Lightning Sailboat by Andrew J. - Dumas - Scale 1:12

I completely agree with you about leaving the sails off. I like your idea of using the thicker line to represent the sail outline. I think I just might have to borrow that.

When I build my #1 replica, I will attempt to replicate the sail, but will probably drape it over the boom, similar to how it is displayed at the Historical Society, although there it's draped over the mast, which is hanging above the boat.

Right now, I'm searching for a source for 1:12 turnbuckles for the mast stays.

sailboat 392, you can easily modify the Turnbuckles that Andrew has used by filing away some of the body on each side like this

post-202-0-47975100-1447193082_thumb.jpg

I could not find the ones I originally had so this is a quick fake. but I have done this to the same ones that Andrew showed.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

sailboat 392, you can easily modify the Turnbuckles that Andrew has used by filing away some of the body on each side like this

attachicon.gifIMG_7361x800.jpg

I could not find the ones I originally had so this is a quick fake. but I have done this to the same ones that Andrew showed.

Michael

Brilliant! Thanks for the tip!

That looks great Andrew, and here is a further quick fake with some 1/16 copper tube and some 1/32 brass rod alongside the first one, unless the turnbuckles need to actually work this method would work well.

post-202-0-04338300-1447196194_thumb.jpg

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Excellent Andrew that looks fantastic.

Michael

Good thing I have twice as many as I need...sorry sailboat392, even if you change your mind, I no longer have enough extra to give you complete set. In attempting to file the second one down more efficiently, I completely messed it up. The first try was the way to go.

Nicely done Andrew, they look great and thanks Michael for the demonstration 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Andrew, 

Your lightning is coming along really well!  The head stay fitting looks great! 

Love the photos of Lightning #1!  Do post more photos!   

I have those same turnbuckles for my Corel Dragon.  They're a bit oversized and was planning on modifying them the same as Michael and you showed.  I don't have any extras, so I better get it right! 

I found an article on the ILCA website about Lightning #1.  Interesting stuff, including info about the skeg!  Here's the link:  http://lightningclass.org/resources/historyLightning/numberOne.asp

Previously you asked:  "Do you have this good a memory for everything, or did you just really cherish that Lightning?"  I remember a lot of details about our Lightning:  The lifting lugs, self bailer, hiking straps, tiller extension, location of the hull number, boom vang hardware (bicycle chain), rigging hardware, motor well and more.  But, I don't remember the hull number nor the hull color below the water line. :rolleyes:      

392, love your build!  Would love to see more photos of your build - Can you start a build log?  Even if it's just photos, that would be great! 

Dee Dee     

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Thank you for your input, Dee_Dee, your memories are most valuable. Thanks for the link, also. I had skimmed through that article before, but only just now read the whole thing. Interesting stuff. That explains why an award plaque at the Club with a half hull model of #1 on it is shown in red and blue. Whoever made that one, however, apparently didn't know that #1's serial number goes above the lightning logo on the sail instead of below.

Since several of you have asked for more pictures of #1, I'll post some more now. I don't know exactly what all the fittings are called yet, but I will do my best to replicate them when the time comes.

post-16286-0-07782200-1447297607_thumb.jpg

post-16286-0-10724600-1447297650_thumb.jpg

post-16286-0-44484600-1447297694_thumb.jpg

post-16286-0-67954800-1447297735_thumb.jpg

post-16286-0-16552000-1447297784_thumb.jpg

post-16286-0-57898500-1447297824_thumb.jpg

post-16286-0-20922100-1447297873_thumb.jpg

post-16286-0-16656800-1447297925_thumb.jpg

post-16286-0-86435300-1447297964_thumb.jpg

post-16286-0-57580800-1447298012_thumb.jpg

Andrew thanks for the reference pics they are great.

Michael

It seems you already know your way around model ships, but it sounds to me like you're going about searching for parts the wrong way. Even though this is all new to me, I've found that you can get just about any fitting you're looking for; you just can't expect everything to be labled in the scale you need them in. That's why I took all the measurements that I could myself. Then I could just divide everything by 12 and find the closest size model fitting. I apologize for the lecture if you already knew all that, but that's how I went about finding stuff. I just wasn't able to get all the parts I need from one source.

Yeah, blocks are tricky. I'm still looking around for those myself. I had ordered some single blocks from Cornwall Model Boats, but only found out when I received the rest of my order that they were out of stock. I had to google what a halyard lead block looks like, and from the looks of it, I haven't seen anything like them in any kind of scale either. I would have no problem with belaying pins, though. All you need are toothpicks or kebab skewers and a sharp knife.

Those are sharp! I thought you meant that you were looking for belaying pins online.

I know a couple people have suggested you start your own build log. I for one would greatly enjoy it if you did. Not that I have any problem with anybody posting their own pictures in my log, but I would really like to see more of yours. Do you have any from earlier in your build?

Gentlemen

Have you tried Precision Scale Model Engineering for blocks and turnbuckles. I suggest giving them a call to see if they have what you need. They are easy to deal with and have a lot of modeling parts in various scales.

PRECISION SCALE MODEL ENGINEERING

33 HARDING STREET

MILFORD,MA 01757-2215

PHONE: 508 478-3148

FAX: 508 478-3590

E-mail psme@psmescale.com

Web: www.psmescale.com

Good luck!

Bill

• 1 year later...