Hurricane Island Pulling Boat

grsjax

Just picked up an old kit for a "Hurricane Island Pulling Boat".  Wondering if anyone has built or is familiar with this kit.

This is what I know so far.  The boat is a modified version of the old US Navy whaler designed for sail and oar.  The boats were built in the '70s for the Hurricane Island Outward Bound School.  The kit was made by Laughing Whale.  That is pretty much the sum of my knowledge.  If there are any build logs or other information out there I would really like to find it.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

• 2 weeks later...

The Hurricane island pulling boat kit was sold by The Laughing Whale company in the 1980's. An ad describing it can be found in the May/June 1982 Number 46 copy of Wooden Boat magazine. If a scan of this ad would help you, let me know. It was designed by the distinquished  American naval architect Cy Hamlin. His book " Primary Design of Boats and Ships" is a must read for anyone interested in boat designing. Mr. Hamlin is now in his nineties and very alert. He has  helped start a small but interesting museum of foreign boat models at The Landing School. I would be very interested in finding one of these models if the kit is complete. Hopefully this info helps you.

Edited by lakebased

grsjax, I remember the kit, but unfortunately, I never built it.

I built a couple of the original Laughing Whale kits, the Sharpie and the Swampscott Dory. The Dory is now made by BlueJacket. I also still have the big Laughing Whale kit of the Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack in the closet. Had it for something like 15 years thinking it would be neat to build it for RC sail.

In general, the kits are a bit rough in the die-cut area, but their subjects are nice boats. The plans are pretty simple, but usable. Instructions are very basic as I recall. 

With a little work, should make a fine model. Hope to see a build log soon!

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

• 1 year later...

I am wondering if you built the Hurricane Island Pulling Boat kit?

I bought the kit back in 1995 and built most of the hull but cannot find the part I built after a move>  (still have the box, plans, and remaining material.)

I have been looking for another copy of the kit so I can complete it as a gift for my daughter who spent a couple of weeks on such a boat for an Outward Bound session.  If you have not built it and would be willing to part with it, please let me know.

David

• 3 years later...

I was on Hurricane Island in 1983. I received, as a gift, a model of the pulling boat in 1984. Thirty-six years later, during this quarantine, I opened the box and plan on building the model. I was wondering if there were more detailed plans. I do have 2 blueprint pages and 5 pages (with pictures) of basic instructions.

Thanks,

Pete

On 5/15/2020 at 2:30 PM, NuYawka said:

I was on Hurricane Island in 1983. I received, as a gift, a model of the pulling boat in 1984. Thirty-six years later, during this quarantine, I opened the box and plan on building the model.

Be sure to start a build log, Pete, this would be a very interesting build of a model rarely seen on this forum and you'll get a lot of helpful advice if you need it too from some very experienced modelers. Good luck on your build!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild