Looking for a Bench Top Drill Press

Hello there, 

I am in the market for a bench top drill press and would like some suggestions from you all.  I currently have a cheap chinese made bench top drill press that I picked up for about $60 a couple years ago.  My current drill press has done some good work for me but I really don't think it is that safe as the pull down handle can be pulled out and this causes the spring loaded drill press head to shoot toward the ceiling which has broken the top plastic cover.  This time around I am able to spend a bit more money but I am having trouble finding reviews that I trust for these small drill presses.  I have looked at the Microlux drill presses from Micromark and they both seem decent but I have heard mixed reviews of them.  I would definitely prefer a drill press that will, like the Byrnes sander I own, last many years and hopefully be a pleasure to use.  Most of what I am finding are very similar drill presses to the one I currently have and I am skeptical to get anything that resembles my current press.  Any and all help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Best Regards, 

-Max

"We should not moor a ship with one anchor, nor our life with one hope."

Current Build: Benjamin Latham, Model Shipways

On Hold:  Pilot Boat Phantom, Model Shipways

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff, Midwest;  The Dinghy, Midwest;  Sharpie Schooner, Midwest

Max,

I have a "full-size" that I got from Lowes similar to this one:  http://www.lowes.com/pd_197820-353-3320-01___?productId=50084024&pl=1&Ntt=drill+presses  which appears to be similar to the MM ones.  Plus.. no shipping costs. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, 

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have considered some of this size of drill press but have been worried that they will not accept the tiny drill bits that are commonly used in model ship building.  Most of the time that I am using the numbered drill bits, I am using a pin vise and drilling by hand but sometimes the drill press it preferred, such as drilling holes in the masts for eyebolts and whatnot, I find the drill press can achieve more centered holes than I can by hand.  If the chuck on these presses cannot hold the tiny drill bits, is there an appropriately sized drill chuck connect to a shank or something that you know of?  

Thanks,

-Max

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff, Midwest;  The Dinghy, Midwest;  Sharpie Schooner, Midwest

I've had this MM one for about 10 years.  It's smooth and accurate ..... but I don't push it beyond about 5/32".  It will handle drills down to about #74.

http://www.micromark.com/html_pages/instructions/81631i/81631-drill-press-inst.pdf

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Max I have a bench top Sears Craftsman drill press I've had for decades. Also have a Dremel 389 with the Dremel drill press. I mostly use the Dremel for the real small stuff and the Sears for larger stuff. The Sears is similar in size to the Skill bench top Mark has from Lowes.

A pin vise or a small drill chuck can be chucked into the larger drill press.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Max,

mtaylor's bench top is on the top 10 list for 2015. I myself like the shop fox w1668, also on the top 10. But the real little stuff I enjoy my dremels in combination with the vanda-lay drill press set up which can be upgraded as you go. Plus it can be setup for lefties or righty's.

You can find it here...

http://vanda-layindustries.com/html/acra_mill_plus.html

Hope this helps out in your decision making.

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

If this is not what you already have: Eurotool  DRL 300

http://www.ottofrei.com/Mini-Drill-Press-110V.html

I have seen it priced at~ $60  on one site, did not save the link

I have used a # 75 drill  with mine   -  

fit the ML X/Y  table  (drilled 4 holes in the cast base) (costs more the the drill press)

A Harbor Freight momentary foot switch is useful.

You can use a mill as a drill press   ( I you want robust and expensive )

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4660&category=

-  but  because of the bearings, I don't think a drill press will tolerate the lateral pressure when used as a mill

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Like Kurt said, get yourself a set of machinist pin-vises, and you can put any size drill-bit in any larger drill-press.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Wow, a ton of responses while I was away!  Thanks for all of your guys' input.  Now for responses as there was a ton of great info/suggestions given here.

Augie, I am still on the fence about the Microlux drill press, it looks like a decent quality tool(much better than my current one) but I don't want to regret the purchase with a hefty price tag if it does not preform as I would expect a mini drill press at that price point to perform.  Still thinking...

Jack, I too have the dremel workstation but my particular one is very inaccurate so I pretty much never use the thing.  Was quite disappointed with that dremel accessory, along with the router table accessory.

Kurt, I will have to look around online for one of these small drill chucks, that may be the solution.

Mario, that Vanda-Lay mill is a great find, I really like that it is up-gradable and there are so many attachments for it!  Seems a bit pricey at $250 but I would love to have the x and y axis control which is offered at a higher price.  I have also been looking into lathes and, while I would love to have a metal turning lathe, this thing would be great for turning masts... hmm, this might be an expensive setup once I figure in the accessories I would want.  Also, their router table is another item I would consider as the dremel one that I have is pretty terrible.  Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this company.  On a side note, the name made me chuckle because of the Seinfeld reference in there.

Jagger, that is the one I currently have.  While I feel like I got $60 worth out of it, I don't think I would be willing to buy another one, the fact that the arm can come out just really bothers me and it has scared the bajeezes out of me a couple times in the past.

George, do you have a link to an example of such machinist pin vices?

On a little bit of a side note, while looking up reviews on the Vanda-Lay mill attachment, I came across a great site for dremel accessories at very reasonable prices.  A great find, I think!  

https://www.widgetsupply.com/

Thanks again for all of the replies and great info, I will have to do some serious pondering as to the best fit for my needs.

Cheers,

-Max

Max:

Check out this link for a great mini-chuck - this guy's tools are great - and not expensive at all.  I have this chuck and it is very good.  I even adapted one for my dental drill.   http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_161&products_id=3338

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Kurt,

That is a great price for a seemingly great product, might have to pick one of these up.

Thanks,

-Max

They have a very nice micro saw: http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_28&products_id=35

I've had one for years and it works well.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

These are the ones I was remembering when I mentioned Machinist Pin-Vises Karl: http://www.micromark.com/4-piece-machinists-pin-vise-set,7764.html

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I've had the Micro Mark 3-speed drill press for years now. 13, 14 years maybe. I wouldn't be without it. It has served me faithfully all those years. In order to change speeds, I seem to recall you have to take off the top and switch the belt to different pulley positions but I've never done it. I use it at one speed all the time. I'd buy one again if this one went belly up.

Cheers -

John

Max,

I have this Proxxon drill press:

http://www.proxxonworld.com.au/product/bench_drill_tbm_115_110-120v

(I have the 240V version) It seems to be very good quality and is a pleasure to use. Ignore the pricing - that's Australian dollars. You should be able to get a good price through John (Texxn5) who is an agent for Proxxon in the U.S.

I'm with Grant. I too have the Proxxon drill press. Collets take very small diameter drill bits. I have teamed it up with the Proxxon XY table and it works very well.

post-1505-0-51739400-1442351210_thumb.jpg

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Thanks again for all the information presented here, this topic has become a moot point for me as I just found a Sherline 5400 with digital read out and Sherline 4000 lathe package that was priced at a point that I could not turn down.  I am super excited about getting these tools as I have wanted a lathe and mill for a long time but could not justify the $2000+ price tag for the pair.  I can't wait to get aquainted with these great machines, I pick them up on Thursday!

Best Regards, 

-Max

One more note: If you have anything else to add to this topic, feel free to do so as there are not many threads on here that compare drill presses that are sized appropriately for this hobby.

-Max

Max

Congrats on finding a good deal on a Sherline package.  They have an accessory called a Sensitive Drilling Attachment.  I use this on all of my drilling with very tiny bits.  I stopped using my small drill press when I got this.

Sensitive Drilling Attachment.pdf

I just got an email ad from Model Expo and they have a limited number of small drill presses for $69.99 - 57% off - using the offer code SERIOUS.  Here is the link to the drill press - showing the regular price.  I am not vouching for the quality of the tool - just making everybody aware of the sale - good till 9-21 or stock of 15 is gone as it says in the ad.

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=bd170

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Hi Kurt

This drill press looks very similar to the 'made in china' drill presses you can find in Jewelry supply houses, the big carton stores, and even Amazon.  The Micro-Mark 'amazingly low price' is pretty much what you would expect to pay anyplace else.  I had one just like it and got rid of it.

Yes, that is the same type as I had and paid a little less at a jewelry supply site as he mentioned. It was not very accurate but it did as good a job as you can expect from a tool in this price point. This cheap still press is a big step up from no drill press at all though, so if it is all you can spend, it is worth the cash in my opinion.

On a side note, the sherline mill and large combo I found turned out to be in much worse condition than it was described to me so I am back to square one. Well, not quite square one, because now I am looking at spending entirely too much on a new much better equipped pair of sherline tools with lots of extra tooling. I am trying to justify it as I can use the tools for prototyping machines and devices of my own design, I just need to convince myself to drain some savings funds lol.. We will see what I end up with in the next few weeks.

Edited by FlounderFillet5

-Max

I just threw out that link as a FYI. 

I have the Micro Mark variable speed drill press with the extended column and like it a lot.  I use it a lot but often just use my Craftsman drill press that sits right along side - but with the UMM micro chuck.  Perfectly acceptable results using either.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Just to clarify the use of a machinist pin vise in a table top drill press... You simply put the shank of the pin vise into the chuck just as you would a drill bit?  Wouldn't this mean that whatever chuck you're using it would have to handle a bit (or pin vise shank) of 1/2" to 3/4"?  My standup full size Delta drill press can do that, but can these table models handle bit's that large?

Al, I think the drill bit chucks that are being referred to probably have shank sizes between 1/8" and 1/4", but that is just my assumption.

-Max

Al,

Kurt linked one earlier in this topic for one that looks to have a 1/8" shank since it is in a rotary tool.

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_161&products_id=3338

The other one linked was to a micro mark drill chuck which has a 5/16" chuck.

-Max