Royal William by marktiedens - FINISHED - Euromodel - scale 1:72

Thanks David. I don`t recall doing any real carving. which parts are you referring to? If you mean the decorative scroll work,they are the castings from the kit - nice aren`t they. I did go a step further & opened up the stern windows & some of the scroll work on the stern & side galleries which were cast as solid pieces. I first drilled a hole in the section of the casting that I wanted to remove. Then I opened up the holes with a #11 exacto knife & really small files. The metal is just soft enough that it can be cut with a sharp blade. Not too difficult - just time consuming. The castings are made of a soft metal because many of them need to be bent & trimmed to fit.

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

I fell behind a little on your log Mark, as usual it is awesome :) . I like your idea of the gangways, they should look good, looking forward to the installation day.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all -

More progress - I figured it was as good a time as any to get the 12 guns at the waist mounted as the rigging would be difficult to do after mounting the gangways. I won`t go into a lot of detail on the building of the guns,but I did modify the carriages a little by thinning them down a bit & putting a slant on the front to match the slant of the inner planking. The gun barrels were simply painted semi-gloss black & the trunnion caps were made from some copper strip & painted black also. The blocks I used were from Syren - very nice blocks. They are slightly larger than I would have liked,but smaller ones are a bit difficult for me to work with. After fixing the guns in place,the previously built gangways were installed. The front edge is level with the forecastle deck,& the rear edge is 2 steps lower than the quarter deck. Next up is some ladders & railings. Thanks everyone for looking in.

post-4600-0-21917200-1476217377_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-13227100-1476217398_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-12639700-1476217424_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-29770200-1476217443_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-35840100-1476217459_thumb.jpg

Mark

You have done a real fine job on the cannons and the gangways are a great addition. Looks perfect

More progress in the shipyard - First thing I did was assemble all the ladders & glued them in place. Next I built a base for the capstan from 1x5mm strips edge glued together & added the small timbers around the base. One small problem I had was when I built the capstan I shortened it to fit under the forecastle deck beam but forgot to take into account the thickness of the base. So I just cut a hole in the base just big enough for the capstan to fit into. After fitting the base in place,I could just slide the capstan into place :).  Then I fitted all the bitts in place - all were pinned & glued. Next up were the forecastle & quarter deck railings. Their construction was pretty straightforward - just a matter of cutting a bunch of short timbers & gluing them together. Bending some of those 2x3mm timbers was a bit tricky,but I got `em done. The railing on the gangway was a bit fiddly due to the timbers were only 1.5mm square. The S shaped piece of railing joining the gangway railing to the quarter deck railing kept splitting or kinking when I tried to bend it,so I ended up just carving it from a larger timber. Also the plans showed that the grating between the quarter deck railings appears to have larger openings than the gratings on the decks,so I used a little larger spaced grating from my stash.

post-4600-0-13712000-1476415734_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-91113700-1476415748_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-48787900-1476415769_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-59017900-1476415791_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-57733200-1476415808_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-97394900-1476415829_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-71493000-1476415852_thumb.jpg

Mark

She keeps getting better and better Mark. You did a fine job on those "S" shaped railings

Mark,

Just catching up !!  Yes this one IS really special indeed. And as Frank mentioned nice work on all of those curved bits.

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks Michael :).

In case anyone was wondering how I bent all those railings,here is what I use - a plank bender I bought many years ago when Aeropiccola was still in business. It`s simply a 50 watt soldering iron with a comma shaped head in it. It has an adjustable spring loaded roller to hold the plank down & you just plug it in & it will heat up. After soaking the plank in some plain water,I slip the plank under the roller,let the iron heat up,& start applying some pressure on the plank & it will start bending. Softer woods need only a few minutes to soak,while harder wood may need up to an hour depending on the thickness of the wood. This is the most useful tool I have - if you ever find one for sale -BUY IT.

post-4600-0-33151300-1476571515_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-08502300-1476571547_thumb.jpg

Mark

a beautiful model Mark,

very nice work to date....

and BTW, a happy birthday to you

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Happy Birthday Mark, enjoy your day. Party  time? :cheers:

Another update - upper quarter deck breast rail completed. first I cut 11 3X3X5MM posts for the rail. They were then glued onto a 3mm wide strip - spaced 6mm apart according to the plans. I happened to have a 6mm wide half round file which I used to create the arches,then a 2x4mm strip was bent to the curve of the deck camber & glued on top of the arches. Then the assembly was glued to the deck. I may work on the curved staircases next - have to think a while on those.

post-4600-0-67058100-1476734506_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-14355400-1476734521_thumb.jpg

post-4600-0-44983100-1476734534_thumb.jpg

Mark

Hi Keith - got them from Ages of Sail - they are much nicer than I could ever make. They are made by Amati,I think. If you go to their web site,click on "fittings". They have a lot of fittings,so you may need to go through numerous pages to find them.

Mark

Keith

You can get the same ones from www.modelshipyard.com.au

I got mine over a year ago now.

Denis.

Edited by Denis R

G'day Mark

Been away for a month or so. Time to catch up and I must say that your ship is getting better every day.

The detail that you have done is going to be my Bible when I do my own RW.

Don't need to say 'keep up the great work ' because I know that you will.

havagooday my friend

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi all - another update. Figured I may as well do the curved stairs. First thing I did was cut the steps from some 3x5mm strip.

post-4600-0-08984600-1477351345_thumb.jpg

Then I glued them up into a curve.

post-4600-0-88880700-1477351428_thumb.jpg

Then I added a landing at the top plus one more step. I made the hand rail stanchions by putting a round wood toothpick in my Dremel & cut some grooves with a file. After staining & gluing in place,I formed the handrail with my plank bender & glued them in place.

post-4600-0-02470700-1477351704_thumb.jpg

This last picture shows the curved stairs in place. They are not glued down yet - the quarter deck guns need to be mounted first as access will be limited after the stairs are permanently in place.

post-4600-0-14724200-1477351920_thumb.jpg

As always,thanks for looking in. Also the hand rail will be finished after the stairs are permanently in place.

Mark

Edited by marktiedens