Hi all:

I'm not sure if this question is addressed elsewhere, so sorry if it's a repeat (I searched under a few things but came up empty....)

Do the first two volumes in the Fully Framed Model series contain plans? Or are there only drawings and photos scattered through the book - I'm assuming no plans (given their availability through Admiralty models and the (former) NMM, but though I'd ask - it has been noted elsewhere, and I'll repeat it (meaning no offence) that it would be nice to see some information on the contents of Vols. 1 and 2 on the Seawatch website....for the interested but not committed buyer....

Thanks

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Afaik from the reviews (in german) that i have read there are no plans in the Swan series (http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/t186f346-David-Antscherl-The-Fully-Framed-Model-HMN-Swan-Class-Sloops-Volume-I.html). As good as the books are supposed to be, this is one of the reasons why i probably won't buy them anytime soon since 100€ (including shipment) for a single book is a bit steep imo.

Do the first two volumes in the Fully Framed Model series contain plans? Or are there only drawings and photos scattered through the book - I'm assuming no plans (given their availability through Admiralty models and the (former) NMM, but though I'd ask - it has been noted elsewhere, and I'll repeat it (meaning no offence) that it would be nice to see some information on the contents of Vols. 1 and 2 on the Seawatch website....for the interested but not committed buyer....

The first two volumes of TFFM are a complete treatise on building a Swan class model. They are a step-by-step guide. They do not include the plans, which may be purchased from Admiralty Models. Volume Three is an photo companion to the first two books. Volume Four is the masting and rigging guide and it does complete masting and rigging illustrations for a Swan class model (or other sixth rate).

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

The first two volumes of TFFM are a complete treatise on building a Swan class model. They are a step-by-step guide. They do not include the plans, which may be purchased from Admiralty Models. 

Greg,

Can you give an approximate cost for the plans?  I'm nowhere near ready to get into building something like this, but I'm curious as to the costs involved, and since there are no prices on your web-site for the plans, I'm wondering what they are.  I don't want to email the link and initiate any sort of actual transaction, just looking for a general idea - i.e. $25 per sheet or whatever they might be as an approximate.

Thanks,

Thanks a lot Greg - I've actually already ordered Volume 1, which I'm very excited to read. Like Brian, this kind of project is some way off for me, but I'm happy to invest the money in bits and pieces here and there as I work up my courage - looking forward to reading through the first volume!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Greg,

Can you give an approximate cost for the plans?  I'm nowhere near ready to get into building something like this, but I'm curious as to the costs involved, and since there are no prices on your web-site for the plans, I'm wondering what they are.  I don't want to email the link and initiate any sort of actual transaction, just looking for a general idea - i.e. $25 per sheet or whatever they might be as an approximate.

Thanks,

Prices are indeed on the website "ordering" page http://www.admiraltymodels.com/Ordering.html

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Prices are indeed on the website "ordering" page http://www.admiraltymodels.com/Ordering.html

Ah..  You should consider changing your 'Plans' page then ( http://www.admiraltymodels.com/Plans.html) as it currently says:

To order, e-mail the relevant plans list (with J references) with vessel name/date to the Picture Library: pictures@rmg.co.uk 

They will explain the ordering process for plans, costs, payment methods and other details.

So after reading that, I never even looked at your "ordering" page, which is certainly my bad, but the stuff on your 'plans' page made me think that was how I would have to do it!

Thanks,

Just another example that would be nice to have table of contents and few pages as a preview. I was buying TFFM completely blindly, the book description is extremely vague. I only knew that "since everybody has such a good feedback - the book is good, whatever is there".

But it should definitely increase sales if there would be a better description and some teasers available!

Same for plans. I trust that Greg and David made the best, top notch plans. I can assume they will allow me to build a whole model. But it is just assumption based on reputation.

But I wonder how many potential buyers turned away, because they are unsure what they will get when buying plans?

Ok, probably not that many - if you seriously consider building fully framed model and need plans - you can mail Greg and ask for details :)

Edited by Mike Y

Don't confuse the Plans in the ordering section of Admiralty models with a complete set of plans for the ship one wishes to model.  The Plans include a Mylar sheet which represents a generic Swan class sloop as well as a CD of the lofted frames.  In order to model a specific ship, one needs to order the relevant plans from the Royal Museum.  There are minor differences among all of the ships.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

As Toni has said, the 'generic' set of plans and CD from Admiralty Models has all the information for building a properly framed 'Swan' class hull.

If you wish to build a complete model of a specific ship, you will need additional plans. These are copies of the original draughts, often showing complete details of carved works, that are held by Royal Museums Greenwich, formerly called the National Maritime Museum. The plans you will need are

Sheer and profile

Forecastle, quarter deck and upper deck

If fully detailing below: Lower deck and platforms

(Optional is the Disposition of frame plan)

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi,

I am not sure if this was mentioned. 

I just ordered the Admiralty plans and CD's, There are actually two sets for the Swan on their order page. The first, for $150 covers the build and framing (the first three books in the series).  The second set ($50) is for rigging and masting (I believe for the fourth book in the series..

Then, in addition, the ship specific plans for the version you choose should be ordered from the royal maritime museum.

I did have questions about what will be missing from a build attempted without using the plans.  Just curious.

I had questioned the cost for the total package but Gregg or David suggested I figure the cost out given the number of hours... years required.  Not so much when you think of it that way.

Thanks Druxey, I stared the post this morning, then decided to edit it but was called away while the edit was in progress.  When I posted it the screen refreshed and I saw your answer.

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren