Echo cross-section by dvm27 - Finished

Our Echo cross-section is now complete. I have modeled her with the port side in frame and the starboard side completely fitted out. Finish is dilute sanding sealer. She is made of boxwood and holly. Dyed holly is used for the black portions. Conveniently, Admiralty Models sells both a framing package and a fitting out package so that you may choose your own style of display. The new fitting out package, milled by MSW vendor Crown Timberyard, includes sufficient boxwood and holly to finish the entire hull with plenty of extra for redo's. The price will be $275, postage additional. if you would like to reserve an Echo fitting out timbering package please send an email to me at dvm27@comcast.net.

post-505-0-77340000-1444186195_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-63867800-1444243556_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-20778900-1444243557_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-58859400-1444243557_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-11575000-1444243558_thumb.jpg

Edited by dvm27

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Greg,

Congratulations.

Very nicely done :)

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Beautiful Greg.  I cannot find a cross section plan for the aft end of the model.  Do you have one?

Maury

Sweet, Greg. But why only one rum barrel? Seriously, though, your model is terrific.

Why, that's silly Druxey. My ship only carries one crew member (the Lieutenant). At the Admiralty prescribed ration of 1/2 gallon of rum/day in home waters I felt the one barrel was plenty. Plus, I had it left over from another build (the real reason it's there).

Beautiful Greg.  I cannot find a cross section plan for the aft end of the model.  Do you have one?

Maury

The cross-section was sliced from the Echo sheer plan from Admiralty Models. The same could be done for the aft section.

Thanks for the kind words Richard, Alan, Grant and Duff! By the way, the crew member is not part of the timbering package!

post-505-0-35420600-1444243226_thumb.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

A beautiful rendition.  Congratulations.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Great work Greg. It makes me all the more impatient to start work on the cross-section of my Vulture.

I have to finish my current two projects first though :D .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Greg,

Does the $275 price for the fitting out package also include the framing package?  Or is the $275 in addition to the $195 needed for the framing package?  Is the lumber for this basic sheet stock with the dimensional strips to be milled by the modeler?  Or does the lumber in these packages include the milled dimensional strips?

I'm trying to figure out what to do for my second build.  It's either something like this, or Chuck's Cheerful.

Thanks!

Erik

Semi-offtopic: am I banned in Google, or there are really no build logs for the fully framed Echo model (not cross section) based on Admirality Models plans?

Lines of the cross section look interesting, was curious how does the full model looks like :)

Semi-offtopic: am I banned in Google, or there are really no build logs for the fully framed Echo model (not cross section) based on Admirality Models plans?

Lines of the cross section look interesting, was curious how does the full model looks like :)

While we have sold many Echo plans I have not seen a finished model yet. I suspect the complete resource material available for our Swan set of plans makes this the more popular project. But Echo, with it's French influence, does have beautiful lines and would make a lovely model.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Greg,

Does the $275 price for the fitting out package also include the framing package?  Or is the $275 in addition to the $195 needed for the framing package?  Is the lumber for this basic sheet stock with the dimensional strips to be milled by the modeler?  Or does the lumber in these packages include the milled dimensional strips?

I'm trying to figure out what to do for my second build.  It's either something like this, or Chuck's Cheerful.

Thanks!

Erik

Greg,

I'm interested in knowing this as well. I'm itching to do a cross section and this one has been highly recommended to me from a thread I started in another place on this site

-Bill

Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over

The Echo cross-section consists of two parts. The first is the historicallly correct framing of a sixth rate ship. For many builders this is the end goal, and the cost of the timbering package is $195, plus postage. Others have requested an additional package to completely fit out their cross section, so we prepared a second timbering package which is much more extensive in terms of milled wood. The cost of this fitting out package is $275.

From my point of view, it seemed a bit academic to complete an accurately framed hull and then cover it up so I have taken the approach represented above. The starboard side of the hull is fitted out while the port side remains in frame. I believe this makes an interesting presentation.

I have also also completed a Swan class cross-section http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/139-hmn-swan-class-sloop-pegasus-cross-section-by-greg-herbert/ which is fully fitted out port and starboard. It was simply framed using 1/4" plywood and the frame patterns sold by Admiralty Models. If you already have Swan plans and David's books you can lift any section of the ship and model it.

So many choices!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Haven't seen or heard of anyone building a full-hull framed Echo yet, Mike. Will you be the first?

Sure, but it will be like 3-5 years until I will finish the current model :)

Very nice Greg, and I really like how it is attached directly attached to the base a real different approach(at least to me)

Beautiful work as always, Greg.  Now you can finish Speedwell.  B)

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Greg, the figure really sets off the scale perfectly.  Where did you find old naval figures at 1:48 or did you carve him yourself?

Maury

Very nice Greg, and I really like how it is attached directly attached to the base a real different approach(at least to me bolts through the keel and riding  wood

Drilling and tapping the keel and rising wood for 4-40 (or smaller, depending on the scale) threaded bolts gives a very secure way of mounting the ship to the building bord. It also allows many options for the final display.

Greg, the figure really sets off the scale perfectly.  Where did you find old naval figures at 1:48 or did you carve him yourself?

Maury

Those figures are done for me by Joe of Dynamic Dioramas http://www.dynamicdioramas.org/modelindex.html. His work is fabulous. Check it out!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats Greg,

lovely cross section, lieutenant and gun round off the picture ;) ​very well.

Looking foreward now to more of your "Speedwell" naval cutter...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 1 month later...

Hello Greg:

Will the Echo fitting out package come with a CD that includes the various updates that have been posted here and previously on the Admiralty website? That is, will it come with instructions and/or a log similar to the framing package?

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

The Echo fitting out package comes with a complete booklet of instructions  that may be downloaded in PDF format. No photos, but plenty of illustrations.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks for the clarification Greg!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 4 weeks later...