which model was the most enjoyable to build and why/which was the least enjoyable and why

jazzchip

I loved building the Panart Armed Launch. It is a large scale, 1:17. There is minimal painting to be done so the beauty of the wood is evident, but the finished model still looks realistic without the "craft" appearance of an all-wood model. The wood is very nice and the brass cannon and swivel guns are heavy and awesome! The hull is tripple-planked on a removable former. I first saw this in Period Ship Handbook 2 by Keith Julier and fell in love with the pictures. I've built 2 of these kits and would do more.

http://www.agesofsail.com/ecommerce/panart/ma748-mantua-panart-armed-launch-wood-ship-kit.html

From about as far from the ocean as you can get in North America!

I really enjoyed Model Shipways Chesapeake Skipjack "Willie L. Bennett". You build the model the same way the original boats were, the plans allow for all the interior detailing, deck beams, etc. The only deviation from the real thing is the use of ply sheet for the side planks although the plans show the planks and it would be easy to make your own. The plan sheet is very detailed and the instruction book is the best I have seen - it even includes drawings of the complicated steering gear if you have the skills and desire to scratch your own. When you are done with the kit you will have a Masters in Skipjack construction.

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

I am in the process of building Model Shipways SYREN and am finding it to be MUCH more enjoyable than recent builds of Benjamin W. Latham, Fair American, or Rattlesnake ( old solid hull kit).  I am taking my time and everything is going very smoothly.  I have just completed framing the gun ports and sweep ports (Chapter 3 of the practicum) with no problems thus far - no busted stanchions.  

I think it is because the kit is so well designed and the instruction manual and plans are so clear.  The 132 page color instruction manual is GREAT!  Plus I have all of those excellent build logs to glean information from.  The kit has some laser markings for key part alignments that are a real help.  Chuck Passaro deserves a lot of credit for his excellent work putting this kit together.  It is simply a pleasure to build.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

Artesania Latina's "HMS Supply" falls into BOTH categories. It started as by far the worst kit I've ever bought, and finished as one of the best because it sent me down the road of Scratchbuilding.

The hull itself was OK for the most part, but from there on I trashed EVERYTHING and scratchbuilt the rest. The supplied fittings were cheaply cast junk, the rigging plans were a joke .... the list goes on. The associated research needed was quite a lot of fun.

My overall best was my 2nd last one - HMS Vulture, scratchbuilt from "TFFM" books. The Longboat in the Bottle was a lot of fun, but I regarded it as a bit of a diversion :D .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I'm like Danny.. AL but my case it was the Constellation.    A nightmare for a lot of reasons, but it pushed me into scratchbuilding. But finished, I'm tickled with it. 

The only kit that didn't have a negative side for me was the Billing's Wasa.  I went into it open-minded and learned a lot since the written instructions were the pits. The plans were great and the photo/drawing instruction book was actually pretty good.

My current project has had it's up and downs but overall..  I'm still chuffed with it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Least enjoyable - Corel Victory. I didn't have the skills to take on this beast at the time. In addition instructions were awful. Took me 20 years off and on to complete.

Most enjoyable - current build Caldercraft 'Supply'. I have scratch built almost all of the fittings, learned how to use and airbrush and how to silver solder while working on her.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

My first kit years ago was A&L's America.  Bad instructions dried out wood that would crack if you tried to flex it.  My second one was the Harvey.  Same problems and it did not exist.  I did a better job on it but looking back knowing what I can do now it would be perfect for kit bashing which I am a big fan of.

David B

I just finished the Panart HMS Victory. The directions are so so, but since I have done a lot of scratch building in the past, it did not matter. A novice might get frustrated. It took me 3 1/2 months from start to finish (retired with plenty of time on hand). Overall the kit and materials supplied were excellent and would recommend it to any advanced builder.

Edited by hmsvictory

I'm like Danny.. AL but my case it was the Constellation.    A nightmare for a lot of reasons, but it pushed me into scratchbuilding. But finished, I'm tickled with it. 

I am really not qualified to comment on this as I am only nearing the end of my first wooden build; AL Constellation. My frustration is I can't see the point of spending a lot of money on a kit when you need to rebuild, modify parts, buying more parts because enough was not supplied and can't really follow the instructions.  Scratch builds suddenly are not so frightening and may end up less expensive and less frustrating (for the wrong reasons) at times.  I do like the way the build is coming out but I am considering my next investment to be a scratch build instead of a kit.  On the other hand all the kits cannot be bad... but how to choose?

Tom,

I understand that frustration...  It is frustrating to get moving along on a kit and find out that they shorted you on parts.   On my Constellation, when I got the kit, I opened the box, drooled.  took a deep breath and started inventorying.   The kit was advertised as having a display board and stanchions... nope.  Not there.  I got a hold of the people who sold it to my and they, in turn, contacted AL.  Got the stanchions but never got the display board.  Also found I was missing the walnut second planking strips.  AL did send a complete bundle of strips (not just the walnut).    Sloppy quality control, but good customer service.  This was some years ago so I don't know if contacting them on the missing bits would help. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Avoid European kits, as they are often historically inaccurate and the wooden parts often inferior.

This is a pretty inaccurate generalization.  There are many exceptionally nice kits coming out of Europe these days from manufacturers like Victory Models, Caldercraft, Dusek, MariStella, Master Korabel, and others.  To be sure, some of the older manufacturers did churn out historically inaccurate kits, and the materials could be a mixed bag, but the newer manufacturers are setting the bar ever higher.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane