HMS Blandford by hamilton - FINISHED - from Corel HMS Greyhound - 1:100

Wow---- the birthdays are coming in like the tide at the Bay of Fundy.

Many happy returns  :cheers:

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks all for the birthday wishes! 42 seems pretty unremarkable. Augie - I appreciate the Bay of Fundy reference - New Brunswick is my home province! We're heading home tomorrow - I did manage to get the Blandford ship's boat finished (almost) while here. I still need to add a few details (ringbolts for hoisting and a tiller for the rudder) and to refinish the exterior. But it's looking alright so far. No photos to post, but soon enough.

Thanks again all for the birthday wishes and bye for now!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

I hoped you would like the analogy.  Only had the pleasure of seeing that tidal bore once but your birthday brought back the memory vividly.

We can wait for the photos !

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hamilton,

Many happy returns of the day.

42 is a good age to be. You will still have the energy of the young plus you will be a long way towards developing the wisdom of the not so young.  :)  

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Happy birthday, Hamilton.  And here's wishing you many more!  post-76-0-17575200-1377146979.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks again all! Wayne - I wasn't back in NB, but visiting my dad in his place of retirement - Cumberland Ontario. Not exactly "home", but a nice bit of green lawn in the country with a nice wood for tramping and bird/owl watching. Anyways - thanks all!

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Alright - though I've been away I have been working on the ship's boat. We just arrived back this morning and after putting the boy down to sleep I did a tiny bit of work and finished it off.

It was made from a Model Shipway's ship's boat kit (the 3 3/4" version). The boat is just about the right size - pretty much right on the length of the metal boat provided by Corel and only a touch wider on the beam. I deviated from the design of the ship's boat - mostly by referencing the pinnace drawings from the Blandford book and the large cutter drawings from the AOS Bellona. I could not achieve the precise effect of either of these boats and mine is something of a mongrel. It is probably most like the yawl in the Goodwin book in the end....

Anyway, I'm more or less please with the results. My main issue is that my dad didn't have any blue paint, so I was unable to paint the sheer strake blue as I had wanted - I could (and should) have left it raw for when I came home, but exercising my usual impatience I just painted it all black...Here are the pictures

hamilton

post-304-0-95866800-1377230240_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-37160700-1377230326_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-25547300-1377230374_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-85981300-1377230440_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-53602400-1377230502_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-49195600-1377230602_thumb.jpg

Hi there:

It seems I've had to divide this post in two - I was having trouble uploading some of the photos in the last post - not sure why....let's try again

hamilton

post-304-0-30540500-1377230980_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-30466600-1377231015_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-03249200-1377231048_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-32058200-1377231085_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-04195400-1377231140_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-58744300-1377231184_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-81672700-1377231225_thumb.jpg

Now that's a sweet little boat.  I've got a couple of those in the closet to put together.  Any issues with them?

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi and welcome Hamilton,

It looks accurate, very nice and detailed boat... Should we await some couple of oars?...

It would be a pleasure to see also some handiworks of your dad...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hamilton,

Nice looking little boat. I will be building one in the not too distant future and am interested in this.

If I understand the photos correctly there are 4 formers that hold some of the frame parts in shape whilst they are attached to the keel and whilst the planking is added. The rest of the frames are added after the planking is secure. Have I got that correct? Was it at this point that the formers were removed?

If so this is a different approach to the usual frames with detachable central part. The use of formers looks to me to be more suited to the smaller scales and hence ideal for what I will be doing.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Nice stuff Hamilton - the boat looks great. I'm waiting for Syren - Chuck - to come through with a boat or boats but I'm far from needing them at the moment. I'll have to stick to decking and planking for a while yet!

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Now that's a sweet little boat.  I've got a couple of those in the closet to put together.  Any issues with them?

Hi Mark

Thanks! It was a pretty straightforward little kit, though there are issues with using a rather generic design for all manner of ship's boats. The basic ship's boat kit is a 5" kit (not sure the scale) and for the smaller ones they just scale down the same design. I understand the economics of this kind of thing, but it does pose limitations if your aim is to produce something historical.

Other issues I had were the use of 1/16 x 1/16 lime for the frames - it's easy enough to work, but in the end it needs to be sanded down to 1/32" to bring it closer to scale.

Anyway, it was fun to put together! Thanks for coming by

hamilton

Really nice work on the ships' boat.  Those little details are adding a lot to your build.

CONGRATS !!!!    :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi and welcome Hamilton,

It looks accurate, very nice and detailed boat... Should we await some couple of oars?...

It would be a pleasure to see also some handiworks of your dad...

Hi Ferit: Thanks a lot! But I'm afraid there will be no oars!! I will be making 38 sweeps for the big ship, and the thought of making even 8 tiny ones for this little boat - given my increasingly limited modelling time - is too much!! 

In other news, I tried this beer the other day at a friend's house - it says it's Turkish (at least the brewery is in Istanbul) - I imagine this is a mass market export and that there must be some fine Turkish beers out there....If I ever make it back to your lovely city (I was there for 10 very memorable days back in 1998) perhaps we can try some together!

hamilton

post-304-0-32942200-1377285424_thumb.jpg

Hamilton,

Nice looking little boat. I will be building one in the not too distant future and am interested in this.

If I understand the photos correctly there are 4 formers that hold some of the frame parts in shape whilst they are attached to the keel and whilst the planking is added. The rest of the frames are added after the planking is secure. Have I got that correct? Was it at this point that the formers were removed?

If so this is a different approach to the usual frames with detachable central part. The use of formers looks to me to be more suited to the smaller scales and hence ideal for what I will be doing.

Hi Ian:

Yes - 4 frames, plus a transom piece and a bow piece. I think you could probably dispense with the bow piece altogether and outfit the boat with a proper breast hook rather than the bow planking - though I guess it would depend on the type of boat you were trying to model. Planking across the 4 main frames and then yes, the removal of the frame formers. The other frames were added (in port and starboard sections) afterwards. I added bottom boards over the seams between the false frames and the keel to make it look more authentic (well....you know what I mean)

The ship's boat came together very easily. The strip wood was not of the highest quality and even after soaking the 1/16 x 1/16 pieces ended up shredding when bent around the frames. I had to spend a bit of time after they were dry in sanding then down and fairing them - tricky at this scale, particularly at the bow, which is why it looks a little kinked there.

Anyway - I say go for it. It was a fun little holiday project. Model expo offers several sizes of this same boat from 5" down to 3" (or smaller, I can't recall). The one I built was the 3 3/4 which pretty is much exactly the length of the Corel supplied metal boat hull.

hamilton

Thanks Ferit! And you're welcome here - if you don't mind the rain!

hamilton

Well I have a couple of updates - one documenting the bridle port lids and the other documenting the galley stack and the elm tree pumps. Here goes.

The bridle port lids consist of 2 layers of planking - a horizontal (outboard) layer consisting of 2 6mm x 1.5mm lime and a vertical (inboard) layer consisting of 3mm x .5mm lime, painted red. Here are a few shots of the process.

post-304-0-79869200-1377414967_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-29990200-1377414994_thumb.jpg

It took a bit of filing to get the port lid to fit, but eventually I got it....

post-304-0-11061500-1377415018_thumb.jpg

I bevelled the inboard layer of planking and added a ring bolt in the lower centre. I also used 1/16" pinstripe tape and blackened brass wire to simulate the hinges and hinge pins outboard - they're a little large for scale....

Here's the finished product.

post-304-0-65221400-1377415079_thumb.jpg

hamilton

The galley stack was quite straightforward. I constructed it out of a single 3mm x 3mm strip of lime, shaped according to the drawings in Goodwin and painted black. I drilled and filed out a hole for the actual funnel, but it's barely noticeable...I cut and stained a 6mm x .5mm piece of lime for the base and wrapped some pinstripe tape around it to simulate an iron band that Goodwin shows just below the outlet. Here it is.

post-304-0-21023200-1377415537_thumb.jpg

I was a little worried about the pumps but they ended up not being too difficult to make. I used 2mm x 2mm lime, with a section filed out at the end for the pump bracket, and 3mm x .5mm lime (shaped) for the handle. Here is a shot of some of these parts beside the kit-supplied metal part.

post-304-0-03138700-1377415503_thumb.jpg

I used a 4mm dowel for the pump barrel. I drilled a hole in the side for the spout, which I made from a piece of brass rod. I drilled another hole in the top and painted the interior black to simulate a well. A bit of pin stripe tape wrapped around the top simulates an iron band, and a small piece of wire set in the well and propping up the handle completed the assembly. Here is a comparison with the Corel part....

post-304-0-39711600-1377415594_thumb.jpg

....and here are mine installed on deck....

post-304-0-85811700-1377415624_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-35153400-1377415648_thumb.jpg

hamilton

I'm with Ferit.  Your scratch built stack, and particularly the pumps, outshine the supplied items.  Nice work.

I like your red, by the way.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Careful there Hamilton.  You're about to enter "The Darkside".   :D    Super looking pumps and bridle port lids.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark - I do feel myself to be dangerously close - and dangerously unprepared!! Soon....but not quite yet!

hamilton