USS Independence by Philthy - Artesania Latina

That CA glue is widely available as "Bob Smith Industries" brand.  I believe it's the defacto glue that is re-branded (by labeling) for hobby shops all over the world.

http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Smith-Insta-Cure-Super-Thin/dp/B001NI4JWI/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1446043256&sr=8-28&keywords=super+glue

Gunther you seem to be a Master Jedi Wizard when it comes to this stuff lol. I shouldn't need anymore thin CA glue for awhile but now I know another location to look for a deal. 

Semper Fi,

Phil :)

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"

General James Mattis USMC (ret.) 

Current Build:

US Independence by AL in 1/35

Completed: 

Bon Retour by AL (Second Build) 

Gunther you seem to be a Master Jedi Wizard when it comes to this stuff lol. I shouldn't need anymore thin CA glue for awhile but now I know another location to look for a deal. 

i keep thin, standard and gel type super glues around, i use standard and gel for my reef keeping and such. i love the gel, it doesnt move around and smear as easy. i stopped at home cheapo yesterday and picked up some clamps and wood glue, i hope to get the false deck glued but i am hesitant because of alignment 

Gunther is right... same stuff I get at my local hobby shop... but their name is on it.  I have several tube of it in vary viscosities.  Mostly it's getting old and hard as I don't use it much. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Phil,

Test fit the bowsprit into the ship now.  Notice on the stock bulwarks the 1/2 round notches that would receive it?  See if your new pieces line up well.  Much better to confirm this now, as later will be too late!!  ( A mistake I made on mine).  Also, the stock bulwarks have small rectangular holes in them, and they are meant to line up flush with the decking.  They are the drain holes (scuppers).  Your waterway idea might interfere with this, so plan around it!!  I don't think the scuppers are necessary, but maybe neither is the waterway, so it may come down to a choice between the two.

Having fun yet?

-John

-John

Member:  Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Hi John,

Good call with test fitting the bow sprit before moving along. I decided not to cut out the half circles on the scratch made bulwarks as seen on the original ply wood pieces. I figured they wouldn't line up (nothing else has) and decided to wait until the bulwarks are set then cutting out the guid holes. As for the scuppers I also decided to wait since they were not lining up with the deck properly. I am still planning on doing both waterways and scuppers to add some details to a rather vanilla kit. I am currently installing the inner bulwarks and when this is set I can add the waterways and scuppers. This seems like a logical sequence the make things easier.

Semper Fi,

Current Build:

Completed: 

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome back sports fans! I haven't posted any updates in awhile because work has been crazy busy the past couple of weeks. During this time I finished up the inner bulwark. Im very pleased how this section turned out after a few days of scratching my head on how to go about this step. The funny thing about this step is I found an alternative source of scrap wood to use on the model. Coffee stirrers found at the coffee shop! 

I measured out the scale length of about 20 feet or under. Same length I am going to use for planks when it comes time to deck. So I glued and trim to fit my converted coffee stirrers, cut to shape with my exacto blade, then sanded down. Presto-change-o the inner bulwarks are set. 

post-21847-0-36507000-1447608347_thumb.jpg

post-21847-0-60634400-1447608353_thumb.jpg

post-21847-0-40713300-1447608358_thumb.jpg

Edited by Philthy

Semper Fi,

Current Build:

Completed: 

First off YIKES! I really need to clean up my work station. It just goes to show you how crazy the past week has been. I am starting the first layer of planking. After reading and rereading a bunch of different methods on planking I have decided to got with the "just wing it method". 

The first plank is bending to shape right now and as you can see by the photos I am going to have a interesting time getting all the planks to line up just right. I decided to let the first plank lay naturally since it seems like all the planking methods call for this. Hopefully this will prevent the planks from bunching up too much at the bow. 

post-21847-0-66698000-1447609264_thumb.jpg

post-21847-0-75620100-1447609682_thumb.jpg

Semper Fi,

Current Build:

Completed: 

• 8 months later...

I truly hope that works out for ya, Philthy. But, to my untrained eye, it seems that you are going to require one heck of a stealer on either side of the prow.

Maybe Marvin can show you a few shots from the bow angle of his build.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I don't know if he's abandoned this build or if life really got in the way.  His last login was the day of his last post.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 months later...