Can anyone recommend a miniature hand plane?

Lee Valley is a good tip for quality planes. However, I find a well-honed chisel, used bevel down, easier to use than a plane. It is especially useful where a mast or spar goes from round to octagonal or square. You can 'get into the corner' nicely with a chisel.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I have some luthier's (stringed instrument makers) finger-planes that are awesome to use! Small I bought them at a second-hand store but I'm sure they are available on the internet. I have 3 different ones, each with a differently curved, or straight blade.

From about as far from the ocean as you can get in North America!

Stanley has this inexpensive plane I've always been happy with for small work....

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=PLANES&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=12-101&SDesc=Small+Trimming+Plane

I've used it for such as turning 1/16" diam. round sticks into square stock.

Brian

"Give you joy!"

Current Build: RATTLESNAKE 1:64 POB (Mamoli)

Kits on hand: "Lexington", Mamoli: "Robert E. Lee", Scientific

Scratch to do: "Fannie Dugan", 1870s Sidewheeler Steamboat

Thank you to everyone who has replied to this post.

You have all given me some great ideas and also fantastic links to sites I never knew existed.

I have checked them all out and my credit card is in my hand and getting ready to have a hammering…oh happy days!!!!!!

Hi Bettina,

I hate to "muddy the waters" if you've already made your choice, but I absolutely love my Lie Nielsen model maker's plane:

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1307

I also have the convex sole version.  They are a tad expensive, but the quality is fantastic!

Cheers,

Robert

Current Build: HMS Mars

Bettina

I have to agree with Robert on this one, I use a Lie-Neilsen 102 low angle block plane and can highly recommend them, they are very high quality. They can be bought in the UK, try the Axminster's website they stock them, be warned they are not cheap, the current price of the 102 block plane is about £100-£110. The tagline used by Lie-Neilsen is that they are 'Makers of Heirloom Quality Tools' and they aren't kidding.

Dave

Currently building CC HMS Victory (6 years and counting)

Future Builds: Victory models 1/64th HMS Victory, Commerce De Marseille (Scratchbuild)and my Japanese Model Rail layout

Hi Bettina,

I hate to "muddy the waters" if you've already made your choice, but I absolutely love my Lie Nielsen model maker's plane:

I also have the convex sole version.  They are a tad expensive, but the quality is fantastic!

Cheers,

Robert

Dear Robert

They look beautiful. Which one(s) in particular would you recommend for mast and spars? Best wishes, Bettina

Bettina

I have to agree with Robert on this one, I use a Lie-Neilsen 102 low angle block plane and can highly recommend them, they are very high quality. They can be bought in the UK, try the Axminster's website they stock them, be warned they are not cheap, the current price of the 102 block plane is about £100-£110. The tagline used by Lie-Neilsen is that they are 'Makers of Heirloom Quality Tools' and they aren't kidding.

Dave

Dear Dave, yes I can see that they look superb. Again, may I ask you what you, which one(s) would recommend? Best wishes, Bettina

Bettina

I personally use a bronze No.102 low angle block plane, it's solid, fits in the hand well and is a pleasure to use, it certainly makes the task of tapering masts a lot easier.

Dave

Currently building CC HMS Victory (6 years and counting)

Future Builds: Victory models 1/64th HMS Victory, Commerce De Marseille (Scratchbuild)and my Japanese Model Rail layout

Bettina

I personally use a bronze No.102 low angle block plane, it's solid, fits in the hand well and is a pleasure to use, it certainly makes the task of tapering masts a lot easier.

Dave

Thank you Dave, they are currently out of stock but I will definitely get one of these. Thanks for all your help

I use both of these Bettina:

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1313

And Dave is spot on, they really are "heirloom quality".  The blades are thick, heavy steel, that is finely machined.  They can be dialed down to very fine, smooth and accurate shavings as needed.

Cheers,

Robert

Edited by j21896

Current Build: HMS Mars

I use both of these Bettina:

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1313

And Dave is spot on, they really are "heirloom quality".  The blades are thick, heavy steel, that is finely machined.  They can be dialed down to very fine, smooth and accurate shavings as needed.

Cheers,

Robert

Dear Robert, Thank you once again. Brilliant stuff!, Best wishes, Bettina

I have the L-N 100 as well.  It is razor sharp when you get it and stays sharp longer.  This little plane is the best buy for the money I have found yet.

David B

I have the L-N 100 as well.  It is razor sharp when you get it and stays sharp longer.  This little plane is the best buy for the money I have found yet.

David B

Dear David, Thank you for the alternate model, will look at this as well, Best wishes, Bettina

I'm also using Lie Nielsen planes : No 100 for shipmodelling and No 60 1/2 & No 4 for woodworking.

They are all top quality tools.

There is also a new smaller plane suitable for model making the L.N. No 101

(http://www.classichandtools.com/acatalog/Block_Planes.html)

Kostas

Dear Kostas, thank you for the advice on the alternate models and also posting the link as I am always grateful to find other sites for tools, Best wishes, Bettina

• 2 weeks later...

Bettina

here in U-K Axminstrer tools have just brought out the VERITAS miniature low angle BLOCK PLANE.

A lovely tool to use it is 60mm long by 19mm wide not a toy, at £39.95(on offer) code no 504079,

it"s great to use.

JANET.

I use this plane also Janet; it's been great to use! 

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 1 year later...

hi bettina

try a lee nielson modelmakers plane.i got mine from axminster power tools.a bit pricey but well worth the expense.qaulity tool.failing that veritas have recently launched a range of miniature planes very similar to luthiers planes  complete with detachable ball shaped handles designed to fit the palm of the hand.again from above supplier.hope this helps .

regards...........mick

And please don't overlook making your own plane. You can make it any size you wish, any shape you wish, and out of any materials you wish.

Alex

Alex have you made any yourself and do you have pictures?

I use Veritas low angle block planes, available also at Lee Valley, and also Druxey's comment about using the chisel is a good one.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I don't know why you're never going to be allowed to have a lathe at home Bettina but if you're going to spend nearly £100 on a small plane you shouldn't discount the Proxxon DB 250 lathe. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Proxxon-Micromot-MICRO-Woodturning-Lathe/dp/B000PJ6W4O/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1399830989&sr=1-1&keywords=proxxon+db+250

It's not very big and I simply keep the hoover hose close by when I'm using it. 

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick follow up for to all you kind folk who took the time in recommending a hand plane. I did buy the Lie Nielson No 100 and it is probably the best tool I have ever bought, worth every penny. Thanks to all

What a fine example of seeking and acting on advice Bettina.

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

• 1 month later...

I have these two and they are excellent

Those Ibex are great.   Nice shape too....   heres a source.

For anyone reading this since Bettina has already made a choice, the Veritas line of planes offered at Lee Valley are very good, heirloom quality tools as well.  They have a very nice mini-plane and spoke shave set that is a little less expensive than the Lie-Nielsen.