JerseyCity Frankie

Niagara USS Constitution 

Welcome all :) .

Are you ging to replace those famous plastic blocks with better looking ones, or did you decide they fit in with the general appearance of the model?

Good question Jan. I'll leave the plastic ones as long as I can find the rest of them - they weren't in the kit box, I hope I've put them in another container  :huh:  . I'm on a limited budget with this model, and I REALLY DON'T feel like making them all from scratch for this one ;) .

Are you intending to redo all the rigging?

It'll probably be easier to rip it all off and start again Jeff. I'll use a better quality thread (but not Chuck's this time - I have quite a bit of leftover stuff from previous builds).

The first thing I've made is the stand. I need some way of supporting the ship, and I need to keep a building board as low as possible so I can actually fit the model on my workbench (see pic below).

I've used the kit-supplied stand, and screwed it to the keel :

Stand 001.jpg

Stand 002.jpg

Here's what I meant about keeping things as low as possible. The Foremast only JUST clears the ceiling of my caravan. The Mainmast won't fit at all, so I'm thinking of shortening all the masts until it does :

Stand 003.jpg

Stand 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Looks huge Danny. That fore-mast has to be about 5 ft. What is the width, height, and length of this one?   

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

G'day Danny

Oh you are in your van away from from your tools........ That's another challenge for you. Goodluckmymattie and try to have some fun.

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

George - she's 1100mm long, 1000mm high and 200mm wide.

Oh you are in your van away from from your tools

No Greg - I live in a van, and most of my tools are here :) .

Good luck finding missing parts.

Russell :) :)  :

Blocks.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Danny! By the way, I think it's a good thing you're doing for the family's keepsake purposes, and by no means would I consider this a lost cause or "folk art" as has been previously suggested.   :dancetl6:

Cheers :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Danny,

That's quite the challenge especially on a limited budget. What's story about the paint below the waist? It really is a rather bilious color.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

by no means would I consider this a lost cause or "folk art" 

Me either George :D .

What's story about the paint below the waist? It really is a rather bilious color.

Yeah, pretty yuck John :D . I guess he tried to match the color on the kit box - without much success ;) . It's supposed to be "White Stuff" which was used as anti-fouling in some periods. I'll re-paint it.

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Danny! By the way, I think it's a good thing you're doing for the family's keepsake purposes, and by no means would I consider this a lost cause or "folk art" as has been previously suggested.   :dancetl6:

Cheers :cheers:

Hi Danny, I totally agree with what George said.  This will mean a lot to the family in the years to come.

Danny the rough part about this model is either building as the original or upgrade and improve it, I do not envy you and wish you the best, I will watch avidly as you find all that is wrong and fix it, What plans Re you Goin to work with?

David B

Thank you wyzwyk and Jack.

Danny the rough part about this model is either building as the original or upgrade and improve it, I do not envy you and wish you the best, I will watch avidly as you find all that is wrong and fix it, What plans Re you Goin to work with?
David B

David, as with the other Restorations I've done I'll try and make it look like it was completed by the original builder - something that's more difficult than it sounds, but it also gives me a lot of latitude as far as details are concerned ;) .

The original plans were still in the kit, for what they're worth. I'll be going with them.

Cheers, Danny

Quite an interesting project Danny.  Just cleaning up the layers of dirt appears that it will be quite a chore!

Seems strange that anyone could have progressed that far on the masting/rigging and not done any of the standing rigging.  People are strange.  :)

Good luck, I'm sure we'll learn a great deal from you as you do this!

Danny

I remember following your restoration of an old HMS Victory model. It was a great job. I'm sure you will do this one justice as well.

Cheers

Steve

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Thank you Brian and Steve.

Seems strange that anyone could have progressed that far on the masting/rigging and not done any of the standing rigging.  People are strange.

Yeah, I don't know what the story was there. I do know that it was the first Masted model he'd attempted, maybe he thought the ratlines were too hard to tie so he left the shrouds off as well? The Billings plans are about as good as any of theirs (not for the novice :D ) so they didn't help him much.

How will you finish it?

It's already been stained, so I'll tidy those areas up a bit and give it a coat or two of semi-gloss. Below the waterline will need a re-paint with a color closer to "normal" ;) .

Cheers, Danny

Hey Danny, I'll take a seat on the side line if that's ok. I think that's a noble project you've taken on there. I'm sure the family will be happy beyond words. I agree with George's comment, it's definitely not a lost cause. Can't wait to see the progression as I've not seen a restoration before. I hope to learn much from this.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)