Royal William by marktiedens - FINISHED - Euromodel - scale 1:72

Before continuing the first planking above the level of the main deck I wanted to determine exactly where the planks would end at the bow. After studying the plan sheets i marked on the bow deck where the planking should end - approx.19mm in front of bulkhead F. I used one of the cut outs from the bulkheads to make a new false bulkhead which already had the correct deck camber across the top. Then I spaced it 3mm in front of bulkhead F. From what I measured it should give me the correct starting point for the planks. There will be another thin false bulkhead which will have the roundhouses & decorations mounted on it & glued on at a later stage. 

post-4600-0-50821400-1451665399_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-58683500-1451665444_thumb.jpg

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

• 2 weeks later...

A little progress - stove located & glued down. Then I glued the forecastle deck & planked it. Also built up the bulwarks double thick with some first planking strips. They will be trimmed down after determining the positions of the cast metal decorations. Also lined the gun ports without lids at the waist with 1 mm strips. They look a little large,but they measure 11mm as on the plans. The finish planking will go all the way to the inside edge of those gun ports. All the gun ports with lids will be lined with 1mm strips set back 1mm from the outside edge after the finish planking.

post-4600-0-13032500-1452639845_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-89306700-1452639862_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-24735700-1452639880_thumb.jpg

Mark

Mark,

You are out-doing-yourself on this one (:-)

Cheers

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks Frank - I actually got the bleaching idea from Vince P who is also building this ship. I haven`t tried it on anything but the kit walnut. Also the bleach doesn`t penetrate clear through the wood - the planks are still dark on the inside.

Mark

Edited by marktiedens

Hi all - thanks everyone for looking in. I got the inner bulwark finish planking done & painted.Also cut the openings for the anchor catheads. I had some extra gun carriages & a couple of extra cannon in my spare parts box that were about the same size as the kit cannons,so I rigged a couple of them up that are under the quarter deck. Then I finished building the stair railing with more of those grooved toothpicks - not the greatest looking but it is nearly hidden under the quarter deck.

post-4600-0-61631300-1453253514_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-60893000-1453253532_thumb.jpgpost-4600-0-22657700-1453253552_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-68438400-1453253640_thumb.jpg

Mark

Quick question: Was there not enough cannon supplied with the kit? I noticed you said you put in some extra spare ones you had.

There are enough half cannons (dummy cannons) and full cannons supplied in the kit to build the RW as indicated in their plans. However, their plans indicate that the dummy cannons should be used under some of the open decks, where they may be visible. Also, it appears that Mark is doing what I did (hack through some frames to open up more holes for cannons). If you do that, you will end up with a shortage of cannons.

I had to order more cannons from Euromodel.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Hi Frank - Keith is correct about the cannons. The kit came with 74 dummy cannons of various sizes & 26 full size cannons. There are 2 under the quarter deck & 2 under the forecastle that they indicate using dummy cannons. They are difficult to see but they are visible if you look close enough. I only have 2 extra full size cannons that are about the same size so I flipped a coin & decided to put them under the quarter deck - they are more visible than the 2 under the forecastle. Under the forecastle will be the 2 dummy guns. Also some of the other gun ports that are completely blocked by bulkheads will have the lids shut. I did open a few that were just partially blocked.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - a little update. I installed the quarter deck & planked it - I don`t know if the overhang at the rear will eventually will be cut off,so I planked it all the way to the rear.Then I double planked the bulwarks,added a finish layer of planks to the inside,cut out the gun ports& painted it. A question for you RW builders out there - there doesn`t seem to be any dummy half-guns with the same size barrel as the quarter deck & forecastle deck full cannons. The smallest half guns are the same size as the main deck cannons,which are larger than the cannons on the upper decks. Are we supposed to use them anyway?I am thinking about just showing the ports on the quarter deck with dummy guns closed - the dummy guns provided have noticeably larger barrel diameters.

post-4600-0-00588000-1454776549_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-76931800-1454776568_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-66929900-1454776585_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-62831500-1454776606_thumb.jpg

Mark

Mark I am still overseas. When I get back, I will check my stash. From memory, they did supply two different diameters of dummy guns. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Hi Keith - actually there are 3 sizes of dummy guns but the smallest ones are still larger than the guns for the quarterdeck. The parts list shows the 3 sizes of dummy guns & 2 sizes of full guns.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I checked my kit and there are 3 sizes of dummy guns and the smallest are the same size as the quarterdeck guns.

Vince P. :dancetl6:

Hi Vince - I checked again and I have the 3 sizes of dummy guns. The largest are for the first gun deck,the next size smaller are for the second gun deck,& the next size smaller are for the main deck. The quarter & forecastle deck guns are smaller yet. If you refer back a couple of posts there is a picture of a quarter deck gun & the smallest dummy gun that I have. There are enough of the smallest dummy guns to put in all the ports without carriages on the quarter deck,but the barrels are noticeably larger :huh:.

Mark

Hi Mark

I have the same as you.

When I looked at them I thought at the time they looked a bit on the large side.

I did not say anything as I was doing  the hull planking at the time and I forgot all about it till now.

Have you asked Peter about it ??.

Denis.

Hi Mark,

Here is what I have. As you can see, the smallest dummy barrel is just about right for the quarterdeck. The smallest ones were not in with the larger brass ones, and were is a seperate package. I included all of the sizes plus a sample of a main deck and quarterdeck gun.

Vince P. :dancetl6:

post-579-0-07614100-1454896130_thumb.jpg

G'day Mark 

Just started to read your log. Excellent  comes to my mind.

Love your balustrades and windows. Its a great pity they both will be only partially viable.  ;)

Havagooday mate

Greg  

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi again Vince - I took a picture of all the guns in my kit. From left to right - quarter & forecastle gun,main deck gun,main deck half gun,second gun deck half gun,lower gun deck half gun. The sizes & quantities are correct in my parts list. Maybe you have an older or newer one than mine. Anyway it`s no big deal - I may just leave those 3 rear ports closed. Only 2 of them are shown open anyway.

post-4600-0-75869800-1454906487_thumb.jpg

Mark

Update - first thanks to all for looking in & your likes. I drilled out all the window sections of the quarter deck panels & filled them with some kristal klear window maker - all 108 of them. Needless to say my fingers are a little sore. Sorry I forgot to take some close ups of them. After gluing them in place I made an upper quarter deck support beam & glued in place. I had to make some short knees for it - full length beams would have been in the way of the gun carriages & their rigging.

post-4600-0-61937900-1455235881_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-64467200-1455235898_thumb.jpg

Mark

G'day Mark

Just brilliant work on the windows, I reckon not only your fingers were saw, your eyes must be saw as well.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...