18th Century Longboat by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - 1:100 scale - BOTTLE - using most of Chuck's Practicum

Hi all,

A while ago I'd intended to build a Real de France in a bottle, but I've changed my mind on that as it's going to be a present for my girlfriend and she wasn't keen on the ship. I've since deleted the topic I'd started.

So I've gone with her preference, which is a model of Chuck Passaro's 18th Century Longboat in a much smaller scale (1:100). It might be just a tad easier than the R de F :D . Here's a pic of the finished article (Chuck's, not mine) :

Side View.jpg

I have a very nice (empty :( ) bottle of Dimple Scotch Whiskey which will be suitable, as I'm intending to build with a lofted mast and oars. The triangular shape of the bottle will accommodate both these features nicely. The bottle is 200mm long (including the neck) by 90mm wide/high

Here's a pic of a scale pic of the boat in the bottle, just to make sure it fits :D . These two pics are about the same size as the real thing will be :

First Try.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

You don't believe in making things easy do you Danny? This I've just got to see! :)

I have every confidence that you will do a brilliant job (as usual)'

I would advise not to partake of whisky to calm your nerves during your build as you may

end up emptying another bottle and have a compulsion to build another (ship in  a bottle) and end up in a

vicious cycle!  Just kidding. I am looking forward to you facing the challenges of this build!

Good luck, Danny!

Bryan

Model(s) under construction: RATTLESNAKE. 1:48

Next on the launch : ECHO 1781 1:48

Me three! get in on the ground floor of a master work.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thank you to the Peanut Gallery ;) for your support - this should be fun :D .

Here's the first step. I carved a Plug for the hull, which I'll plank the same way I did the Cutter for Vulture.

I'm assuming that a 26' Longboat will be proportionally thinner amidships than a 18' Cutter (i.e. they would both be about the same width) - there would be no need for extra width, as one man per thwart would still apply. I've made the hull as wide as will be possible to fit into the neck of the bottle, but still wanted the hull to be as long as possible.

Final dimensions of the hull are 72mm long, 20mm wide and 12mm deep :

Plug 002.jpg

Plug 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

The Keel is made from English Box in three pieces. I've cut in the rabbet, and also glued on the Apron :

Keel 001.jpg

Keel 002.jpg

Keel 003.jpg

Keel 004.jpg

To give you an idea of how small this boat is, here's a pic with a standard size needle threader for comparison :

Scale pic.jpg

Cheers, Danny

:o

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice work Danny. Especially on a scale so small.  I'll bet building the little cutter for Vulture came in handy for keeping those "miniature tooling skills" honed.  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Mark, George, John and Canute :) .

I'll bet building the little cutter for Vulture came in handy for keeping those "miniature tooling skills" honed.

Sure did George, I'm building this one using virtually the same techniques.

I've started the planking of the hull, using 0.4mm thick Castello. If you think that making a longboat less than 1/2 the size of the one I built for Vulture would be easier - think again :D .

Those "12 inch" nails I'm using to wedge the planks in place are actually only 12mm long :D :

Planking Started.jpg

While waiting for glue to dry on the planking I've made the Mast and Booms. The mast tapers from 2.0mm to 1.0mm, and the small boom is 0.8mm in diameter :

Mast and Booms 001.jpg

I also cut the shoulders into the ends of each boom :

Mast and Booms 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Chuck :) .

And now for something SMALL - the Deadeyes.

These are 1.6mm in diameter, and each has three #80 (0.25mm) holes. I turned them on the lathe in sections of 4 or 5, held them in a Pinvise to drill them and then turned them around in the vise, cut them off the section and sanded the "sprue" off :

Deadeyes 003.jpg

Deadeyes 001.jpg

Deadeyes 002.jpg

Two down, six to go.

Cheers, Danny

Just "wow" Danny.  So tiny.  I guess whatever you work on next will be huge by comparison.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great choice in bottles Dan.  Dimples are some of the best.  Your work even at this scale is outstanding.  She's going to look great.

Thank you Mark, Daniel and David.

Great choice in bottles Dan.  Dimples are some of the best.

The idea is to fit a mast and oars Daniel. The shape lends itself really well for this. BTW - I'm glad I didn't have to buy the bottle - I saw one in a liquor shop last week for $70.00. Though it WAS full :D .

The first pic shows how I held the deadeyes for drilling:

Deadeyes 005.jpg

Nine deadeyes (1 spare which I've already needed) next to a couple of Chuck's 1/8" (smallest) blocks :

Deadeyes 009.jpg

A bit more work while waiting for the last of the planks to dry - I've made the four Chains. I used 0.25mm brass wire (the bottle was "wrapped" in it) which I silver soldered and blackened. I also drilled a 0.25mm (#80) hole in the end of each for the "bolt".

Deadeyes 010.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Amazing what you're doing on such a small scale Danny! 

BTW - I'm glad I didn't have to buy the bottle - I saw one in a liquor shop last week for $70.00. Though it WAS full :D .

I don't think you'd have any problem recruiting help to drain it.  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks George, and no I don't need any help with drinking the contents :D .

I've finished the planking. It turned out even better than my 1:48 scale cutter :) :

Planking 001.jpg

There were no problems at all when I pulled it off the plug. Nothing :huh:  needed cleaning up inside :) :

Planking 002.jpg

Planking 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

On the dead eyes did you cut and drill them one by one or drill three deep holes into a dowel and then cut it into slices? Either way your method us giving me ideas.

I drilled them one at a time Daniel, any more and the drill runs off line.

However, I kept them all on the stock I'd turned to make fitting them into the pin-vise and parting them easier. The last one was a bit of a pain to clamp.

Cheers, Danny

Dan, great work so far.  I was wondering how do you keep the planking from sticking to the wooden plug while gluing it in place?

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

Nice hull.  This should be a fun build. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Dan,

That hull looks so fragile, this is so beautiful done! :)

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks Sal, Bob and Per.

I was wondering how do you keep the planking from sticking to the wooden plug while gluing it in place?

I used furniture wax on the wooden plug, and glued each plank by wiping the glue over the seam instead of trying to glue the edge.

To prevent the hull from spreading while fitting the ribs I made a jig. I had that problem with my Cutter - this will do the job nicely :) :

Jig 002.jpg

Jig 003.jpg

Here's a tip for edge sanding very small or thin planks - another jig :

Jig 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Love that last jig Danny - brilliant in its simplicity and clearly works very well.

Thank you Grant and Igor.

The ribs are made from 1mm x 0.45mm Castello. I wet-bent them all before fitting, and used hair clips to keep them in place until they dried. The tops will be trimmed later.

Ribs 001.jpg

Ribs 002.jpg

I've also made the fore platform :

Ribs 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny