Enterprise by src - Constructo - 1:51 - or Lessons in Adapt Improvise and Overcome

1 hour ago, cog said:

You at least conform to the recycling directives of the Dutch government, you might make a profit from it by selling it, as "clean sorted" would get you the extra penny ... :) 

I would have to. I got a letter from our recycling company this month and they raised my monthly bill by several dollars stating that the recycling system was no longer working and they needed to make up for lost revenue!:huh::( Why does it not surprise me that yet again some required Government mandate has gone belly up and costs me even more for not working?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 2 weeks later...

Not problem Carl. I think the only people who might take issue are the mods.

Lou, that's what government is for. Come spend some time in Kalifornia.

Back to building.

Fore-Shrouds-01.thumb.jpg.05875bbc82dcc31439a1d8d49525d00a.jpg

I have Trimmed up my Fore Top Shrouds, they came out ok although I think I will be removing one or two of the top Ratlines, I may have gone a bit too far up.

Main-Top-Shrouds-01.thumb.jpg.1f8f6be227e8ccc85bb394162c3c0712.jpg

I Started in on the Main Top Shrouds, I did a better job turning these in than I did on the Fore Top. I still cant seem to get my servings to all end at the same length for some reason. Its barely noticeable so I am leaving them. Just something to work on in the future. I think I need to fix the center dead eye though, its a bit low.

Sister-Blocks-01.thumb.jpg.470b1d6e718eebc732d6a54597fe837d.jpg

Sister-Blocks-02.thumb.jpg.02ecfd018ac7afe661624615b6edc8a6.jpg

I got a wild hair and decided to carve some sister blocks, they are coming out......ok, I have seen much better here. Having trouble getting them to be somewhat similar in shape.

Mitchells-Abrasive.thumb.jpg.79d24894ccdcab5222eb99f69798273e.jpg

I did find this micro abrasive cord at Amazon. It is working pretty well at shaping the sheaves.

That's all the news that is fit for print. Better half is out of town for a couple of days, hoping to get a bit more build time in the next few nights. Lets see what Mr Murphy has to say about it.

Sam

Edited by src
Spelling

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Thanks for the "like" button hits!!

You spoke too soon Carl, I kept looking at my sister blocks thinking they just didnt look "right." Looked back at TFFM which is where I came up with my dimensions. Then looked at Masting and Rigging and realized I had completly scaled them wrong!!:default_wallbash:So, back to the drawing board....

Sam

...not only that.........isn't the adjoining block supposed to be smaller?   great idea though........you could mass produce them very quickly ;)    I too like the idea of the abrasive thread.......the though of easily prepping blocks appeals to me.  especially if the holes need to be enlarged.  upper ratlines look fine.......I wouldn't bother removing the extra rungs you spoke of.....why mess up a good job!   she looking sweet!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

5 hours ago, src said:

Thanks for the "like" button hits!!

You spoke too soon Carl, I kept looking at my sister blocks thinking they just didnt look "right." Looked back at TFFM which is where I came up with my dimensions. Then looked at Masting and Rigging and realized I had completly scaled them wrong!!:default_wallbash:So, back to the drawing board....

Sam

that wasn't Murphy ... he comes after the first one, twice! You should keep your mind on the work at hand, not that lovely lady you married!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Dennis, you have been following this build long enough now, i can do nothing fast it seems!! LOL

Carl, Better Half went and left me in charge of the animals and the house for a few days, she even cleaned before she left. Silly woman!

I re-scaled the sister blocks and spent some more time looking at "Masting and Rigging" I think the shape is better now. there is still some shaping and thinning to do. Hopefully I can get two parts for each mast to be reasonably similar. I need to find somebody that has a 2mm compass lead harder than 2h, I think that may help a bit. When I went to 6h on my mechanical pencils that gave me more consistent line thickness and more accurate parts.

Sister-Blocks-03.thumb.jpg.a4ba7c558ee9c16c8e10c920e65f583e.jpg

Sam

Edited by src
added photos

You are right, even getting married cost you a whole heap of time!!!

When it comes to cleaning, women are silly ... never understood why to clean up my bench, as it will be a mess the moment I'm back at it ...

Hope your PC didn't get Murphy on a visit :P

Edited by cog

Carl

Last night of no one but me here, Better get to work.

8 hours ago, cog said:

When it comes to cleaning, women are silly ... never understood why to clean up my bench, as it will be a mess the moment I'm back at it ...

Why she would clean the house before leaving me alone for several days thinking it will be clean when she gets home is beyond me.

That and making the bed everyday. I am just going to mess it up at night! Fortunately she accepts I am not going to make a bed, even when she is home. She does it.

Sam

Why make beds?

When I go to bed I mess it up. When I get up I leave the bedroom and usually do not return until it is dark and time to mess it up again! The dog or cat may go in there sometime during the day when it is not being used but they could care less as well. Bed making is for when you change the sheets.  

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

ARRGH, Between Friday night, yesterday morning and today I have managed to carve 3-1/2 sister blocks. 3-1/2  because as I was finishing up the last one I managed to break it in the middle. I epoxied it back together, put it in the oven for an hour with the pilot on and then left it out for another hour to cool (epoxy is soft when warm). When I un-clamped it it just fell apart......... Murphy strikes again!!!

Pictures below. They are still not great but I don't know if I can do much better:

Sister-Blocks-07.thumb.jpg.91c50db09c343baf395a21998c0bb68c.jpg

I re-carved the Main blocks, as I was shaping them I was referring to the lower picture and forgot I was making the upper, I cut off the bottom dovetail. I reshaped them, they are better than the first go around but still not great.

Sister-Blocks-05.thumb.jpg.44b1c2e5da8e16c9419ce7a276b4ef4a.jpgSister-Blocks-04.thumb.jpg.be464c134275fd34656ca16b28c55db1.jpg

These Fore blocks are TINY!!! They were coming out somewhat better than the Main until this:

Sister-Blocks-06.thumb.jpg.54e4fbe6a66766a2999af2793140d9ca.jpg

Murphy had a good chuckle.

Oh well, I am not at work, Better Half is home and the Dodgers won in the 12th after a power outage last night. I am just glad the power did not go out while I was in the restroom!! Or worse, walking down the steps to my seat with a beer! That could have been interesting.

Sam

Edited by src

So, 2-1/2 hours later I have a replacement carved. pretty fast for me. They are still not awsome but I think I can live with them. The replacement went easier than the others, I imagine if I kept tinkering and remaking I could get them better. From 18" away a lot of the @&^$#!! fades away.

Sister-Blocks-10.thumb.jpg.af3cf0277162c4ddd468a5eea3a96608.jpgSister-Blocks-09.thumb.jpg.4f5404295120c079554a398930bb085b.jpg

I have started relieving the sides for the shrouds on the top block

From 18" away (75'??) they are passable:

Sister-Blocks-11.thumb.jpg.ebaa00e2614fbdce3be564ba6d730727.jpg

Sam

Hiya sam,    I have been catching up with your build,   you are doing a lovely job so much fine work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Less beer, less games, less Murphy, I would suggest, but the first is impossible, the second necessary, and the third inherent to the previous two, so you'll be stuck with the way you work my friend ... you keep on muddling through (try and try again), and still have a way to create some lovely looking parts, which I would dream of making ... instead I just rip open a plastic bag and pull out a sprue with all detailed plastic thingies ... give yerself a break laddy, yer doin' fine

Carl

O.C. good to see you, thanks for stopping in.

Carl, Steve, thanks and thanks to those who hit the like button, its all appreciated. I AM a bit fussy about certain things, I get something in my minds eye and it has to be that way. Comes from years of being told, "Make it look like the drawings"

Sam

Distance is our friend, saves headaches sometimes:default_wallbash:

Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Great looking work Sam and your perseverance is to be commended. Looking forward to your next step. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, wanted to say I am using this thread as reference/inspiration for my own build. Got the kit for my birthday one day and this is the best documented post I could find. Fun to see how long the build is taking, really steady progress. Inserted a few pictures of my own build to show the stage I'm at. It is almost like I don't have to make any hard choices now about what to customize and what not, because you already encountered all the major issues with this kit. Safer for me to make a good build without making any big mistakes.

So thanks alot for this thread and keep up the work,

Greetings,

Hjalmar

IMG-2109.JPG

IMG-2110.JPG

Halve maen 1608 (rigging and improvements to be finished)

Enterprise 1799 Building currently

Hjalmar,

thanks for dropping in and the good words, I appreciate it.

Do you have a build log?? I would love to follow along. 

Don’t take my build as gospel, I have made more than a few mistakes. (Mast woldings) In other cases I have just done what worked for me at my level of skill. 

As far as the length of time, most of that has been my job, it tends to take over my life for months on end. 

I will have a bit to show this weekend I think. Right at the moment it’s 3:30am and I am on a break at work. Hope to be back on a day schedule Thursday. 

Tiger dave, O. C. Thanks for stopping by. Always nice to see new faces. 

Best,

Sam 

Edited by src

• 2 weeks later...

as long as you can get'em in the ballpark,  they'll do the trick ;)   perseverance pays off!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jay,

Thanks for dropping in and thank you to those who have stuck around and hit the like button.

Well I can not blame my last absence on work this time. It has bee sheer lazyness, to a degree. I have continued to put build time in but I have also been spending time sitting in front of the TV at night with Better Half. There was also the vintage camping trailer she wanted as a project for "her"......... why do I see my self learning about the Care and Feeding of a Scamp Trailer????

I have finished the Top Mast Shrouds and Ratlines. There is some trimming to be done still.

The back Stays presented a dilemma, TFFM, Masting and Rigging and Chucks Syren instructions all say the back stays should be mounted to the channels or to stools behind the channels. I am out of manzonia as well as the stain i used for the channels. I noodled about and reluctantly began mounting them per constructos method; double blocks mounted to the deck. I am OK with it, just one more lesson to apply to the next build.

Obligatory pictures below.

Fore-Top-Shrouds-03.thumb.jpg.bbf3ba0c6e1e7d7639457605648dc038.jpg

Fore Top Shrouds and Ratlines

Main-Top-Shrouds-01.thumb.jpg.0feb273df820a19add4278d0f650e769.jpg

Main Top Shoruds and Ratlines. I need to give the Port rats a hair cut.

back-stay-01.thumb.jpg.61a2120947d31abcf9222cdd24ddfc13.jpg

Main Back Stay per Constructos instructions.

It looks like a good dusting is in order this weekend.

Thats all the news that is fit to print for now.

Sam

3 hours ago, src said:

Thats all the news that is fit to print for now.

There is more ...!?!?!?

Although little, it shows much, the more choices one gets, the harder it is to choose. You should have stuck to one Sam. Since you already have precious little time to devide between better half, bench, TV, Scamp Trailer (whatever that may be), work, and your build, you shouldn't introduce more variables to influence your decision making skills ;) By the way. I like the way you've secured the guns, backstay looks from this side very well done

For the shearing of your rats ... she is still under construction, so you've got some lee way, the buggers may still be a hairy bunch :) 

Carl

Hey Sam the rats look good...and resurrecting old RVs can be fun, I've done a couple over the years...just be prepared for more ugly before you get to the good parts

J

progress is progress...no matter how you slice it  ;)     look'in good Sam :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks to all, comments, likes etc. Very much appreciated.

Carl, I seem to be taking on some of Better Half's traits, she likes to have too much going on in her life.

Thanks Dennis.

Sjors, they era very welcome here.

Jay, I may be contacting you about restoration tactics in the future.

Now then, back to catching up on builds.

Sam

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all!

I actually got a lot done this weekend, at least for me.

The topmast back stays are in as I mentioned earlier. I am changing the way I am belaying them to be more like the other stays. No pictures of that part yet, that is on this weeks list.

Top mast stays are in and tied off but I need to redo the Fore Stay Lanyard, it doesnt match the Fore Preventer Stay at the moment.

I repaired my Fore T'Gallant mast and install both T'Gallants. Main T'Gallant shrouds are in and tied off on the port side, Starboard are up next. My Main Back Stays are seized to the mast but not tied off below yet.

If work cooperates I should get these items finished this weekend, maybe more.

Now, its off to bed for a little nap, I started my day at 2am to be on a jobsite at 3:30. Same thing tomorrow and Wednesday.

Sam

11_26_18.thumb.jpg.c9893532869e8e2a39e405402cea2fd0.jpgfor-top-stays-112618.thumb.jpg.dd34ec9e43dff3e52ca6164dd8e9bf40.jpgfrotopshrouds-11_26_18b.thumb.jpg.8d3e4c061f03fcef3f0135b6c19c41fc.jpgMaint_gallant-112618.thumb.jpg.9d7015905b5a2979a9d97f0858862534.jpgmain_top_stays112618.thumb.jpg.de5aaeb419aab6993de33baa2fc5f1ff.jpg

Till Next time,

Sam

main_top_stays112618