Theoretical question about air brush compressors

I have read that small compressors have a problem with the air pulsing.

Would this be mitigated by having an air storage container in-line between the compressor and air brush?

Would an air tank used in automobiles to re-inflate  tires serve as an in-line container?

Would an empty propane grill tank work for this.   Until the residual propane is gone, it would be an outdoor only use I am guessing.

One possible problem:   It is possible for gasoline vapors to make a mixture with air at a concentration where the temp required to start oxidation ( explosion) is near ambient requiring no spark or flame (spontaneous combustion). 

This also happens  with grain dust and cotton lint.  

Is propane subject to this in pressure + air + available temp range?  I would guess an explosion in a 20 gal propane tank could produce an interesting result.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Hi Jaager, yes some of the small air brush diaphram compressors do pulsate and a larger tank should help this. They use to make an air tank kit for converting the grill tanks to an air tank, I had one and it worked good, any tank that's for pressure will work.....I've used car tires for mobile air on occasion, I use to custom paint cars and bikes. A good regulator moisture trap is a must for airbrushing when using a tank.If you have the bucks SilentAir makes a great compressor or Iwata's are good. If your going to paint all day a quiet comp. will make your life better but for hobby use just about any air supply will work, some use C02 tanks.

Hi Jaeger,

About 15 years ago I bought a PoterCable Pancake Air Compressor for use to power various finishing nailers and staplers while doing some home improvement.

I paid about $100 for it which is about where you can buy one today. It has integrated regulators which can be used at pressures 5-25 psi and more than you would likely use for airbrushing. The great thing is that for model painting I can use it for 3-4 days straight without the compressor kicking in. I don't use an in-line water trap which I probably should but my workshop is in a very dry basement and I've not had any problems with water in the line. Relative to the price of compressors designed for air brushing it' a steal. As far as I'm concerned compressed air is compressed air. Maybe I've just been lucky, but maybe this is a case where the "industrial tool" is a lot cheaper than the "specialty tool" for a lot less money.

Best,

John

post-18302-0-85988500-1445212156.jpg

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Use the air system recommended by the air brush manufacture, you won't go wrong with that. Yes, Pressure systems can be put together using tanks normally manufactured for other uses that could be used with little problem with the addition of, depending on intended use, relief valves, drain valves, dryers, filters and regulators. Your questions indicate that you may have just enough knowledge to be dangerous without the experience to judge what is good, how to, advice on line , no matter how well intended. The manufacture has a vested interest in not steering you wrong about the air supply for your air brush, may be more expensive up front, use their advice anyway, there is liability and insurance protection built into their recommendations no one else will provide.

jud

Edited by shiloh

I bought a diaphragm compressor with with a regulator along with a water trap and had few pulse problems.  It was designed for airbrushing.  Now I just have to find where they hid it.  But regular compressors are designed for machines and it is cheaper with the air tank.

David B

Spend the extra and buy a compressor designed for airbrushing. They are small, portable and best of all very, very quiet. If I tried using my regular compressor for airbrushing, the Admiral would probably have me walk the plank. I have a Sparmax (see link) it is a ripper.

http://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Sparmax-TC-610H-Airbrush-Compressor.html

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

I see what you guys are saying, but for 15 years I've used it for air brushing with no problems. I'm all for cheap where it works!

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

ive been using airbrushes for years, and ive honestly never had an issue with "pulsating". i can imagine that if your shading or doing some really delicate work it would be a factor, but in the years ive been build plastic scale models ive never had an issue. here is the kit i recived as a gift:  http://www.tcpglobal.com/ECOKIT-17.html#.Vii1udKrReh

the airbrush is OK, not like a badger or iwata, but the compressor is great. i recommend it.

I agree that compressed air is compressed air, no matter how it is made or how much the compressor cost. Everything involves compromise and you will have to give something up to get something else. Low cost, quiet operation, small size, useful for other things, smooth airflow... It's a personal preference balancing act.

I generally don't buy hobby equipment (except for my Preac table saw) because they are made for hobby-sized jobs and can't be used for much else. My drill-press is from Canadian tire and takes a #80 bit, my compressor can blow up a car tire or power an air-nailer, and it works marvelously with my airbrush.

Edited by HSM

From about as far from the ocean as you can get in North America!

Yes, they would. The compressed gas flows out smoothly, since there is no pulsing from the compressor piston.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Many people use tanks to supply their air brushes.  As long as you have the proper regulators to handle the pressure and deliver a steady (low enough) pressure to the air brush, and moisture traps if needed, they work just fine.

I've used a small air tank designed for carrying in a trunk to fill up car tires, filled from my large compressor as well.  With the low pressures that air brushes work at, the small tank can give an hour or more of air-brushing without any problem if filled to 130psi.

In the end though, I gave in to convenience and since I didn't want to install lines through the attic into my new hobby room from my garage, and since the compressor in the garage is noisy enough to be loud even inside the house, I chose to get a quiet hobby compressor with a tank to use in my hobby room.  I went with an Iwata, but there are many good working options available.

Crackers,  High pressure tanks filled with CO2 are what a lot of my friends use. Although the tank and regulator may cost,  CO2 is cheap, dry and silent.  A filling also lasts a long, long time.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray