HMS Blandford by hamilton - FINISHED - from Corel HMS Greyhound - 1:100

Hamilton,

Nice work. Like Mike I am taking a lot of inspiration away from this build for my own efforts.

I will have to stand over you with the "cat" because I want to see more, More,MORE...... :)  :)  :) :)  :)  

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Hi Hamilton

This is really coming together. It looks great! Good on you for pushing to make it right as "HMS Blandford" rather than the kit version. I'll keep following.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

She's coming along very nicely Hamilton, well done mate.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks for the comments all! Very much appreciated....Ian - unfortunately I'm allergic to cats!! And as for more - the sun has finally come out in the Pacific Northwest (a rare enough event) so I've been spending a lot of time getting some much needed yard work done. In the evenings I have barely enough energy left to lift a mug to my lips let alone fiddle around at 1:100 scale....but more progress should come soon...

In any case - thanks all for your thoughts! Despite the limitations of this kit, adapting it to the Blandford has been a real adventure so far....my first real kit bash, and a lot of fun. I think the next one's going to be something very simple and straightforward.....HA!!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Another brief update - not much modelling done recently, but I have managed to finish the forward hatches and the build the 3 ladders running from the main to the lower deck. Here are a couple of pics....

post-304-0-82744300-1373954108_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-08174000-1373954132_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-71289500-1373954156_thumb.jpg

On another note, I mentioned in an earlier post that I purchase some brass bare tree frames from a local model train store that I thought I might use for the decorative elements along the bulwarks forward & aft and on the transom. Here is a shot of the item I bought.

post-304-0-02188100-1373954185_thumb.jpg

And here is a bit of it dry fit onto the bulwarks aft....

post-304-0-71684400-1373954208_thumb.jpg

Be honest with me, people - I know this is not really historically accurate and I'm willing to live with that - but beyond that, do you think it works? It will be very painstaking and tedious to apply this stuff, and I would rather have something on the bulwarks than leave them bare - I don't think it will look awful, but I'm just not sure it's worth it to go through with it....Unfortunately I have no real back-up plan and if these don't go on, I'll simply leave the bulwarks undecorated......your thoughts will be much appreciated...thanks as always!

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Hamilton,

My thought is that to leave it plain is better than to decorate with unsuitable material... :)

On the sides of the original are there decorations?

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hi Hamilton

I'm with Ferit on this. Adding random decoration is going to be difficult and could end up looking just like really strange bling. Leave it plain or get realistic decorations by buying a Pegasus PE set (these are separately available from the kit but the scale is 1/64), or something similar. That way you get all the additions that are right for the era.

If that doesn't fit - budget or otherwise, I reckon, straight up, plain is better.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Yeah.... I think on this one I have to agree with the crowd... Nice idea but I feel it would end up having your ship look like it was covered with a hedge rather than the effect you're going for.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Well I guess the word is in....I agree....I was looking at the dry-fit piece again this morning and realising that I was really just "improvising" in a situation where it isn't appropriate. Thanks all for the intervention!!

hamilton

Yeah.... I think on this one I have to agree with the crowd... Nice idea but I feel it would end up having your ship look like it was covered with a hedge rather than the effect you're going for.

Andy

Weren't hedges ever in fashion as ship's decorations? Just dolphins and unicorns and cherubs and stags I guess...What about the mighty hedge!!!

hamilton

It's a shame Anton has not reappeared (username "perthshipyard"), he was building the HMS Diana and had taken the time to paint all the frieze work by hand. Very talented with a brush. You would have been able to pick up more than a few tips from him.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Weren't hedges ever in fashion as ship's decorations? Just dolphins and unicorns and cherubs and stags I guess...What about the mighty hedge!!!

hamilton

That's the mighty "larch" if I remember the song correctly.... :P  :P :P  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Andy:

It's these kinds of jobs that will probably permanently bar me from scratch building - carving and decorative finishing....I say "not my strengths", but I really should say that I don't even know where to start....anyway...at some point I'll have to just sit down with a knife and a stick and start practicing....

hamilton

That's the mighty "larch" if I remember the song correctly.... :P  :P :P  

Of course you're right - not to mention, the "stately elm" - neither of which will figure on the Blandford.....

hamilton

On the original which kind of decoration was there?

Via internet I have not had any answer... Is the presence or the form of the decoration unclear?

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Hi Ferit:

There is some indication in Goodwin's Anatomy of the Ship Blandford - scroll and leaf patterns. The book actually presents the Blandford in a slightly larger scale (1:96) than the Corel model, but either way it is very small detail work. In any case, I know I'm not ready for it, so I'm going to leave it blank....sad as it is. 

hamilton

Hi Ferit:

There is some indication in Goodwin's Anatomy of the Ship Blandford - scroll and leaf patterns. The book actually presents the Blandford in a slightly larger scale (1:96) than the Corel model, but either way it is very small detail work. In any case, I know I'm not ready for it, so I'm going to leave it blank....sad as it is. 

hamilton

Hi Hamilton,

Don't give up, don't be sad!...

I believe in your skill to manage it...

You can try at least... What would you lost? The time at most... The modelling is already outside of the worries about time... This is a way to know our limits. Before you have handled your scratch on the stern area, had you known how well would be the result?!

If you think to paint the decoration, then you can glue very small wooden or other material parts, one by one, like mosaic, on a leaf of paper on which the decoration had been drawn. The junctions could be filled and the outcome could be sanded and then painted, finally could be fixed after sanding the paper on the back side...

Or you can apply many layers of white glue following the lines of the decoration drawn on a leaf of paper, one layer over the another after the previous has got dry. When you reach the desired bulging (puff), you could shape easily the dried glue then paint it...

It's not indispensable to catch the museum quality, we (at least me) are not sculptors, wood engravers but it would be a pleasure for you and us to admire your own harvest...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

That's a great post by Ferit.  I too fear carving and sculpting.  But he reminds me there is this stuff called 'sculpy' which I think they sell in craft stores.  It's a putty that you shape (like the many layers of glue he describes) and then bake it off and it becomes solid.  Supposedly easy to work with and takes paint well.  One day, when I get stuck, I may try it.

Just a possible option for you.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Ahoy Hamilton :D

Chuck has a decorative band on his English Pinnace Kit and I have also seen similar bands on the upper section of the gunwales on larger ships. I believe it is easily done by applying something printed. 

From Chucks instructions

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/images/docs/MS1458/MS1458-Pinnace-Instructions.pdf

These are printed sheets that were created on an inkjet printer. Before you cut them out, it would be a good idea to apply some sort of fixative. One approach that is effective without having to go out and buy some artist’s spray fixative would be to use some hairspray. This is an old and cheap trick used by starving artists to preserve their work. The UV protection also prevents the colors from fading over time.

The frieze is just 1/8" wide. Carefully cut it out using a sharp blade. Some extras were provided just in case. There are two colors to choose from. The red friezes may be too much of the same color for some, so another set in blue was also included. I glued them to the hull with a child’s glue stick. I have three kids who use them a lot and I find they work well for gluing paper onto wood. Apply the glue to the back of the frieze strip and position it below the cap rail.

Maybe Chuck can send you the file for the blue one

post-108-0-90359100-1374080554.jpg

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

What Commodore Augie is talking about, I think, exists in the log of an unbelievable but a real high talented persona Doris... She shows and guides how to make decorations also through videos... If you had never visited her log I certainly recommend you to shoot a glance, you would be glued to her build... That is like an illusion...

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/854-royal-caroline-by-doris-card-1749-140/

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Wow - all this support has nearly brought me to tears!! I can't say how much I appreciate all the encouragement and helpful suggestions from all of you Thank you so much!!!

J - this is a great idea for a newbie such as myself - I'm not sure I would use Chuck's screens for the pinnace, but I will use this idea I think

Augie - I've used sculpy before for some very simple decorative scrollwork on the Sultana (another Chuck Passaro practicum suggestion). I think I'll follow Ferit's link above and check out Doris' work

Ferit - I can't thank you enough for your kind words! You've convinced me not to just give up - and you're absolutely right - if we're unwilling to give our time to improving our talents through this process and to making our work as nice as possible (within our own "reasonable" standards) then what's the point! I've already made the ship's rudder twice out of dissatisfaction with my results and will make it a third time tonight! So why not take a stab at this other thing? Thanks for passing on such inspiration!

In any case - an opportunity has presented itself that may result in some nice bulwark decorations...may take a bit of time, but it will work much better and be closer to historical than my initial (misguided and bizarre) idea of the brass tree frames!

Thanks once again to all - what a great group is to be found here!

hamilton

I wouldn't necessarily call your tree branches misguided...or bizarre for that matter... It was a creative attempt to realize some decoration, using a technique seen in other kits. You still deserve full points for imagination. :)

Ferit is absolutely correct; don't give up ;)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hamilton,

Good for you for being willing to try... here's the page I reference a lot from Olivier Bello's site: http://www.arsenal-modelist.com/index.php?page=accessories

In particular: http://www.arsenal-modelist.com/index.php?page=accessories∂=25

The printed decorations also will work.  On the smaller vessels, much of the decorations were painted on and not carved.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Andy and Mark - so I have not yet given up on the bulwark decorations, but I have put them on pause for a bit...To pass the time while turning my mind around my latest approach to that problem, I've decided to make the rudder and the cannons - it's fortunate that with projects like this there's always something else to do while you're figuring other stuff out!

I made the rudder three times. The first was out of 4mm x 4mm beach that I had left over from another build. This didn't work out - I messed up carving out the slots for the pintles and gudgeons. The second was from 3mm x 3mm lime, planked with .5mm lime. This didn't work because the shape was off. The last one was from the same material as number two, but I used a template to get the correct shape and it worked out quite well. Finished in white, Golden Oak and Red.

For the Pintles and Gudgeons, I abandoned the metal parts supplied in the kit and used 1/16 x 1/64" brass strip, blackened. I had thought of installing bolts, but at this scale and with only a pin vice to work with I decided against it. I did add ring bolts for the rudder chains.

No photos of the cannons yet - I'll save that for another post later....In the meantime, here's the rudder....Bye for now - hope you're all enjoying the weekend.

hamilton

post-304-0-79943900-1374434042_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-14615000-1374434074_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-75993200-1374434089_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-76132200-1374434114_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-02128400-1374434131_thumb.jpg

That one stern shot with the new rudder looks......terrific

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956