Enterprise by src - Constructo - 1:51 - or Lessons in Adapt Improvise and Overcome

she's look'in good Sam.........glad to see your making some good progress on her :)   rigging looks really good as well as your blocks ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

It's great to see an update, Sam.   Looks most excellent.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

it's so ... tidy, Sam ... goodness gracious ... your progress is rather good if not great, despite the hours ... I start to relate to you ... work wise that is, at modelling you are still far above me

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks everybody for the comments and the likes. She may look tidy at the moment, give me some time (a year??😀) and I'll clutter her up good with more string.

And now its off to work, one more day on site and back to more human hours for a while. And none to soon, its supposed to rain this afternoon and I am driving my old Escape, with a sunroof, that leaks like its not there. I just didnt want to put ladders and tool cart inside a brand new vehicle, can ya blame me??

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

• 2 months later...

Well...... I guess its time for an update. We have officially been slow since December. However I just could not seem to find time to build. When I did I found I wanted to sit on the sofa with an adult beverage and watch the idiot box with Better Half.

I have not been a total slug build wise. All the masts and shrouds are now in. Working on Fore Top gallant stays and the jib Something or Another - that's a true nautical term by the way!! Trust me!!

I have also adding in the foot ropes, they need the knots trimmed and there is some additional belaying to e done.

Build Mojo has been back the last couple of weeks AND we wont be real busy again till June (right!) so I might get more for you-uns to see soon.

Pictures or it did not happen. Sorry for the poor quality. I need to find a better way to block the clutter in the back ground.

Sam

022519a.thumb.jpg.06626c670482297e235d290b917a06b1.jpg022519b.thumb.jpg.74e240592a491a161e9a4e8c784e7fdc.jpg

11 hours ago, src said:

Fore Top gallant stays and the jib Something or Another - that's a true nautical term by the way!! Trust me!!

Ahhh yes...its abate of the hogie flibits but aft of the woggy wonkies :P:D

Thanks for the kind comments and likes.

Russ, she is getting there.

J, yes those "Wonkies" are important aren't they?

Johnathan, welcome aboard.

Carl, that towel hides a plethora of bitty pieces and accoutrements. Ooo! "Wonkies", "plethora" & "accoutrements"! Aint I Edjamahkated!

Nothing to show at the moment. Not sure what I will get done tonight, pretty tired, got a call at midnight from an installer that a job was going south. Ended up driving in to the shop to make some parts then to the project location and helping out till 3:30. I was back at my desk @ 8:30. I am getting to old for this. The boss-man might need to find a new project manager, work is interfering with my build time again.

Sam

Edited by src
gramatical back patting

Carl,

Yea they probably compare notes!! He is actually a pretty reasonable boss, I could go in tomorrow and tell him I want next week off and he'll say "Ok what do you have on your plate at the moment?" He has never complained when I would ask to use the shop tools for side jobs or to take time off when I would photograph a local theater group 2-3 times a year. He was actually surprised when I came in at 8:30 and told him I went in at midnight. Told me I should have slept in more. That doesnt mean the hours dont get to me and I am looking forward more and more to retirement in 10 years. E-gads!! Thats still 3650 days away!!!

Ok, small update time.

I kept looking at my foot ropes on the jib boom and not liking how kinked up they were so off they came. The new ones hang much better. I may leave the knots off as that is when the last set kinked up, although they were a little too short also I think.

I told myself I wasnt going to do the horses, but then as I was reading in TFFM and Syren instructions I suddenly found myself seizing on the lines for them. The set in the picture are attempt number 3. They were either too tight or too loose. I wont say these are just right and they do pull the Fore Stay out of alignment a bit. I may have to re-tension the Fore Stay which will probably cause a cascade of other re-dos. Hmmm perhaps I will just leave well enough alone....

Woo Hoo!!!! Almost done with the standing rigging!!! I started figuring out yards dimensions this morning. I may finish this build this year! (Who am I kidding??? We have two parade floats due at the end of November, most likely around the beginning of August I will be on a 12/6 or 12/7 schedule. 3650 days, 3650 days...)

Bow Sprit and Jib Boom as they look today. I didnt tidy up the horses before I took the picture.

Bowsprit-11.thumb.jpg.c424caabc2adb48577a24ad8a91770e4.jpg

New Foot Ropes, they actually hang even, the camera angle makes them look off.

Jib-Boom-Foot-ropes-1.thumb.jpg.bfe4de90428e5aec9fcbbcda5b2dad8b.jpg

Beginnings of the Horses. Looks like I need to do some dusting. The running tackle and jib in-haul look like they are rubbing on the Fore Stay and Preventer Collars, they actually clear by close to a scale foot.

Horses_01.thumb.jpg.803265f7342369abb6aa40eb22cfb50b.jpg

Thats all Folks!

Sam

Some very nice rigging, Sam

NIce boss to let you sleep in (3590, 3590 - until our gov'ment decides 67 isn't old enough - 3590) does he wake you up if he doesn't know at what time you started cutting trees ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

CArl, the boss wont do that unless its life and death. There was a welder once who called me at 2 in the morning to tell me "The crane just showed up and hour and a half late" I made it pretty clear that wasnt a valid reason to wake me up.

Build wise Does anybody know if the a ship this size would have had Stunsail booms??I think that is what they are called. the small sails and yards that extended out beyond the yard? I dont intend to include many sails at all but I am curious if I "need" to make the iron work. None of the images I have of the Enterprise shows them employed.

Sam

Hello Sam

Wow, wow, wow and wow again what a fantastic build you are doing.

If I could press the like button a million times I would have.

Do you wish to buy my little IL Leudo of me 😎 so you can build her, then I can say I built her 🤣.

Jo xx

Current Build:

IL Leudo - Mamoli - 1:34

FD10 Arnanes 701 Billings scale 1:50

"Good conversations are the ones you have with people you do not know"

Woo Hoo!!!! Standing Rigging IS DONE!!! Well unless I decide to redo my back stays. Knowing they arent right, I keep thinking there should be something I could do short of ordering more wood and pretty much starting the rigging over. Sorry, I am not that brave (masochistic?)

031019b.thumb.jpg.a439bd8d304d3adc7fd38a6d214ae0f0.jpg

Finishing off the horses was a bigger challenge than I anticipated; getting the stretcher bars to sit square was interesting. They still are not quite right. I can live with them.

Horses-10.thumb.jpg.2603a04cf5ba021b7249aeb8a7c983aa.jpg

I have started shaping my Driver Boom and Gaff. Kind of refreshing to work with some wood again. I had to repair my 7-10-7 jig as I seem to have broke it at some point. I think next build I will make one from brass, this is the second or third time I have had to repair the one I have and its the second I have made.

Driver-Boom-01.thumb.jpg.d02b129d55e557245d3215ccc2c76c7a.jpg

Next up 8 squaring the parts.

Sam

031019a.jpg

Jo,

Thanks so much, you are way too kind.

Build her for you??? Now what kind of friend would I be if I did that? Nah, I'll let you have all the fun and glory on your build. 🤪

I will however give you all the advise and encouragement I can. Although, when it comes to advice, there are far more experienced and skilled builders here than I .

Sam

Sam:

Your rigging looks pretty good to my eye. Go with what you got I say. 

Russ

Thanks all for the comments and those who hit the like button. Appreciated.

I am definitely my worst critic. Gets me in trouble sometimes.

Gaff is largely shaped, starting in on the Driver Boom tonight.

First I eight squared the Gaff, you cant really see it in the picture:

Driver-Gaff-01.thumb.jpg.c3de2853295ae8adc38776f9653af28f.jpg

Then rounded everything over. Once I finish the Boom I'll give everything a final scrape and then a coat of blond shellac. then a good rubbing with linseed oil. then I can add in the blocks and figure out how to mount the parell beads:

Driver-Gaff-02.thumb.jpg.0263587ac03775a97050d57fbdb6d88a.jpg

Sam

Sam:

That looks very good. Will you add any cleats to the gaffs to keep the halyard blocks in place? 

Russ

Thanks Russ and all who hit the like button. Yea I will be adding the two cleats at the end as well as a couple of eye bolts, one at the end and two on the jaws. I think there are also 6-7 blocks to be tied on before I mount it.

Didnt get much done last night. I was OBE - Overtaken By Events

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

In the process of hanging (shipping?) my Gaf. Apparently the Vangs should run from an eyebolt up to the block and back down to a cleat, according to TFFM and Chucks Syren. I am in the process of thinning and reshaping some of Chucks Shroud Cleats and then I will figure out a place to epoxy them on. Once I have stained them to more or less match the mahogany. OR, if somebody has a better suggestion I am open.

Sam

Driver-Gaff-03.thumb.jpg.a571776e5c6d28f6577b971986a99708.jpgDriver-Gaff-04.thumb.jpg.603b33e470bfd1bdbe72e101144bcfa9.jpg

Edited by src

she's look'in great Sam.......as everyone has said......I wouldn't change a thing!  :)   while it may seem an eternity work'in on the model,  you can be certain,  that when you are finally finished,  your gonna have one superb look'in model to display  :)   nicely done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch