Enterprise by src - Constructo - 1:51 - or Lessons in Adapt Improvise and Overcome

Hi Sam,

Magnetron, oven, take-away, delivery service (depends on your taste aswell) ... However, so far you've been well on the way creating a production plant for carriages, what about the foundry ...?

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl, I bought barrels sometime back, I forget where. I may try casting my own one day in the future. 

As far as take away, I do most of the cooking here which means she does most of the cleaning (SCORE!) Most likely it will be left overs and BBQ. I love to make a mess in the kitchen but HATE to clean it up and most take out food leaves me feeling kind of ill lately. Must be the lack of grease in my diet, what was I thinking marrying/living with a YOGA instructor?? :D  :P

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Sam,

Thoroughly enjoy going through your Enterprise build log. As I browse through projects picking up tips, finding a log like this one is like finding a treasure chest.

Your hull is absolutely beautiful.....love the color contrast.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Hi Sam, If we were closer yes. I would worry with a smile, !! As the weather is good in the uk for the weekend we may have a bbq, you could jump on a plane. Lol guess we will have to settle for a coffee in october,

World record, hmm you could be right, but time is not important for greatness.

Edited by Rich.f

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

• 5 weeks later...

Been quiet for a while here. Took on some side work which took up most of my build time. I havent been totally away, been following along on various builds quietly and catching a few minutes of bench time whenever I can. 

I "finished" the ladders, they need to be remade, the steps are a bit crooked and on one there is a noticeable gap at the rail. I was so pleased with my joinery on the rails and bits I figured I could do the ladders by hand also...........NOT!!! They just arent what I want so I picked up a dremel bit and this weekend I will remake me some ladders. 

I also discovered the cross piece on one of the bits was too close together; the hatch cover that goes between it wouldnt fit. I had marked everything out and then cut to the wrong side of the lines...............sheesh! All fixed now just need to stain. I picked up a bit to rout out for the trunnions on the carriages also, mabe I can get those ready for stain this weekend also. we will see.

post-326-0-93453800-1404958258_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-68729700-1404958261_thumb.jpg

Thats all the news thats fit to print! More later.

Sam

Great looking ladders. The problems are hardly noticeable. I think would do okay. Well done.

Russ

Edited by russ

I'm with Russ on this one.  Good work.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Sam,

I have to agree.  We're our own worst critics, especially on stuff that will be hard to see if seen at all.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the likes and encouragement, you have me rethinking. I have bought the bit already and have a method worked out, more than likely I will go ahead and at least give it a go. Something I should have put in the original post is they are far superior to what I would have had using the kit parts. 

And yes, I am absolutely my own worst critic. Hard to escape the Gremlin when he is Mr Grump-O-licious! :D

Well, its 8:30 here and I have to be up in 5 hours to go to work.  :huh: See ya all on Saturday.

Sam

HI Sam looks good. If you had not said you made the cut short, no one would have known.

But glad you have got a little bit more done,

Kept it up. 

Edited by Rich.f

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

BUT ... in case you need a bit of encouragement to do better, I'll mention that I did notice some tiny gaps where your steps didn't go all the way into the risers!  Is that what you're getting at?

Brian, yep. also the top step on the other is just crooked enough that I see it every time i look at it.

Thanks for the kind words rich and brian,

Sam

Dang, Sam, that's one HUGE bevel gauge!

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

wow picky picky picky! But if we are pleased wit your first go, I am sure we will be in awe of your do over!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Robbyn, Thank you! The one with the gaps was really bothering me, I could most likely live with the other. 

I have rerouted new sides and glued up one set. The glue was setting as I tried to get everything clamped together, I suspect one side will fall off tonight when I unclamp it. Gonna stop at the Big Blue Box (Lowes) on the way home and see if they have 30 minute epoxy.

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

Sam,

Why not use dovetail joinery, nice and sturdy. You are a fine craftsman, so that shouldn't pose to much of a problem  ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl! Great to hear from you. Dovetails, LOL! If I thought I could cut a dovetail at this scale I would be all over that. :) I think if I tried there would be some special visitors at my house with a nicely starched jacket to wear.

Not much to show at the moment, I have rebuilt one stair set, but the second set was inconsistent, when I went to mill another set the locator pin in my jig broke of completely. I think it was cracked when I did the second set and that is why it wasnt as consistent as the first. I havent decided yet if I am going to try a third set. I have replaced the stair that was bothering me the most and started working on my gallery windows; those are really challenging me. 

I glued a portion together several times only to have them fall apart. I finally went to epoxy, first 5 minute but it set up before I could get everything together and clamped. I changed to 30 minute epoxy, the first glue up fell apart after being clamped up for two hours. I dont think I used enough to gnerate the heat needed to cure. THe next attempt went into the oven with only the pilot light on, that cured up real nice. 

post-326-0-51704900-1406775560_thumb.jpg  post-326-0-77743000-1406775562_thumb.jpg

I havent figured out how to finish these yet, I think the verticals would have been fluted columns of some sort but I havent done any carving or embellishments anywhere else, I am concerned they will look out of place. The top and bottom have me stumped also, I've been looking at other builds in the past day or two for inspiration but mostly what I have found are galleries that are part of the transom. Might be time to head over to the forums and ask some questions.

Thats about it for now,

Sam 

Check out Chuck's Winchelsea log.  I think I remember some gallery tips on there.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Sam,

Good on you.   Augie's right.  Chuck's Winchelsea has some great tips.

30-minute epoxy at Lowe's???  I must have missed it.  Gotta' go there tomorrow or Friday so I'll hunt for it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sam:

That looks good.

I think I would opt for a simple raised edge on either side of the column. Perhaps a strip of card glued to either side of the column that stands just proud of the outer surface of the column to give each column a shadow line on either side.

Russ

Clean work, Sam. I admire your persistence. That oven trick is another one to remember.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

All, thanks!!
Chucks build was the first one to come up when I did a sure site search of galleries. I don't have his skills, not yet at least.....maybe one day.
The roof detail is something I have been noodling over. I read somebody's log who feels simplified builds like mine look like they came out of a Shaker cabinet shop, i have to agree. Not sure if shingles similar to Chucks will look out of place, most likely I will at least try one and see.
I hadn't thought about card in place of the fluted columns, something to look into.
Sam.

Edited by src

Moving along slowly with the Quarter Badges. Between "Fully Framed" and Chucks log as well as others I am muddling through it. There has been minor progress on carriages, nothing worth showing, a few bolsters is all, maybe this weekend. I am generally pleased with the direction I am going with the badges, the lower portion needs more shaping and a ball at the bottom. Then I can start on the top.......and do it all over on the starboard side. :) feel free to mark up my photos if yo usee something that need addressing.

post-326-0-88950300-1407471910_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-62233200-1407471913_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-89320100-1407471918_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-33439200-1407471916_thumb.jpg

Thats all the news thats fit for print today.

Sam

Sam, that's clean and beautiful and fits the ship. I like the contrasting colors of wood and different grain directions. So much more convincing than that pewter blob to the left.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Sam:

The badge looks good. I think the minimalist approach is good. Nice scale appearance.

Russ