Lightning Sailboat by Andrew J. - Dumas - Scale 1:12

As a new member, I am thrilled and inspired to find this thread. Just starting my Lightning build. One question  at this time regarding your photos of hull #1. Just in front of the belaying pins on the deck, there appear to be three mahogany wedges of some sort. Do you know what their purpose was? Thanks again for sharing the steps you took and including such detailed photos. Patrick

Patrick,

Welcome to MSW. 

The mast on the lightning is approx 2" x 3".  The deck opening for the mast is approx 2" x 4"-5".  These blocks are used to set the proper rake or angle of the mast. 

The mast shoe, below the deck, built into the keel, is also about the same size and requires the use of these wedges / blocks to set the rake. 

These blocks have changed over time.  We owned a Lightning, with a four digit hull number that was built in the 1950's.  The blocks used to set the mast rake evolved to "T" shaped blocks and were about 1/2" thick.  There were 6-7 "T's" each on the deck and keel.    

post-16286-0-57580800-1447298012_thumb.jpg

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Dee is correct. The two blocks furthest go forward and aft of the mast. Seen in the hole for the mast are the loose blocks for the sides. I'm not sure what the closest T-block is for. I had the pleasure of sail on #1 during the "Ryan Years" while owning #392 built 2 years later. Because #1 was the prototype, there are some differences not found on later boats. Specifically and as seen in the photo are the four belay pins and the wench. The wench was deleted from this position and moved to the back of the center board trunk, facing aft, I assume for the main sheet. My boat had witness holes indicating it was once there and a 1958 Skinny Lightning I know had the wench still there. My boat only had belays for the main and jib halyards. I have seen a third used to tie off the spinnaker. I'm at a loss for what the fourth was for, perhaps the spinnaker pole up haul. I also think the bronze support seen at the front of the combing was only on #1.  

I can't believe it's been so long since I posted or commented anything on here. I must admit the Dumas kit just wasn't cutting it for me as far as accuracy goes, so it fell by the wayside some time ago. However, I started a new scratchbuilt 1:12 back in September and got the hull just about finished, although I haven't worked on it in a few months, either. Seeing your finished model is a great inspiration, though, sailboat392!! It's absolutely gorgeous :D  I'm hoping some time soon I will regain my drive to finish mine. I have to ask, is there any chance you made templates of your seats? They look absolutely spot on, so if you have any sort of pattern for them that you would be willing to share, that would really be fantastic!

Andrew

I can't wait to see your scratch-build hull. As I may have said, I used the Dumas kit just for the hull, cutting away openings in the solid bulkheads to open to the fore and aft belowdecks. The rest of the wood in the kit was used a stock and the Dumas people were happy to provide (at no cost) additional wood that was needed. For the side seats, I used the solid seat material provided in the kit and exacto-knife cut it to four planks, sanded to 2 1/2" wide. The rear seat just matched what was in #392. So, sorry, no templates. I put the boat away for months at a time to lets my internal juices build up for additional attacked at the project, so just hang in there.....keep a simple boat project going off to the side...that seems to help.

• 3 years later...

I'm looking for advice on this Dumas Lightning model. I'm considering purchasing it for my nephew. He's only six but he's built pinewood derby-style models with his dad. Is this an appropriate step up? I'm especially concerned about the mahogany planking. Is it pre-cut to fit the frame? Does it require steam bending? Should I buy him clamps? Of what sort?

Thanks,

James

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2020 at 1:12 PM, BigRed54321 said:

I'm looking for advice on this Dumas Lightning model. I'm considering purchasing it for my nephew. He's only six but he's built pinewood derby-style models with his dad. Is this an appropriate step up? I'm especially concerned about the mahogany planking. Is it pre-cut to fit the frame? Does it require steam bending? Should I buy him clamps? Of what sort?

Thanks,

James

I wouldn't think so, unless his dad was doing most of the work.  Check out Blue Jacket Shipbuilders, they have some great entry level kits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't believe it's been 4 years since I last visited this thread. I'm amazed to see there's still some interest in it. I do apologize if I've let you down, those who had been following. I guess I just lost my mojo after I finished the bottom side of my scratch built hull and wasn't quite sure how to go about the next step. I do still hope to complete it some day, but rest assured, she's been kept safe these last few years and I still have all my supplies. I'm not sure what gave me the inspiration, but I got some things out of the closet today and was just in the mood to do some woodworking, so I took a whack at the rudder. I must say, I think it came out beautifully. I make no promises that I'll have any more updates any time in the near future, but I thought you all might like to know that she hasn't been entirely forgotten.

Rudder.jpeg

IMG_2555.jpeg

So here's another update much sooner than expected! I finally finished installing the deck beams. I thought it made sense to just install all of the deck beams at full width to make it as strong as possible for fairing the deck framing, and then cut out the cockpit afterwards. Does that seem reasonable to everybody? Even though I have the "How to Build a Lightning" book, I'm still kind of winging it a fair amount because not all the steps for a full size build necessarily translate down to a scale model. So hopefully this will all work out in the end. Fairing down the deck framing is going to take some doing. I think I'm going to have to use a dremel with cut off wheel to cut most of the excess down from the side frames before I can begin sanding, so we'll see when I'll be able to get around to doing that.

IMG_2556.jpeg

https://www.micromark.com/Flat-Head-Screw-Package-of-25

These are the screws I'm planning on getting to attach the chain plates; the 00-90x1/8 or maybe 1/4 I think should do it. Not completely to scale, but the smallest I've been able to find anywhere. Does anybody know of anything smaller?

I imagine these would also be suitable for securing the various deck fittings?

Edited by Andrew J.

Looking great! I’d love to build one of these for my mom (she used to sail them). I’ll have to give your build a few re-reads and see if I can take it on eventually 🙂

When the topic of small screws/nuts come up frequently model railroading sites are given. If I remember I’ll try to search through this site tomorrow and see if I can track down any specifics.

Edit: This thread might help - 

Edited by VTHokiEE

She finally has the front of her stem! I have no idea what happened to the front piece of the original stem, it may not have been worth saving. So I was able to carve a new one from 1/4” stock. It feels good to have a nice solid piece up front, rather than something laminated like I used for the rest of the stem. I guess I didn’t have a 1/4” piece on hand when I made it and didn’t feel like making a special trip to get one back then. But I did this time!

693EF818-E17A-4603-AE7C-3E57A217A9CA.jpeg

047C4E98-86C2-4C4E-B61D-88318816F26C.jpeg

I think the cockpit framing might have been one of the steps I was most apprehensive about and overthought too much back when I started building. I just wasn’t exactly sure what order some things should be done in, so I stopped working on it. Fast forward 4 years, with a fresh burst of motivation and some more research, and there we have it.

A7BD1110-12E6-45A9-9E03-0B3360694201.jpeg

670A593C-EDE7-4518-B965-EBE67559C7E0.jpeg

EF46D0D6-D876-4B3A-950B-6EBE119869D6.jpeg

5C0960F7-39EF-4CC3-BECC-2C630BF1E4B3.jpeg

117482DE-3A1D-4290-945B-F75F2665AB5F.jpeg

Just stumbled upon your thread here.

That planking is seriously good! Well done, mate!

As for the order of building, like you did with full width deck beams for rigidity is just the way. Frames and hulls can be delicate business and anything that makes them more rigid during building is a welcome addition.

Also the framing of the cockpit looks spot on.

Keep it up!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Thank you all so much for your encouragement as I've restarted this project! Now that it's officially underway again, I figured it was time to give it its own build log in the appropriate section of the forum. This log will of course be left as is, since there is so much excellent information and reference material here. So there is a link to this log in the first post of my new log, which can be found here:  

I hope all of you who have been following this log will continue to follow the new one. Thank you all again for your support!

• 2 years later...

Hello Andrew,

I have been reading through your posts and I would request a new topic with all your photos of Lightning #1.  I am going to be working on #529 and I would like to see the details of #1 to try to rebuild some missing parts.  I am looking for details on the deck fittings, the centreboard winch, and the mast rigging.  Your work on the model is very careful to follow the actual boat.  You are lucky to have access to a live Lightning.  Thanks for all your postings and you would be welcome to send them also to the Classic Lightning group to show us how the old Woodies were made.

Thanks, Pete Klaassen