Norske Love by Dan Vadas - Billing Boats - RESTORATION

To me one of the hardest things is to match up paint so that it blends well.

I hope I can look over your shoulder for this bit of family history.

David B

Edited by dgbot

Welcome to the build Matt.

Can't wait to see the progression as I've not seen a restoration before

Check out the two in my Signature :D .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Hi Danny,

That's some interesting rigging sequence you have there..

I suspect for the novice looking at a ships rig, it might make sense to work outwards.
Shrouds may look like they would be very much in the way for belaying (-well, honestly .. aren't they? ;-) )

I like the idea of finishing like the original builder would have.
I have a couple of old plastic models I built as a child to renovate. The first one (Revell USS Constitution) I did some time ago and is now on display.
I adjusted the rigging, adding missing lines, moving misplaced lines etc. I also fixed up some sloppy paint job at the quarter galleries.
Relatively minor changes, but it somewhat changes the model so it's not quite the model I built as a child..

For the next two (Sovereign of the Seas and Victory), I've done some minor fixes, but I'm stopping at that, see how it goes.
If it doesn't have any of the knots I tied, the paint I put on and the bad glue joints, I may just as well buy a new kit and assemble it from scratch much easier for not much money and the same result.. It's really hard to do the appropriate balance, because leaving them as is is not an option, they have all been dismasted through several moves and can't really be displayed like that.

Much admiration to you for doing this. It seems a very difficult task to me.

/Peter

Thanks very much Peter, and a welcome to you too. 

I may just as well buy a new kit and assemble it from scratch much easier for not much money

Ain't that the truth :D .

Well, I've made my first decision - all the rigging has come off, as well as some of the masts. I'll most likely remove the remaining ones, as it's a lot easier to detail them on the bench :

Rigging Off 001.jpg

Rigging Off 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Peter, I was just about to send out a plea for help in that regard. I don't have ANY of the larger Deadeyes. Scaling off the plan they are about 8mm diameter. I have more than enough of the smaller ones.

Any help here would be appreciated, as they are going to be one of the first jobs.

Cheers, Danny

Of all the challenges this ship will toss your way I just can't seem to see past the dust!    :rolleyes: 

I'd say good luck but you're in a group that doesn't need it!   B) 

So happy refit!

Alan 

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

The Billings Cutty I'm fixing up at the moment only has one size deadeyes, approximately 6mm across.

Unfortunately, deadeyes are almost used up, only 13 left..

I also found 5 more very large Billings deadeyes, about 8mm diameter. I have no idea where I got them from, there not from the Cutty.

(I have more of blocks and double blocks)

As you may know Danny,I broke up a model of this vessel and salvaged most of the fittings.I intended to finish her,but found her hull to be 50% plaster.If you let me know what you need,I will put them in the post for you.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

you don't waste any time......no rest for the wicked,  as they say  :D  :D      this is quite an undertaking........but you'll do a wonderful job of her.   having build so many Billing's kits.......I wish I could help.    surprisingly,  most of the kits I've built have come with the wood dead eyes........it's the blocks that made me nutz  ;)   {most were fishing vessels - not many to worry about}.   I can certainly sympathize with you of the rigging diagrams  though.......like someone went nutz with a straight edge  :D  :D

happy to pull up a seat and watch......a friend of mine has been wanting me to do a build of this magnitude.  I'll get to see what I've been missing out on  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Alan, Peter, Nigel and Popeye - thanks for the replies :) .

I'm OK for the Deadeyes now. There's a shipment of wooden ones coming from Captain Steve - thanks heaps mate :) . If I need anything else I'll post it when I find out, but I think I'll be OK from here on.

Back to work - did I say it would take me about 6 weeks to do the Restoration? Not by a LONG shot  :huh:  . I took a closer look and found that "old mate" had used CA to glue on all the deck fittings, and also to finish off all the rigging.

EVERYTHING I touched broke off on the glue joint. As well, all the brass fittings that had been near the CA had a green deposit on them. Yet another reason NOT to use CA for anything permanent  :angry:  .

I had to strip nearly every part off the model. Here is the state of play at the moment - I've blown all the sawdust, cobwebs and years of accumulated dust off using a large compressor. Next job will be to wash everything :

Before 005.jpg

Before 002.jpg

Before 003.jpg

Before 008.jpg

Before 010.jpg

This was the way all the blocks were attached. It goes without saying that they've all been stripped off as well :

Before 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

G'day Danny

I pressed the LIKE BUTTON, but there should be an UGLY BUTTON to press instead. OMG was the model in the water for years? With all the green slim on the decking it looked like it was! Do you think you can still do it in 6 weeks? Good luck mate.

Havagooday anyway

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Remind me to never say 'yes' to a request to restore some old wooden boat.  Haha.. what a mess.  I'm sure you'll end up with a masterpiece, but man, that looks like quite the chore.

Hi Greg and Brian,

Do you think you can still do it in 6 weeks?

Not even in 6 MONTHS Greg :( .

that looks like quite the chore

I've finished off worse for others Brian :D .

Before I do any more on this I've just been handed ANOTHER Restoration job. This one WILL only take a couple of days. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers, Danny

I have to say you love it!!! Otherwise you would not take on an overhaul like this. Best of luck! I will watch from a safe distance :)

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Oh, that looks horrible! Does CA really do that to brass? Wow!

The foredeck doesn't exactly look clean either.

Has the model been sitting in a shed or an attic?

Ship restoration is a bit like old cars it seems. What seems pretty ok can quickly deteriorate as you start checking closer.. :(

It sure looks like you have a lot of work to do!

/Peter

holy sh......ishkabob

now I see it

if I hadn't seen what you can do I'd say you were crazy

this is going to be a treat to watch

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Hi Danny,

I think your photos convincingly show why putting a finished model in a case is a good idea!  I can't even see the deck in your second shot!

I've a soft spot for the Norske Love as it was my dream build while I was floundering along doing my very 1st build (a Billings Krabbencutter - never finished) way back when as a teenager. That build may now be in even worse shape somewhere in my parents loft back home in London!

Will follow along as know you will be doing a fantastic job as you restore her. 

Cheers,

Nigel.

PS.  Note to self...no CA!  :)

Edited by UpstateNY

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Hi Danny,

She is looking a lot better now with all that rigging gone. It's a pity about the CA glue as it has added a lot of extra work for you. :(  At least you now have a clean slate to work with :)

I hope the decks clean up OK :)

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

Wow Danny!  Definitely not a job for the "faint of heart", but I know you'll work miracles with her. "Miracle Worker" -- Perhaps a new overhead handle above your avatar?   :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Geez Danny,

I had no idea the damage was that bad !!

Whilst I'm absolutely certain that no-one here questions whether you have the capabilities to restore this ship, well, I just gotta ask ...

Would you ever consider doing a wreck diorama ??

(Maybe using one of my earlier builds ...)

PS: Have those dead-eyes arrived yet ??

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Geez Danny,

I had no idea the damage was that bad !!

Whilst I'm absolutely certain that no-one here questions whether you have the capabilities to restore this ship, well, I just gotta ask ...

Would you ever consider doing a wreck diorama ??

(Maybe using one of my earlier builds ...)

PS: Have those dead-eyes arrived yet ??

What a great idea Steve. There would be much work to do on her to get to "that" stage.

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Lots of work but worth it. Looks as though it was fairly well built and would have looked not bad at one time. I am really looking forward to this restoration, but what I would really like to see is the look in their eyes when you deliver the final product.

Hello

Ive been doing the Norske Löve for some years now. I actually are about to begin on the rigging. The hull is 99% complete and I was just browsing for some ideas on the Rigging for Norske - Would it be out of stile to have the mast tops square rather than round - After all the Norske was built in 1765? 

Regards from Iceland

SveinnE

post-9517-0-83689100-1440802023_thumb.jpg

Edited by molset

Thanks for the comments guys. Yes Steve, the deadeyes arrived safe and sound :) .

Would it be out of stile to have the mast tops square rather than round - After all the Norske was built in 1765?

Hi molset,

I'm no authority on Danish ships of the period, I know more about the English ships of around the Napoleonic era. However, I'd stay with the round tops for this particular model - the English and French were quite a way ahead of the other nations in warship building design and introduced the "square" tops in about 1700. The Danish may have taken a lot longer to start copying them, if indeed they did at all.

Besides, the round tops have more "character", in my eyes anyway :D .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

• 1 month later...

Danny,

Squeezing in here, crowded room. I missed out on most of your Vulture build, what I did watch taught me a lot as well as left drool on my shirt from envy of your skills. The comment abour the CA and brass was good to know, I didnt realize CA would cause brass to corrode.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Thanks Crackers and Sam.

For the bad news - I'm not going ahead with this project. On closer inspection there was far too much shoddy work done by the previous builder to make a half-decent job of restoring this model. By me anyway - I have better, more enjoyable things to do. I've given it back to the owner, who is going to have a go at fixing it himself.

The good news - my next major project (apart from some fun "Object in a Bottle" gifts for my and my partner's various grandsons) will be a Cross-section of the midships of Vulture. Link can be found in my Signature.

Cheers, Danny

• 8 months later...

Bill, read the post just before yours - I didn't go ahead with this one.

Cheers, Danny

• 2 years later...

Hi Dan

I'm new to the site and was contemplating some re-work on my 1974-1979 build of a Billings Norske Love.  I never fitted the parrells nor finished the carving on the stern.  As I looked around this site I saw may examples of the square tops and was considering that change.  R.C. Anderson admits he has no insight into what would be proper.  That was no help.  It wasn't until I read your partial log that I decided not to make the change.  I'll simply say thank you.

warren barnhart

I have two other builds.  A 1966 "Cutty Sark" and a 1947 "Privateer" which was started in 1947 and finally finished in 1985