Royal William by marktiedens - FINISHED - Euromodel - scale 1:72

Mark,

As always very nice work. Rudder chains nice "tweak"  !!

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Mark 

Just outstanding mate. I love the top tips of the mizzen mask. I assume that the other 2 has the same treatment. 

Havagooday my friend 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Mark, you have 'mastered' this area of your ship-building so well. Congrats.

Nautical terms are funny at times - those knobs on the top end of the masts are termed 'trucks' .... and yet the wheels on the gun carriages are also termed 'trucks' ! I hope I have got that correct.

Pete

Thank Pete for that lesson........ I guess that they are both round like a wheel. 😆

Havagooday 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Thanks Greg & Pete - I should be farther along,but with the weather turning nice progress has slowed.Even with Pete`s guidance it still takes me a while to figure out all this rigging stuff. I am also a little short on eyebolts,so I need to make a few more before moving on.

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

check out the craft stores,  in the jewelry / bead depts............they carry eye bolts that have long posts.   you can cut them to any length you need

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Popeye -  I already have some of those eyepins from Michaels. Unfortunately,the eyes are a bit too large - couldn`t find any that were small enough. I may go back & ask someone in the store if they have any smaller ones rather than try & find them myself. I may also get some more from Model Expo next time they have a sale on supplies. 

Mark

Another small update - all the necessary (I think) blocks & eyebolts have been added to the decks. The masts have also been permanently set in place. The bowsprit will not be installed until the shrouds are done - too easy to snap it off while turning the ship around numerous times.

001.JPG.26438c092e65778db2936ab3719488fa.JPG

002.JPG.13187cca41bb01cb1bb5d2f63db6866d.JPG

006.JPG.2cbd9e7a32fe5c2ad668bc23cfaf9b00.JPG

005.JPG.de57c5dd1fcffcdcc114d27e619716b3.JPG

Mark  

G'day Mark 

She's looking like Grand lady. Bloody marvelous work mate. You shuddabeproud (should be proud) of yourself. 

Havagooday 

Greg 

I've resized them {those eye bolts} sometimes.......  squeeze them around the appropriate size drill bit,  and trim off the extra wire.   I don't think they carry any other size.   there are other bead fittings that work well with the hobby.   I find stuff every time I go in there ;)      nicely done masts on a beautiful ship........they go together real nice :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for your comments & likes,guys. The eyebolts are really easy to make - just put a small drill bit in a vice,wrap the wire around it,then continue to twist it with a pair of pliers. The nice thing is you can make them any size you want depending on the size of drill bit. I made this one with .8mm wire & a #55 drill bit.

001.JPG.3e2650e58f0fbb7f03abbe85e7e14722.JPG

002.JPG.4ebde2edddfb524dc30bdbb4aa95c368.JPG

Mark

I might also add that its been fantastic to see a couple of little techniques used by two Royal William builders -  Mark (eye bolts) and Ken ('tracing' a portion of a drawing onto the ship's side) being posted in the last day or so. That is the sort of thing that adds a little icing to the cake. Please keep posting these little gems so we can all be inspired.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Another little update - all the lower shrouds are now done. Also added all the staves to the shrouds - each one is tied to each shroud rope. Glad to get that fiddly stuff done:).Still deciding whether to add catharpins - they are not shown on the plans,but they were in use at that time period.

001.JPG.5fc160714a57c3e665868cfd82e32e25.JPG

004.JPG.09481597c1ad72c853d47c9e32d8c0f7.JPG

002.JPG.451b17295aaee04ecee33e34048b4425.JPG

003.JPG.0b181c90b4628c73676a5165cf3f1e3a.JPG

Mark

Mark,

Yes as Pete said super fiddly and time consuming work that in the aggregate is well worth the time. You will be glad that you went the extra distance, especially with this current superb build. Nice update indeed.

And yes do add the catharpins (:-)

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Another small update - catharpins done. They were made by simply weaving a rope between the futtock staves & then they were tied together in small bundles. They will be tighter after the futtock shrouds are on & tensioned.

003.JPG.885b29c79ee45365382ce442c483fc44.JPG

004.JPG.2310f82d2246c9f9cb2e992e4ccc33a6.JPG

Mark

Brave push there Mark. Most people avoid this not well understood catharpin rigging.  Pre-1680 and there was not good evidence of them being used and you have done well to only use a continuous line collected into bundles and frapped in the centers. Post 1733 (according to Anderson) and they were a set of individual lines running between opposite shrouds and were fully frapped. So you have nailed the correct time frame. Well done.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Another small update - futtock shrouds done. The chainplates were made by wrapping the deadeyes with .8mm brass wire & soldering them shut. Then the ends were cut off & flattened by pinching them in a vice. Finally,a hole was drilled in the flattened ends. Hooks left over from a previous build were used to rig the shrouds.Smaller hooks were used on the mizzen shrouds.

001.JPG.58edec899d6241e9eb18e6d0d46007e2.JPG  002.JPG.6d7fa09bc79d392f05c5f3ce11bbf017.JPG  003.JPG.868ee62601c2f0bd5a645921295052ad.JPG  Mark

G'day Mark 

I looked at the photos in the enlarged format, and I can't see any indications that this is enlargement from the model. All the wooden joins and the ropes are superbly done.

An excellent example of a master craftsman. I hope some day I'll be half as good. 

Bloody brilliant mate!

Havagooday 

Greg