H.M.S. Triton (Cross Section) by ollagynot - FINISHED - 1:48

Good start! I might be mistaken, but hope that "cleanup sanding" is not to remove the paper? Scraping is much faster, and will keep the surface straight, while sandpaper will round it and smoothen the edges . If you are not using it on a flat surface, though.

Edited by Mike Y

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished the last of the frames today, now all nine of them are done!  Moving on to cleaning up the notches for the keel and keelson.

I am very happy with how they turned out.  Most of the joints are pretty tight, only two or three that have a small gap.  I am also happy with the wood choice (maple), the frames are surprisingly strong.

I will also be looking for jig ideas in the other build logs before I begin assembling everything.

Tony

post-6284-0-40491500-1444182321_thumb.jpg

post-6284-0-18618100-1444182323_thumb.jpg

post-6284-0-12401100-1444182375_thumb.jpg

post-6284-0-67049100-1444182376_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have completed assembly and dry fit the keelson, a little fairing to be done. I am also looking into some different wood for the planking.

I do not see pillars in the cross section plans, but I see pillars of varying numbers on other builds?  I am curious where other builders got their ideas.  Any additional info on the pillars, spacing/design would be appreciated.  I would like to mill holes for them before installing the keelson.

Thanks,

Tony

post-6284-0-46643700-1445215602_thumb.jpg

post-6284-0-11208800-1445215604_thumb.jpg

Hey Tony,

I'm glad that you've been busy with this little beauty. I've enjoyed working on this cross section and I hope that you'll enjoy it too. Attached you will see one of the Triton drawings which you'll be able to find on the full build section of downloads. Take your time and review everything before choosing what you want to do on your build. I look forward to seeing more progress on your build, Ray.

MidshipCrossSection@48-1.pdf

Edited by ziled68

Hey Tony,

No worries Buddy. The download area of the Triton can be intimidating at first and some items can be overlooked. Hang in there and keep modeling away. You're doing a great job, Ray.

• 2 weeks later...

The outboard planking is now complete from the wales down, and the inboard planking is complete from the lower deck clamps down.  I have chosen to leak a portion un-planked to expose the frames.  Next I will be the treenails.  I had cut the lower deck beams some time ago, I have them just "dry fit" in their spot in that last photo.  Thanks for all the likes so far! 

Tony

post-6284-0-72319900-1446949757_thumb.jpg

post-6284-0-34197600-1446949759_thumb.jpg

post-6284-0-74955300-1446949760_thumb.jpg

post-6284-0-22947800-1446949762_thumb.jpg

You are coming along fine Tony.  Using Maple for your frames was a smart move.  A bit of advice for your next model. When gluing futocks together they were connected with a shaped piece called a chock.  This adds more strength to the joint.  You are doing a great job.

David B

Finished treenails on the interior. I like the bamboo in the maple but the bamboo did not show up like I wanted in the walnut so I chose to fill the holes with dark walnut putty instead and am very pleased with the turnout.  I went over the inside with some wipe on poly.

I also made and installed the limber boards. I chose to make them out of cherry, I wanted them to stand out from the other wood on the interior.

Thanks,

Tony

post-6284-0-71448800-1447533662_thumb.jpg

post-6284-0-61617800-1447533664_thumb.jpg

Small update,

I have been busy at work and have not had much time to work on the project this week. I did complete the treenails on the hull planking. A few coats of wipe on poly and I am happy with the results.  I also managed to finish cutting some more carlings for the lower deck.

I have also decided to add a hatch to the lower deck which is not in the cross section plans, there is a square hole that looks like a perfect spot for one. I have an X on it in the picture below. Upon looking at the plans in the full build downloads (TritonInboardWorks@48-1.pdf), it looks like there is a hatch at this location, but I could be wrong.

Thanks,

Tony

post-6284-0-11875700-1447988026_thumb.jpg

post-6284-0-39054700-1447988029_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have completed most of the lower deck and installed it last night.  Next I will be working on making the hanging knees and the hatchway / grating.

I have also milled all the planking for the lower deck using maple.  I will be looking for some ideas on deck caulking, I would like to try black or dark brown construction paper but am open to suggestions. 

Thanks for all the likes and comments so far,

Tony

post-6284-0-93784900-1449451911_thumb.jpg

post-6284-0-63550700-1449451935_thumb.jpg

post-6284-0-73745400-1449451964_thumb.jpg

Tony,

Caulking is really a question you'll have to answer.  Do some test planks using scrap (and off ship) and see what you like best. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Tony,

I think construction paper may be too thick for the scale. You could try a piece of folded copy paper. It may look better. Certainly Mark's suggestion is the best way to test tho

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

I made about 10 or 12 small 'test' decking sections for my AVS, and tried various methods of both caulking, and treenails, and selected the ones that I like the most (after sanding and adding the finish - wipe-on Poly in my case).

I tried using black tissue paper as found in this excellent post by Nigel Brooks - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/7445-plank-caulking-using-tissue-paper-tutorial-by-nigel-brook/

At the end of the testing, even under close inspection, I felt like I couldn't see any real advantage to using the tissue paper caulk vs. just using a #3B pencil on the edges of the planking, and the pencil method is so very much easier!  I imagine that depending on the scale and type of wood used, etc., the paper system could be a stand out winner in some scenarios.