Enterprise by src - Constructo - 1:51 - or Lessons in Adapt Improvise and Overcome

No, gents I will be walking on gravel. There was a note on my front door this afternoon. The city is FINALLY repaving our street.... THIS WEEKEND!!!!! They say the street will be closed. Eh, no problem, my mom is a young 87, her sister is a young 86 and my brother just had a kidney removed in February, they can make the 300 yard walk from the corner.

Good Times:o

On the build front I have been stropping blocks and adding them as I have time, I have managed to strope 8 in the last 2 weeks as well as rigging the Fore Jeer blocks. When there is something to show I will get pictures and maybe a couple of the ceremony if your all real nice and the mods dont object to loudly.

Till then.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

You knoiw civil servants, they do know how to enhance a party ...

"Eh, no problem, my mom is a young 87, her sister is a young 86 and my brother just had a kidney removed in February, they can make the 300 yard walk from the corner."

You might consider borrowing a Humvee for taxi purposes ...

Have a wonderful day, Sam, and your missus too

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

So the wedding is this weekend????  I missed that part.   Have something tall, cold, and alcoholic once the ceremony is over. Both of you two.   You deserve it.  

I've seen projects like that. :default_wallbash: Maybe it's time (if you haven't already) called in the customer and said..."pick one".  If they pick one of the those that you're not working on, change the billing and the deadline...  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

congratz on your wedding my friend!   may you two prosper!  one thing that always helped me along,  is ya gotta have a sense of humor.  but.....hold ye tongue,  if ye has a quick wit ;)    I recall the time the admiral and I were having a rather heated debate.   since it was late in the day,  she decided to get into her lounge ware.   walking off.  she she stated that she was going to go change.   my quick answer was  "for the better,  I hope!"   yea.......did not go well.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

is ya gotta have a sense of humor

In my case it is HER that needs the sense of humor! After all she married me!

Congratulations Sam As you are still not back with us giving updates on your Enterprise she must still be with you as well. We are going on 38 years so there is hope for you two as well! It's certainly a different life but a satisfying one as well. 

Best of luck.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

46 and counting here...I've learned just to keep my mouth shut, biting your tongue helps, seriously though best move I ever made, truly my better half, my best wishes to you and your bride Sam

gonna be 30 for us.......kidding aside.......for two people who aren't a good match according to the zodiac,  we meld quite well together.   we proved it on a trip out one day.........no music,  but we both started sing'in the same song,  same verse,  at the same time.  did it again at the grocery store the other day.   as I told her the other day when we were just sitt'in 'round yesterday.......it's been a fun 30 years  :) 

I keep her company

she keeps me in line  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hmm.... I'm a bit behind here... pictures of the nuptials for those of us unable to attend?   I'm raising a toast....  :cheers:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks everybody, the deed is done! I am an honest man now. :oB) When there are some photos Ill get them up. The photographer is a friend and inst charging us so I am trying to not push him on time.

Work continues to be very slow on the build front.

On another front my new brother in law is a ship builder, who knew? looking forward to getting out to Boston and see his work. Never got a chance to see if he is here at MSW, need to look into that.

Sam

Congratulations Sam, the deed is done. I hope you and your missus will have the ride of your life, as calm, or as exciting as you wish it to be. Rest me to say take care of each other ...

Cheers

Carl

I could hear the toast now.........."you didn't just gain a brother in law.........you gained a modeler in law!"  ;)    congratz my friend......marriage is only as good,  as how many times you goof up ........at least,  that's what MY admiral says  :D 

spock.jpg.e926e1405278f6082fd42f16483856b1.jpg

live long and prosper

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...

Thanks Dennis!!

Now that the job site craziness is over I can see if he is here.

I have managed to tie on a couple of blocks today and get a handle on where I left off in February, jeez that seems so long ago.

Thanks for all the likes and well wishes, now lets see if I cant make some progress here!!

Sam

Sam,

He's now kin.  Give him a call.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Woo! Hoo!!! After many months of my build sulking in the corner feeling like a red headed step child I finally have some progress to show. Not much but its something.

I started in on the Fore Top Mast shrouds as well as some of the various and assorted blocks for the running rigging. It took me a while to make sure I had everything on the masts before I started the next set of shrouds. I I didnt do that when I started teh lower masts and struggled getting the various collars rigged with the mast in place. Hopefully I got everything this time.

I marked the lengths of the shrouds this time and tied the deadeyes on off the ship, it was easier but I am not sure if they will come out at the same length when I rig the lanyards, I hope they do, I dont really want to re-do them. I figure if they are all within 1/4 diameter of each other nobody will notice.

Now, to try catching up on all the builds that have got away from me in the last week and a half since I have visited here.

Sam

FroeMast-01.thumb.jpg.15930266ddbd94235b619fa62bd33641.jpg

good to see your getting back to the table :)  look'in forward in seeing more!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the comments and likes everybody.

Murphy has been a busy boy lately, making sure I get very minimal build time in. Work slowed down but with all the things that were put off over the last several months, I had a few projects to deal with, an annual fishing trip with my brothers  and a couple of trips to the emergency room. All is ok, thought I had the beginning of appendicitis, I had a pain in the same place for several days that would no go away. We still dont know what that was, images show nothing out of the ordinary.

Another night I had what we thought was an allergic reaction to something I ate; red splotchy skin, hives, crazy heart beat and blood pressure, breathing issues. They treated me for anaphylaxis and sent me home later that night with instructions to see an allergist. They found nothing but a couple of minor allergies to grasses and trees, but NOT mango or tuna which is what I ate. Instead they found the tuna was bad (smelled fine). Apparently there is a bacteria that will grow in some fish and the by product is histamine, LOTS of histamine, which leads to anaphylaxis. Heat wont destroy histamine apparently so even if I burned dinner I would have had issues. Fortunately Better Half was working and didnt eat or we would have had to call an ambulance for both of us. Instead she drove me the short distance to the hospital (she was walking in the door as symptoms were getting "interesting." "Honey, do I look red?" "Yes" "Hmmmm, lets go see how busy the ER is."

All better now, I will take food poisoning over having to worry about what is in my food for the rest of my life and carrying a $600.00 eppi-pen.

Now as for the build, when last we talked I had started the Fore Top Shrouds. The Starboard side is ratted down and I started the Port side this afternoon just before I took some pictures. The port side would be done already but when I started the rats I discovered the shrouds were a bit loose for some reason. They didnt LOOK loose just felt loose. I figured, no problem I'll just tie them off and all will be well. Can you hear Murphy chuckling in the background? obviously I didnt as I just jumped right in. I had 5 ratlines tied off and leaned back to take a look. They looked like some weird staircase instead of nice taught shrouds. So, after redoing the lanyards and sheer poles I was back where I started at this morning. Much better than where I was at lunch time!!!

Obligatory pictures, dont want to anger Sjors or Lou!!! 😛 (yikes! I see in my absence we have the entire IOS assortment of emoticons!!)

Apologies for the soft focus. I was hand holding and didn't check my shutter speed. Or my point of focus apparently.

Sam

Fore-Top-Shrouds-01.thumb.jpg.24e6f276826b7927d0141a764b6c4821.jpgFore-Top-Shrouds-02.thumb.jpg.e33cb8ed53195cb035d9e4075831041b.jpg081218.thumb.jpg.deb7ce9fc04c78790ddb52ee4a23a87a.jpg

Edited by src

super.........upper shrouds are look'in very good :)    glad your feeling better and it wasn't serious

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The shrouds look so trim and good, Sam. I'm glad to hear they found what the problem was. Why is it that whenever work slows down, everything goes off half-cocked?

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Nice recovery Sam

Next to planking, (that I am at last over the halfway mark) shrouds are my next biggest fear. I suspect there will be a few other things I will learn to fear in between but right now it is shrouds.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

8 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Nice recovery Sam

Next to planking, (that I am at last over the halfway mark) shrouds are my next biggest fear. I suspect there will be a few other things I will learn to fear in between but right now it is shrouds.

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.  Hmm....eerr...  <looks at scrap box overflowing>  Yeah... just fear itself. uhhh-2.gif.557ecb48ab858798c85e0a602defb8c3.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

You only have one scrap box?:huh:

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

LOL!! My entire work bench is a scrap box!

Thanks for stopping by everybody and to all who hit the like button.

Port side is ratted now, well three more and then done. After that I'll trim everything and take a couple of pictures.

I have my Main Top Shrouds served, just have to join the mid point together and I can start the process all over again.

Lou, Shrouds arent terribly difficult, although this next round I will tie everything off in place. My fore deadeyes are a little out of alignment. I understand a real working ship they would not be perfectly lined up but from 51 feet away I feel like you would not see slight differences. But thats just me....

Sam

Lou,  Carl knows me.. yeah a large scrap box and when it gets full, it becomes kindling for the fireplace.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

1 hour ago, src said:

Shrouds arent terribly difficult

Easy for you to say Sam. People keep saying the same thing to me about planking the "right" way.

58 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

yeah a large scrap box and when it gets full, it becomes kindling for the fireplace.  

I guess that is where I went wrong, no fireplace. I have scrap stuff from RC builds 25 years ago and a giant doll house that was started almost that long ago! When one box fills up I just start another box! Then there is my plastic stock pile, my brass, aluminum, and steel. The list is really pretty extensive.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

5 hours ago, lmagna said:

I guess that is where I went wrong, no fireplace. I have scrap stuff from RC builds 25 years ago and a giant doll house that was started almost that long ago! When one box fills up I just start another box! Then there is my plastic stock pile, my brass, aluminum, and steel. The list is really pretty extensive.

You at least conform to the recycling directives of the Dutch government, you might make a profit from it by selling it, as "clean sorted" would get you the extra penny ... :) 

Carl