Royal William by marktiedens - FINISHED - Euromodel - scale 1:72

Thanks so much,Greg. I tend to be more critical of my work so future builders of this ship won`t make the same mistake :). I could go into detail about why the wales are too low,but I would probably get cramps in my fingers from all the typing ;).

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Hi Mark, I'm with Greg, way too honest. The wales, chainplates, chesstrees ......the whole ship for that matter...........looks great 

Update  - all the guns & lids are now in place so she can defend herself. :pirate41: The tangs on the lid hinges were inserted in small holes drilled in the hull & with the ropes attached they are fairly sturdy. The ropes for closing the lids were simply tied to the pins on the backs of the dummy guns before gluing them in place. Happy new year to all & thanks for looking in.

post-4600-0-70927300-1483149922_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-19771700-1483149943_thumb.jpg

Mark

Amazing work. Surely the RW for everyone to aspire to. 

She might be able to defend herself, but she ain't going anywhere without the masts ;) Get back to work! 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Gorgeous work on a gorgeous subject Mark.  Really inspiring!  Have a great 2017!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

G'day Mark

I gonna be a broken record. Just brilliant mate. I wish there are another way to say it, but everyone has said it before, so ditto, ditto.

You are correct when you told Keith about his RW. It's been very quiet in Melbourne - no posting coming from there! There's an Ozzie way of putting it. GET YOUR FINGER OUT KEITH.

Mark I'll be waiting for your next 'little update'.

Happy 2017 to you and everyone.

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi all - another little update. first of all the two small brackets for the ensign staff were shaped & glued in place at the stern.

post-4600-0-78446500-1484197567_thumb.jpg

Then I figured it would be a good time to build the stern lanterns. They come as a central former with 6 window sections for each one. They fit nicely with very little clean up needed. I decided to cut out the "glass" sections of the windows as I did with all the other windows on the ship. The center section of the former was painted a combination of bright yellow & orange to try & simulate a flame. The window frames were then painted gold & liquid glass maker was used to make the windows. All frames were then glued to the formers & after a little filler & some filing on the edges I finished painting the tops & bases. I didn`t quite get the look I was after,but I think they still look better than just painting the window areas. They won`t be fixed in place until much later & some side supports will be added at that time.

post-4600-0-25597800-1484198692_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-47543000-1484198711_thumb.jpg

Mark 

Update - The next thing I did was make up the anchors. The kit provides 4 anchors of 2 different sizes. The flukes were a little too wide so I narrowed them down & filed down the mold lines. The stocks were of the generic kind & way too fat & short,so I made some new ones with the correct dimensions. a groove was filed around them to look like 2  pieces & the iron bands were simulated by using some heat shrink tubing. New rings were made from some .8mm brass wire & wrapped with black thread for the puddening.      Next,the anchor buoys are provided in the kit as barrel shaped wood pieces,which I made  slings for with some .6mm black rope. They don`t look the best,but they were difficult to hold & get all the ropes tied on.

post-4600-0-03880300-1484687522_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-67984400-1484687537_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-11092100-1484687551_thumb.jpg

Mark

G'day Mark

Great piece of work on the anchors. It's a good idea of using heat shrink for the metal. I did an experiment on a piece of wood with heat shrink around it , oh about 18 months ago and put it on the window sill. Just looked at it and so far just like new if you blow away the dust (it's my garage window). It gets direct sunlight for half the day.

So far so good.

Havagooday my friend

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Thanks Greg - I got the heat shrink idea from someone else on the forum,but I don`t remember where I saw it,so thanks to that person for the idea. i`ve used a lot of heat shrink on automotive wiring repairs & have never seen it go bad,so it should be just fine for my little ship ;) .

Mark

That might have been me with the heat shrink idea in Kenneth Powell's build log of the Rattlesnake, post #40.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3656-rattlesnake-by-kenneth-powell-model-shipways-american-privateer/page-2

I'm also following this build log as well since I'm also building the Royal William.  I'm not dedicated enough to do a build log, but I'm following all of these great builds in the forum.

He's mine so far.

Regards,

Bill

post-11144-0-96234800-1484709784_thumb.jpg

post-11144-0-19159800-1484709791_thumb.jpg

Edited by BillLib

I learned this technique from BE's incredible build log for his HMS Pegasus.

Though I have not tried it out yet.

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

We tend to judge the popularity of a kit by the number of different build logs on MSW. How fantastic to see the photos from Bill of his wonderful work on the Royal William shown above even though he has not set up his own build log. I for one would love to see some more of his photos in the future. I suspect we could all learn a few tricks from his obvious depth of expertise.

Pete

Update - moving right along,I added some cat heads to the catheads :P. Then I added the staghorn cleats to the quarterdeck bulwarks. I am pretty sure the hull is now complete  except for the stern lanterns,which will be installed later :D.

post-4600-0-59725400-1484931408_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-87318300-1484931429_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-67000300-1484931452_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-43654800-1484931481_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-86097400-1484931505_thumb.jpg

Mark

Mark,

Those last three views just tell it all - superb work. What a beauty you are creating.

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Looking really beautiful Mark, really coming together now. Can't imagine how heavy she must be now...

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

G'day Mark

Firstly I must say, congratulations on this stage being finished! What a beauty she is! And you must be so proud of your achievements thus far.

Every stage of your log so far has pushed the envelope and it's a 'benchmark' for all to follow.

All I can say is ditto to all the previous entries.

Have you weighed her so far? I'm also curious to find out how heavy she is.

Havagooday my friend

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

Thank you all for your nice comments & likes :cheers: . As far as weight,all I have is one of those old step-on scales,but it shows about 11 pounds,which is quite heavy for a model this size. After picking it up & moving it around many times,I would say it is at least that heavy. That converts to about 5KG if my conversion chart is right.

Mark

Hi all - this will be my attempt at building the Royal William from Euromodel. I say attempt because I consider my skills as just average. 

In looking at this blog, I was reminded of the first lines you wrote. 

This sure is quite an "attempt". Well done so far!!

Rick Shousha

Montreal

Maybe time for a small pause in this fantastic construction - however, I doubt whether you will take that pause Mark. I agree with Greg that this is indeed a phenomenal benchmark for a completed hull of the Royal William. Not for anyone to follow necessarily in its absolute detail but Mark has shown what could be done and I would like to think that others that are in the process of building their own Royal William will be inspired to 'carve out' their own presentation. There is so much freedom within this Euromodel build to create an individualistic approach. This ship is becoming a beauty to behold (to coin a phrase).

Congratulations Mark.

Pete