Naval Cutter Cheerful by SawdustDave - 1806 - 1:48th scale

I will be building Chuck Passaro's "Cheerful" as a very special gift to my ENT surgeon (Dr. Harold Pillsbury) in appreciation for his outstanding efforts in my ongoing fight with a serious life threatening infection of my left ear.

I hope to be able to finish this and present it to him at the conclusion of my continued daily IV treatments as a complete surprise.

"Dr. P" is a very special man, going far beyond normal efforts in my case.... Calls me at home after hours during the week to check on me and encourage my wife.

At my last weekly appointment in his office, the man gave me a $250.00 pair of tiny alligator pliers because I had made a comment.... "What a neat rigging tool" they would be.

His staff knows about this plan but they have all been sworn to secrecy.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Sorry to hear about your illness Dave...hang in there and keep fighting!

Wonderful thought to build this for your surgeon...I will follow along if you don't mind.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Opened up the plans only three days ago. I do recommend, for anyone who is thinking about building this beautiful "Scratch Build" project, the low cost of having Chuck laser cut the bulkheads for you is money well spent.

The photo here is with the bulkheads inserted as a dry fit....and I will tell you every single one of them slid in place like butter and the top surfaces aligned absolutely perfectly.

post-11777-0-43372600-1442159598.jpg

The keel pieces have been added and sealed with a single coat of wipe on poly...

post-11777-0-56091800-1442159795_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-42544100-1442159809_thumb.jpg

Chuck recommends using boxwood for all of the exposed parts, but due to the expense and difficulty for me to get boxwood lumber, I am using basswood. There will be a slight difference in color and grain, but I will accept that under the circumstances.

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Looking great Dave..... :)   You might also want to consider hard maple.  If you can mill it on your own it is readily available and very reasonably priced.  It will be much easier to obtain a better finish that closely matched the boxwood using it.  Even at Lowes or Home Depot.

Hi Dave....It's always something is'nt it....... just hang in there, with todays treatments you'll do just fine..... good luck on your new project.

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

You are so right about hard maple Chuck. Have used it quite a bit for small turnings and some deck fixtures. In fact, I'm quite sure I still have some in my lumber boneyard.

Thanks Frank.... Any time I'm working with the guidance of Chuck's well illustrated instructions, I feel very comfortable. I will always consider him my mentor. (Don't let that go to your head Mr. P)

Sawdust Dave -

Sorry to hear about the infection Dave.  But what a great idea to show your appreciation of the doctor's work.

Think I'll pull up a chair.  Chuck's design and your workmanship should be a dynamite combo!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Spent the last couple of evenings fitting the bulkheads and bow fillers.

Began fairing the starboard side bulkheads last night and this morning. After four hours of careful sanding, I am getting very close....

post-11777-0-89097100-1442407955.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Here's the great surgical alligator grippers I mentioned earlier, given to me by my surgeon.

This is a really handy tool for getting into tight places with a good firm grip on those tiny parts.

It should be pretty handy for rigging as well.

post-11777-0-70723600-1442408330.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Hi Dave, best of luck with your infection and I'm eager to watch your Cheerful come to life.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

It looks like you are getting off to a great start!

I have a general question: Is the alligator clamp you got from your surgeon a better quality than a simlier clamp you can get from one of the mail order houses?

Thanks.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

After several hours of careful sanding, I managed to complete the fairing of the bulkheads and move on to installing the gun port sills.

First, seen here, using a temporary batten to mark the smooth alignment of the sills on both sides....

post-11777-0-07373800-1442595187_thumb.jpg

Then carefully cutting and fitting the sills and uprights according to the plan sheets with exactly 17/32nd openings.

post-11777-0-80759500-1442595285.jpg

post-11777-0-85968500-1442595292.jpg

Also note that all gun port sills have been faired perfectly flush with the fairing of the bulkheads.

Sawdust Dave -

Looks very good Dave.   :)  But you will know when its completely faired when all of the laser char is removed from the bulkhead edges.  Just a little more to go...

Gotcha Master P..... Figured the final touch-up's could best be done once I begin planking. Although the thin batten was laying very nicely across the bulkheads, I fully expect to have to make a few tweeks, once I begin fitting the stiffer planking strips.

Those last three stern bulkheads are the most obvious.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Gonna pull up a stool for this one too if you don't mind Dave.  She's on my list of future builds as well as a few others.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

The transom frames ready for the band saw. Using maple, they will be a little tough for the fairing process, but very strong. This appears to be a fun part....

post-11777-0-49761800-1442762101_thumb.jpg

And here's the result....

post-11777-0-94687500-1442762170_thumb.jpg

She's all faired and ready for planking....

post-11777-0-65952100-1442762230.jpg

I should add, what a pleasure it is to be, once again, working with a great set of plan sheets that can be trusted. A big relief from the SOS project where I have had to fight the plans every step of the way.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Sawdust, let me answer you question regarding alligator forceps.  I am an ENT surgeon and use them daily in my work in the office, the OR and the shipyard.  There is a tremendous quality difference between the $15 hobby quality alligators and the real McCoy.  However, a good, not great, pair of forceps will run you $150.  The difference is in the set of the jaws, the strength of the grip, the weight and the quality of the metal finish.  Is it worth it for our hobby?  No.  Alligators also come in scissors (Bellucci scissors).  These are wonderful for cutting the ends of rigging in those hard-to-reach spots.  Hope that helps.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

You're right about the difference between the hobby alligator's and the much longer and stronger ones you ENT surgeon's use.

I am laying here right now, awaiting the good Dr. Pillsbury to come by and release me to go home after his second deep cleaning of the left mastoidal area. Guessing you have been there and done that as well Toni.

Sawdust Dave -

Alligators come in different lengths, depending on their intended uses.  I use the long ones in your photo more for nasal work and shorter ones for the ear.  There are even longer ones intended for neurosurgery.  Many surgical instruments can be adapted to our uses.  My OR team knows that if something isn't good enough for surgery, it might work fine for the ships and they give me first dibs before throwing them out.  Bits used in ear surgery typically are not allowed to be re-sterilized but work great for carving wood.   

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

My Dentist is my source for all my carving bits Toni.... I've had the shorter alligators for years and will find these longer babies handy for a longer reach and considerably larger jaws.

Sawdust Dave -

Very close to finishing the port side planking above the wale.... not too bad so far.

Before posting any further progress, I feel compelled to drop a few advanced explanation's.

As noted from the beginning, this project is being built in appreciation for a very special physician who has become a big part of my life.

Something you must understand about this man, along with about any other graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.... when you cut them open, they all bleed "Tarheel Blue". To the point of being very offensive to everyone else in the world....especially those from any other ACC school.

First.... he found my blog site with all my ship projects and has already asked me to do a commission build for him. Which I said I would certainly consider doing something for him once I finished the SOS.

Obviously, I do not intend to ever charge him for building him a ship. But, the main point here being, he loves the bamboo skin on my more recent ships.

Second.... This is primarily to prepare Chuck, I will be painting the hull below the wales that hideous Tarheel Blue! I know this will make you want to heave chunks Mr. P, but this is a request from his beloved staff members who are in on the project.

Also, I am using bamboo planks above the wales because he says he loves the bamboo.

So let the shock kinda settle in for a while before I force you to see any of this in future postings.

Finally the name.... The UNCENT Cutter - Pillsbury

He doesn't have a clue as to why I've now taken to calling him "Captain Cutter"

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Having issued fair warning.... here is your first view of your beautiful Cheerful wearing bamboo clad.

One coat of wipe on poly....and a little more sanding to do.

post-11777-0-20563300-1443051408.jpg

I'll try to save you the pain of seeing the blue hull until the bamboo has time to wear off. hahahaha

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Speaking for myself Dave, the bamboo doesn't look too bad.  Not sure what "shade" Tarheel Blue is, but like we say here in MI -- "Go Blue"!   :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Carolina Blue = Sky Blue to the rest of the round world. :)  :10_1_10: 

Edited by Canute

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Now, allow me to brag on Chuck's plan sheets and PDF instructions.

My fairing techniques have been pretty much "self developed" over the years. Not bad, but....

This time, I followed his method of fairing and marking the planking to a tee....and must say, this has to be the nearest to perfection I have ever achieved in having the run of each strake lay absolutely perfect to each bulkhead. No waves....no highs/lows....no fighting with alignment.

This is one kit I am absolutely enjoying.

Chuck.... Send check made out directly to Dave Bullock... You have my address.

Sawdust Dave -

George....I can't say enough about Chuck's influence on my love for building model ships. Go's back to the Syren project and then the Confederacy, which I have taken to four shows around the state and been honored with "Best in Show" each time. Last show in Fayetteville, there were two other really fine Confederacy's entered, but I think my fully rigged version must have a little more "WOW" going for it in the public eye.

The man is a master teacher in the way he writes his instructions.... As if he is sitting beside you with every cut.

BTW.... I hope to eventually manage to take the SOS to a level of "HOLY SH##!" hahahaha

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -