HMS Victory by John Allen - Mamoli - Scale 1:90 - 5th build

I was remiss in not posting a step by step progression log. Had gotten lost in the building. I used Grant Dales suggestion on the black tulle and found the diamond pattern. Will also use black line for the ratlines. Though I am having trouble matching the size with local sewing stores and the size charts from cm to thread gauge addled me.

I am still not happy with the skylight (4th rebuild) and have not attached, as stated before so many parts (wood,pins, rings, plastic for the skylight, cleats ,etc. were partially or totally missing.  

Have finished the yards and masts and starting deck hardware for the rigging in preparation for stepping the masts.

John Allen

post-2805-0-36252300-1442570149.jpg

post-2805-0-36863900-1442570186.jpg

post-2805-0-19667500-1442570231.jpg

post-2805-0-41570700-1442570256.jpg

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Nice to see your log up John - better late than never, as they say. Looks like you're doing a great job.

• 1 month later...

All done ready to start rigging have received missing dead eyes and black line (Mamoli did not include in kit)

Have placed batting in netting some white some dingy. Flip flopping whether to include or remove.

Suggestions?????

post-2805-0-28411500-1446295074_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-32468800-1446295084_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-88892700-1446295099_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-52196900-1446295113_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-13160400-1446295125_thumb.jpg

John Allen

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

As always, the final decision is yours.  The batten provides the look you always see in paintings and such of this great ship at a step back.  I sure you are aware this should be composed of individual hammocks rolled and folded over. 

You are to be commended getting to this stage.  My dream list has a Victory somewhere out there.  Beautiful.

Mark

Very nice work, you should be proud of her, she is beautiful

Thank Mark & Don 

Your right about the hammocks when I quit flopping and decide to keep them batten is easy to cut and add rope as hammocks.

Thanks for the nice comments

John Allen

On deck

Finished

Great progress John. The rigging will keep you challenged for some time, but just keep plugging away. She's looking fabulous.

Thanks Grant

Actually looking forward to the rigging it will be a nice challenge, do realize its not Rome and will not be built

in a day or 6 months???

Thanks again for your comments

John Allen

On deck

Finished

• 1 month later...

Futtock shrouds,  %*%*%$$##&&&&%$& cannot print  :angry:

Rigging going better than expected. Have installed lower shrouds and upper shrouds and ratlines on forward mast. Started on futtock shrouds and up jumped the devil, :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :( could not get the proper tension, lines sagged. Had to cut out, remove bar and cut 2 upper deadeyes and reattach. at least did not cut a shroud. I installed the bar on the mast side had pecked around the site but cannot figure out what I did wrong.

Is the tension on the line to be taut or a little slack thought maybe I pulled a little to tight??

As usual any help appreciated.

Have to go to work no milk in the fridge baby needs shoes will check back for solution thanks to all.

John

John Allen

On deck

Finished

Sounds like you did the right thing by pushing back for a bit.  When things go south, they tend to do that in clumps.  Hopefully some rest and renewed vigor will go a long way to setting things right (that and another couple of hours working the shrouds!).

Sounds like you are doing the right things, so 'endeavor to persevere"  (favorite movie quote)

You do have quite the beautiful model.

Ho Ho Ho,

Mark

Edited by kruginmi

Thanks 

Jumped over peeked at your builds I bow to the master.

John

John Allen

On deck

Finished

• 2 weeks later...

Have completed forward shrouds and ratlines, not happy with futtock shrouds may reattach  with a smaller line.

post-2805-0-42369000-1451592347_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-12410800-1451592356_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-96976200-1451592368_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-78822400-1451592379_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-58542700-1451592391_thumb.jpg

John Allen

On deck

Finished

So, did you count how many knots you have done (hah, hah).  

If you decide to redo the futtock shrouds with smaller thread may I offer a suggestion?  Use the smaller thread on the main mast and see how it looks.  That way, if you decide to keep it as is you do not have to redo all those knots.

As a side note:  Are you aware of the magnus hitch?  For the ratline ends, it makes the cut off line end point back inwards for a cleaner look.

Looks great, shows a lot of dedicated work!

Mark

Thanks,

Thought I was up on my knots. Googled (3 different variations)  I think the one that should be used is where both lines end up in the inside?? Again good advice re:mainmast.

Always enjoyed the shrouds & ratlines it's actually the beginning of making a ship a ship enjoy the actual rigging more.

Again thank you for your sage advice.

Have  prosperous and healthy New Year.

John (almost forgot) ROLL TIDE the big A  :cheers:

John Allen

On deck

Finished

Yes, John for the Magnus Hitch I was referring to both ends should end up on the inside (if you have the Ashley book of Knots, my go to source, it is #1736).

I am coming up on my first true set of ratlines.  Looking forward to the challenge!  Probably be hitting you up for some sage advice when I am under way.

Also a safe and prosperous New Year to you and your family.

Mark

As for the 'Bama remark, I am a Univ of Mich Alum so we had some gator for dinner.  I do wish the MSU game was closer just for better watching but the tide sure rolled in on that one!

I have a conundrum  

need the experience of the masters. Was working on the ratlines mainmast. Briefly: dachshund chased the cat, cat jumped on my back while I was trimming a line and cut 4 shrouds.

I cut all mainmast shrouds and while starting over tied a partial ratline using Mark's suggestion (cow hitch) that is the problem see pics 

Cow hitch will be neat and clean- I had all ready tied ratlines on the foremast as you can see even trimmed close we have the nubs.

To make a nice presentation I believe I will have to redo foremast??? Input please

John

post-2805-0-13974200-1452258423_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-46811700-1452258622_thumb.jpg

John Allen

On deck

Finished

Hi John

Difficult decision on redoing the ratlines, really depends on how different they look.

I think that is one for you to decide.

However reference your futtock shrouds, are you going to rig Catharpins?

When the futtock shrouds pull the shrouds out of straight a bit (which is very difficult to avoid) you can use the catharpins to bring them back in line.

Which I guess is why they are there.

So might be worth giving it some thought

Nick

Since I am the source of the 'issue' I feel I must respond.  As always, the ultimate decision is yours being the captain.  My input would be to leave the foremast alone.  Maybe look at trying to trim some of the nubs closer (if possible).  The foremast will be consistent to itself.  Once you add all the running and standing rigging I doubt if 99% of anyone looking at the ship would even notice the difference.  Even if they do, you can just talk about evolution of a ship modeler and leave it at that.

Sorry about the incident.  These shrouds are your line in the sand.  Keep at it, the result will be / is fantastic.

Mark

John,

Ultimately it's your decision to make. But I would ask myself, just how much is this going to bother me down the track? If the answer is, "not at all", then leave it as is. However, I suspect that this is not the case, else you wouldn't have asked the question...... In my experience, taking a few extra days now to fix something to your own satisfaction, and while it is still accessible, is well worth the extra time and effort. Your call my friend.......

Nick your right about the pins, was not happy with the way the futtock shrouds looked. Thanks

Mark no problem you were right about the hitch gives a clean appearance will continue with that.

Grant your right will finish main and mizzen then take a hard look and make a decision then. (cutting the shrouds was not cool wife's cat could not even scold her.)

Appreciate all the sage advice. It helps and old man get on the straight and narrow.

CAVEAT:TO ALL NOVICE MODELERS DO YOUR RESEARCH AHEAD OF TIME AND SAVE A STITCH IN TIME.  

John Allen

On deck

Finished

While we are on the subject of improvements......your workspace is WAY too clean.  If my wife was to catch a look she would draw an obvious comparison to my space (with me on the negative side).  Please, throw some random tools / wood / clamps around for my sake (at least when taking pictures).

Humbly, Mark

Back to the hammock nets John.

It might be a good Idea to have your batting in the nets to stop any mistakes, ie damage while building.

You can always remove later and replace with hammocks or nothing.

Cracking job by the way.

Frank  :piratebo5:

Frank,

Your right have hung up numerous times its like a briar patch.

Thanks John

John Allen

On deck

Finished

Mark,

What you see is what I have,about as basic as you can get. Almost forgot I have 3 cans of different diameter and sterno for bending wood.

I'll throw them up there to back you up. :10_1_10:

John Allen

On deck

Finished

• 2 weeks later...

To cut or not to cut.

I thought loooong and hard about everyone's advice on ratline knots. Have 2 mast shrouds and ratlines smooth clean ends and 1 with nubs, or cut away all shrouds on the foremast and redo so all is the same.

Grant hinted it can be an OK build live with it or redo and have a  great build. Mark asked if I counted the knots I'm glad I didn't you see a grown man cry.

I grabbed the scissors today and cut it all out. looks like bar shot got it. I think I made the right decision even though it will be a lot more work.

Need to fortify myself now for whats ahead.   :cheers:

post-2805-0-33091900-1453142176_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-41726700-1453142190_thumb.jpg

John Allen

On deck

Finished

Good decision John! You won't regret it.................once the re-do is completed that is! ;)

I think so.

Your advice was right.

Thanks

John

John Allen

On deck

Finished

• 1 month later...

post-2805-0-54738100-1457630438_thumb.jpgWell I thought I better show some pics before everybody thought I had surrendered and given up the ship after cutting out all shrouds and ratlines.

I'm satisfied with the outcome and now can continue with upper shrouds futtocks and ratlines. :)

Had some repairs to complete I knocked off the bowsprit and dolphin striker and several gun ports, on one of the gun ports when using the nailer I caved in two inches of planking. This is the second time this has happened and I swore after the first I would throw it away and drill. After this second time I deep sixed it and donated to Davey Jones Locker.  :angry:

Now all is  well and I am a happy camper :dancetl6:

post-2805-0-87242100-1457630463_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-34504200-1457630486_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-10208800-1457630500_thumb.jpg

John Allen

On deck

Finished