I am beginning a project to prepare plans for a Virginie class Sane frigate. Your build log is an inspiration. Cannot begin to say how impressed I am. I will be using TurboCAD v18 and Solidworks for my own project, Thank you for setting the bar so high. As the French would say totalement incroyable.

John

Thank you everyone for the kind words!

Bava, at the beginning I came across this model of the Pandora (It seems that it was built by Woodeater and/or his friends. By the way, does anyone know whether Woodeater has come back to MSW 2.0? It is always a pleasure to see his and his friends’ builds.):

http://www.shipmodels.com.ua/eng/models/elite/pandora/index.htm

http://forum.modelsworld.ru/topic8068.html

I was amazed by the details of this model and decided to build a similar one in 3D, thus this project.

WackoWolf, I worked on this project intermittently and it took me about two years to get to this point. You can do it a lot faster if you draw something everyday.

John, I am looking forward to see your project!

Jingyang

Edited by ppddry

Best regards,

Jingyang

Current build: HMS Pandora (1779) in 3D

Jingyang,

Your CAD work just takes my breath away.  Incredible details, just incredible.  Thanks for sharing them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It's wonderful that we're having so many great CAD builds on this site. The meticulous precision and attention to detail throughout are just as awe-inspiring as some of the physical builds.

Brilliant work, Jingyang, and thanks so much for taking the time to show us the build.

Tony

Jingyang, you have a marvelous tool to work with and you use it as a master.  It would be a charm to build HMS Pandora with this set of drawings. The problem with 2D drawings is that it is sometimes difficult to visualize a piece in 3D but with the extractions that you can do with the drawings  it makes everything easy to understand.

I do not know if you are still working on this model, but would it be possible to show us  a drawing  just like if somebody would be inside the ship?

Thank you

Gaetan

Thank you, Mark, Tony, and Gaetan.

Gaetan, it is indeed much easier to visualize the parts in 3D and it helps to resolve some contradictions between different 2D drawings. I am still working on the model, but slowly. I will try to render a picture showing as if someone is inside soon.

Best regards,

Jingyang

I do not know if you are still working on this model, but would it be possible to show us  a drawing  just like if somebody would be inside the ship?

Thank you

Gaetan

Gaetan, this is for you.

Inside the great cabin, looking aft.

post-142-0-19311800-1363720151_thumb.jpg

Edited by ppddry

Best regards,

Jingyang

Hi Jingyang,

thank you very much.

I like the colors

I like the angle of view

It is surprising how close from reality their effect can be.

There is a lot of work behind your work.

You have a fantistic tool to evaluate dimensions of parts in relation one to the other.

Congratulations for your work!

Gaetan

Hi,

I'm out of words for now, hard to describe. May be a best 3D build I have been seen till now. Keep the pictures coming!

Alexander

Current build: HMS Sphynx, 20 gun ship launched in 1775 at Portsmouth, Hampshire.

On the drawing board: HMS Anson, 64 gun third rate ship of the line, launched in 1781 at Plymouth

Banner_AKHS.png

that is impressive

i find it cool that you can build and show the interior and even a make a video virtual walkthrough of her .

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

This thread is AWESOME. I am drooling all over the details. The frames, the individual cabins, the masts, to name a few drawings.  I do a lot of landscape design and use a 3D app. to make it look real for the customer (which by then it sells it self).  But your work and creativity is just beautiful.

Thank you for sharing.

Marcus

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Hi, Jingyang! 

This HMS "Pandora" in scale 1:48
model russian master Narim Majgeldinov is constructed.
Your 3D model looks perfectly!
Edited by Garward

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

A great video, Bernard.

I'm putting comments and questions about it on another post in the CAD forum on this site (the title is 'The video of 'La Belle' construction) in order to avoid taking over Jinyang's excellent build.

Tony

Thanks everyone for the good words!

Garward, thank you for providing more details about the Pandora model. That’s the very model that inspired me into doing this 3d build.

Bernard, that’s a great video! I have seen it before, but I still couldn’t help but watched the full 10 minutes of it again.

Tony, it’s alright. My progress is slow so it is good to have something else to fill in the gap.

Best regards,

Jingyang

Hi,

your 3D Pandora is outstanding. But be warned ... when it comes to the rigging ;-)

You might have taken notice of mine here:

http://www.navaltales.de/components/com_ponygallery/img_pictures/originals/20130217_1954330117_17022013-01.jpg

www.navaltales.de

Rgds,

Stefan

Stefan, your model looks impressive!

I am working on the figurehead now, and it is already quite a struggle, not to mention the rigging ... :wacko: 

Best regards,

Jingyang

Wow, absolut fantastic.

What software do you use for your virtual build? How do you made the step from the 2D drawings to the 3D model. Was it all done by the software?

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 4 weeks later...

Looking good!

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

• 2 weeks later...

Every day I see new ideas and new ways of creative expression. This one leaves me in awe, the individual vignettes of the details and how they fit together are so useful for those who build in the solid from 2D plans.

This build could become a prominent book on the building of one of these ships A boon to modelbuilders and historians alike.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.