HMS Vulture 1776 Cross-section by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale from TFFM books - FINISHED

Hi all,

Having completed HMS Vulture and donating her to the Port Macquarie Maritime Museum I decided to build a Cross-section of the ship to display alongside her.

I will be building the section in exactly the same way I built the original model, using the same timbers etc. This will allow viewers to see some of the internal details which are now virtually invisible.

Below is my now customary Index to Points of Interest. Clicking on a Link will take you to the relevant post where the construction of that area begins. The Index will be added to as work progresses.

Index to Points of Interest

Preparations

Keel

Floors

Frames

Fitting Frames

Fairing

Pump Recesses and Pump Inlets

Internal Planking

Treenailing and Mainmast Step

Lower Deck Beams

Stanchions for the Well

Lower Well and Shot Locker

Limber Boards and Lower Deck Knees

Iron Knees

Chain Pump Sprocket and Chain

Pump Tubes

Hatch Coamings

Mast

Lower Deck Planking

Upper Well

Mast Partner Carlings and Main Topsail Sheet Bitt Pins

Hammock Battens

Gratings

Mast Partners and Pump Tubes Fitted

Wales

External Planking and Treenailing and Port Liners

Bitts Fitted, Cisterns and Chain Pump Cranks

Elm Tree Pumps

Guns

Quarterdeck Section, Entry Steps and External Moldings

Guns Finished, Gangways and Ladder

Gangway Railing and Newel Post, Channel, Chains and Deadeyes

FINISHED MODEL

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Great stuff, looking forward to seeing how you will surpass yourself once again Danny, if that's even possible.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I'm grabbing a chair also.... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'll jus' be draggin' a barrel up to sit on.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hi Dan.

Yea another cross section for me to follow :)

A different ship no less. Nice.

Got my sun lounger booked and ready to receive...

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Watch your backs, comin' through! Ah, that's better - just managed to get one of the last places in the front row. Pass me a beer will please you Mark? And someone send for Sjors and the popcorn machine - this is bound to be entertaining, as well as educational. :)

Seriously, Danny, you really need to start booking larger rooms !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Coming in hot. I'll settle for a seat in the next row back! Paging Sjors for the popcorn machine. An adult libation, anyone? I've got some Oktoberfest.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Hi Danny,

I am really looking forward to detailed building techniques which were sadly lost after the "crash". Now that I have started the Euryalus, I am finding the progress a little frustrating without being able to follow detailed instructions from those who have gone before.Although the books are good and the MSW pictures are fantastic, I find myself asking "how did they do that?". Now I'll know. Now back to my "daily fix". And thanks for choosing a "Period build".

Regards,

Russell

Thank you all for your interest in this build. Any comments are always welcome. And Russell, we're all still waiting for your Build Log of Euryalus :D .

Preparations begin by first deciding how much of the section to build. I decided on roughly this area, which shows the Well and Shot Locker, as well as the lower part of the Main Mast and the Pumps. There will also be two fully-rigged Guns on the Upper Deck :

Plans 003.jpg

Next I worked out which Frames will be needed from the Framing Plan :

Plans 002.jpg

Then I printed out the frames from the CD supplied by Admiralty Models for the Swan Class Ships. I printed these on sticky-backed A4 size Label Paper (2 frames per sheet) :

Plans 001.jpg

When I checked on how much timber I have left from building Vulture, there was a bit less Swiss Pear than I thought. I have enough to make a decent start, but I'll have to order a few more pieces from Crown Timberyard. These will probably take around 6 weeks to arrive (at least 4 of those clearing Customs) so there may be a short delay in sequential construction later on. I can pass the time by building other details :) .

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Danny,

The post isn't even up for 24 hours and already I'm in the "Standing Room" section!!!!! It's ok though, I'll wait until one of the other miscreants, has to visit the loo from all the beer they've been swilling and steal their seat.

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

What will be the scale?

Janos ...... errr - it's in the Title :D . 1:48 scale, same as Vulture.

Thank you John.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

See last post. The beer is kicking in already!!!!!......and George is thinking I might have a hard time snatching a seat.....HAH. J.

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Count me in, Dan. I'll follow your log with great interest

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

I bought some items from a Canadian firm a while back. They sat in Chicago for 2 weeks. :( The actual transit time was 1 day in Ontario and 2 days from Chicago to western NC. :huh:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Great idea Danny, you see some exquisite models in museums and often ponder about the internals; a neat way to show this.  I know you have just started but any ideas of a full made up mast (no rigging)  as a separate item also?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

And another thank you to my new followers for looking in :) .

any ideas of a full made up mast (no rigging)  as a separate item also?

No Pat. The ones on the full model are clear enough to see all those details. The cross-section will only get a stub mast to about half the height of the lower mast. I'll detail the section that I fit of course.

Keel

Work has started by making up the Keel.

First I glued on the False Keel. Then I fitted two stainless steel mounting nuts into the keel itself - on the full model these went into the Rising Wood, but that created a few problems with exact placement under two frames to hide them.

Mounting Nuts 002.jpg

The rising wood needed a little bit of scalloping out to clear the tops of the nuts :

Mounting Nuts 001.jpg

I've also cut in the Rabbet. I used a 45° cutter in my Mill, as this section has a straight rabbet :

Rabbet 001.jpg

I managed to JUST cut through to the mounting nut on the port side - lucky that it's the side that will be planked :D :

Rabbet 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Last job for today, I cut the mortices into the keel for the frames. This wasn't totally necessary as they won't be seen later, but I figure it makes it easier to line up the frames at the correct spacing.

Frame Mortices.jpg

Speaking of spacing, I've followed The Framing Disposition plan I got from the NMM. The spacings aren't even on the plan, some are 2 1/4" scale inches different to others, making them LOOK wrong even though they are correct.

Cheers, Danny

enjoying your Swan cross-section. I think you'll enjoy the relatively simpler construction of the mid-ships area, starting with the V-shaped rabbet. And no spiling required later on during planking.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks Greg.

The first pieces of the frames have been cut. I've made all the Floors first, as they are the thickest at 10 (scale) inches thick. If I run out of Pear before the new stock arrives I'll be able to run the remainder of my thicker stuff, including the leftover from the 10", through my Thickness Sander to get the thinner Futtocks and Toptimbers.

The Port side of this Cross-section will be fully planked inside and out as was the full model. I'm using simple scarph joints on the planked side - the open side will have Chocks between all the futtocks.

Note that these pieces are virtually straight off the scroll saw - there's a bit of finessing to be done yet. Every 2nd frame has a Floor, so only half of them are in these pics. Nothing has been glued in yet :

Floors 001.jpg

Floors 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Crackers, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in that commercial - that's the various ways we have of opening beer "Down Under". Can't imagine why it would be banned, probably the guy who opened it with his forehead :D :D .

Cheers, Danny